Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today updated its Street View app for iOS, finally adding support for the iPhone X's display eight months after the device's launch.

Google Street View is designed to allow users to explore different locations and landmarks around the world using the Street View feature. The app also allows users to create photo spheres with the iPhone's camera, and today's update also improves support for rendering 360 degree panos.

googlestreetview-800x646.jpg
What's New
- Support for iPhone X
- Improvements for rendering 360 panos
Google had been slow to update some of its apps for the iPhone X, but made progress this month first with Inbox by Gmail and now Street View.

Many of Google's most popular apps now work properly with the iPhone X, two months ahead of when Apple is expected to release new iPhone models that will use the same notched design and taller display.

Article Link: Google's Street View App for iOS Gets iPhone X Update

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
Still think the home bar and notch ruins everything. Both are ugly. I mean I get why they are both present (especially the home bar) but still it makes it look an eyesore.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Home bar?

That is what the bar at the bottom of the screenshots above is called. Like the Home button before it, interacting with the Home bar will take the user to the Home screen, using gestures in place of button presses.

noraa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Still think the home bar and notch ruins everything. Both are ugly. I mean I get why they are both present (especially the home bar) but still it makes it look an eyesore.

I wouldn't be surprised if the home bar disappears sooner than later as users become used to the swipe gestures. The notch, however, isn't going anywhere due a while.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
The home bar is my biggest complaint playing games like asphalt it doesnt go away soon as u touch screen to steer it comes back it ruins games why cant apple just give option to hide it i know how to use my phone i thought ios 12 would hide it but nope

Reactions: roncron

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
That was fast. It only came out last year..
This is exactly why Apple cannot and should not rely on Google Maps to be the sole map provider for iPhones, Google will always treat iPhones as a 2nd-rate customer market. Apple should continue having and improving Apple Maps, so iPhone users will always have two options.

Reactions: Tozovac

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
That was fast. It only came out last year..
I know right.

This is exactly why Apple cannot and should not rely on Google Maps to be the sole map provider for iPhones, Google will always treat iPhones as a 2nd-rate customer market. Apple should continue having and improving Apple Maps, so iPhone users will always have two options.
Apple shouldn't rely on Google to be the sole map provider. I agree. There are good reasons for that train of thought. This (iPhone X notch update) however, is not an example of a good reason. No vendor really prioritized updating their apps for the notch... including Apple. Kinda hard to throw shade at 3rd party apps when Apple was slow as heck updating their 1st party apps for the X. I think we had an article on MR about 3-4 months ago detailing apps that weren't iPhone X updated. Apple had apps on that list. One would think if updating for the notch was so important, all of Apple's apps would have been updated. If not at introduction, at least shortly thereafter.

AbblePC

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Isn’t this standard for Google/Android devices as well? Put out a new device through various manufactures, split the OS into multiple versions of the same and then end users wait almost a year for updates to its software if at all? Whereas iOS users are used to Apple updating software to ALL on a regular basis, so this seems out of par us.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Please Apple. Come out with “Street View” for Apple Maps.

Please Apple. Wake up and permit users to select alternate map apps. Your maps app is permanently deleted from my iPhone until it works as efficiently as Google Maps and until get past this flat design low-contrast light-color fad and you re-populate your color palette with darker, more contrasty colors so I can actually use your phone in the sun/outdoors.

Perhaps if you were "courageous" enough to re-institute the ability to rate your apps in the app store, you'd receive some helpful feedback. ;)

[doublepost=1532619618][/doublepost]
The home bar is my biggest complaint playing games like asphalt it doesnt go away soon as u touch screen to steer it comes back it ruins games why cant apple just give option to hide it i know how to use my phone i thought ios 12 would hide it but nope

Boy wouldn't it be nice if there was a separate home button that's separate from the screen area, so it's out of the way at times and so users could use it when wearing gloves?
[doublepost=1532620543][/doublepost]
No vendor really prioritized updating their apps for the notch... including Apple. Kinda hard to throw shade at 3rd party apps when Apple was slow as heck updating their 1st party apps for the X. I think we had an article on MR about 3-4 months ago detailing apps that weren't iPhone X updated. Apple had apps on that list. One would think if updating for the notch was so important, all of Apple's apps would have been updated. If not at introduction, at least shortly thereafter.

As someone who's not played with an X and is not as up to date on what the X does that an SE doesn't (since I'm the last customer on earth who actually prefers a smaller phone with a home button and headphone jack), what exactly can the X do that an app like Google Maps needs to adjust for? Using the two areas on either side of the notch? Or some thing(s) more deep in the X feature-set that I'm just not aware of?

Last edited:
Reactions: stevie grant

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
As someone who's not played with an X and is not as up to date on what the X does that an SE doesn't (since I'm the last customer on earth who actually prefers a smaller phone with a home button and headphone jack), what exactly can the X do that an app like Google Maps needs to adjust for? Using the two areas on either side of the notch? Or some thing(s) more deep in the X feature-set that I'm just not aware of?
It doesn't do anything. It's purely cosmetic.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
When I get an iPhone XI later this yeah I’ll be glad (nearly) all my apps will suit the screen!
Check out the mobile transit pass apps like San Diego's Compass Cloud or San Francisco's Muni Mobile! GAHH come on, these are large cities with extensive public transit, and their apps still look like they're designed for the iPhone 4. At least the one for Phoenix fits the X like its supposed to and looks nice.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Check out the mobile transit pass apps like San Diego's Compass Cloud or San Francisco's Muni Mobile! GAHH come on, these are large cities with extensive public transit, and their apps still look like they're designed for the iPhone 4. At least the one for Phoenix fits the X like its supposed to and looks nice.

Well I'm from Australia and currently using a 6S so I wouldn't know those apps, here we pretty much only have on app statewide for NSW called Opal. It doesn't support iPhone X nor has our government made any real attempt to bring the NFC card process to Apple or even Android Wallet.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Well I'm from Australia and currently using a 6S so I wouldn't know those apps, here we pretty much only have on app statewide for NSW called Opal. It doesn't support iPhone X nor has our government made any real attempt to bring the NFC card process to Apple or even Android Wallet.
Guess governments in any country can’t make a halfway decent app. Because government is government.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.