Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Griffin Technology has announced that its BreakSafe Magnetic USB-C Power Cable for the 12-inch Retina MacBook, including the new Early 2016 model introduced earlier this week, will start shipping on Monday, April 25.

Griffin-USB-C-BreakSafe-Cable.jpg

BreakSafe is a magnetic breakaway power cable for USB-C laptops such as the 12-inch MacBook which, unlike the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, does not feature Apple's proprietary MagSafe technology first introduced in 2006.

The cable, originally announced at CES 2016, has a quick-release magnetic connector that plugs into the 12-inch MacBook's USB-C port and safely disconnects from the rest of the cable when under stress or strain, such as tripping over the power cord.

BreakSafe's magnetic connector is 12.8mm deep, while the USB-C cable is six feet (1.8m) long. The cable, compatible with USB Power Delivery and rated up to 60 watts, is for charging power only and does not support data and video.

BreakSafe can be ordered now for $39.99 on Griffin's website ahead of April 25 shipping.

Article Link: Griffin's $40 BreakSafe Power Cable Brings MagSafe to the 12-Inch MacBook Starting April 25

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
They need to figure out a way to make the connector shorter. I remember a kickstarter for something similar for phones had a really short connector. The current connector looks like it could get caught and damage the port.

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
I wouldn't want a little tumor sticking out of my $1500 new Macbook. In my 7 years owning Macbooks I've never tripped on a cable. Is USB-C really that strong of a connector that the cable wouldn't pop out?

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
They need to figure out a way to make the connector shorter. I remember a kickstarter for something similar for phones had a really short connector. The current connector looks like it could get caught and damage the port.
https://znaps.myshopify.com

Still waiting for mine, lightning connector, but I believe they have a USB C connector as well

Reactions: vjl323

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
this is nice...and also that it is USB-C based and as such any maker can make something similar. i have REALLY liked the magsafe connector on MBP

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Ahhh, MacRumors logic. "It has never happened to me, therefore it will never happen to anybody."
The MagSafe connector is also simply a nicer connector to plug in and unplug. Sometimes one can plug it in without even touching the cable (by putting the laptop close enough to the connector such that it plugs itself in).

More often than tripping over the cable, I picked up my laptop and instead of yanking out the cable in a way that might damage the cable at the MagSafe connector end, it disconnected gracefully.

Last edited:

Ziggy...

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2011
Methuen, MA
What do you mean little Tumor? It's a wire that breaks in two when tugged on. The end doesn't stay in your computer.

Of course the little end stays in your computer... The "tumor" remains plugged into the USB C port at all times, getting in the way when you put the laptop in your bag etc.

Justim

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2011
That looks rather large. I could see myself in a worse situation using this product than the official cable.

But aside from my own use, no data or video slaughters the concept of a magnetic adapter. It would have been awesome to quickly switch out different devices magnetically.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So we get a giant knob on the computer and we lose just about any kind of expandability?

Wondering if this will work on other USB-C devices?

mwhetnall

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2015
https://znaps.myshopify.com

Still waiting for mine, lightning connector, but I believe they have a USB C connector as well

I'm still waiting as well. If you go to their newer site (Znaps.net) I don't think they offer the usb-c option anymore. I remember reading a Kickstarter update regarding why but I don't remember why it's not offered anymore.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Magsafe is such a good invention i've started hacking them and using them all kinds of things around the house - my main implementation was for my Subpac which connects to your chair, but has audio and power going to it - pulled out some magsafe cables and receiver parts from eBay and soldered it all together - now it doesn't rip the box off every time I get up out of the seat!

Reactions: AngerDanger

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Of course the little end stays in your computer... The "tumor" remains plugged into the USB C port at all times, getting in the way when you put the laptop in your bag etc.
Why do you say that? Surely it'll work like a normal cable so you can unplug it? Why would you leave it attached? The name "break safe" implies it's there for protection against cable snagging rather than for quick connection.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Why do you say that? Surely it'll work like a normal cable so you can unplug it? Why would you leave it attached? The name "break safe" implies it's there for protection against cable snagging rather than for quick connection.

Go look at the pics, clearly a piece stays in you computer. You can unplug that piece but if it works as it's designed, its breaks away from your computer. not in your computer.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Go look at the pics, clearly a piece stays in you computer. You can unplug that piece but if it works as it's designed, its breaks away from your computer. not in your computer.
Yes but you use it the same way as a normal MagSafe power cable. It's only meant to split when the cable is snagged. You don't have to leave the adopter sticking out all the time.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
I'm still waiting as well. If you go to their newer site (Znaps.net) I don't think they offer the usb-c option anymore. I remember reading a Kickstarter update regarding why but I don't remember why it's not offered anymore.
I bet they will start offering it once they get the other two into production

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Magsafe is such a good invention i've started hacking them and using them all kinds of things around the house - my main implementation was for my Subpac which connects to your chair, but has audio and power going to it - pulled out some magsafe cables and receiver parts from eBay and soldered it all together - now it doesn't rip the box off every time I get up out of the seat!
I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of this contraption. :)

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Yes but you use it the same way as a normal MagSafe power cable. It's only meant to split when the cable is snagged. You don't have to leave the adopter sticking out all the time.

Some people just don't get it. At first, it seems you leave the nub in all the time, but the nub serves no purpose, so yes, you plug the whole thing in to charge, unplug the whole thing when you're done (or want to use that ONE port for something else) and if you trip over the cord or drop the Macbook, the connector breaks into two as it's supposed to do.

Those who think you're supposed to leave the nub in the port don't think outside the box much. :)

Reactions: Mike Oxard

NickD73

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
Arizona
Guess we have to learn to rely upon 3rd party software and hardware in order to enjoy our Apple products now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.