Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kissmo

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I installed yesterday iOS 8 GM on my iPhone 4s.

Today morning when my iPhone rang to my surprise my Mac mini 2012 and my mid 2011 iMac started to ring.
Since then all my calls are visible on all my Macs.

iPhone's bluetooth is Disabled.
All devices are in the same WIFI network.

I haven't gotten any luck with continuity. I am running both mac mini and iMac on Yosemite latest DP.
I sincerely doubt we will need bluetooth for the handoff.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I installed yesterday iOS 8 GM on my iPhone 4s.

Today morning when my iPhone rang to my surprise my Mac mini 2012 and my mid 2011 iMac started to ring.
Since then all my calls are visible on all my Macs.

iPhone's bluetooth is Disabled.
All devices are in the same WIFI network.

I haven't gotten any luck with continuity. I am running both mac mini and iMac on Yosemite latest DP.
I sincerely doubt we will need bluetooth for the handoff.

I think bluetooth needs to be ENABLED on your iPhone for it to work...

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I believe you that you have Bluetooth off, I'm just saying that is probably why Continuity is not working, as you need BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) for it to work.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Interesting, I didn't expect it to work with the 4S. I've got 4 of those so that will be good (I think, or it will drive me crazy).

On a side note, how well (does it slow down a lot?) does the 4S operate with iOS8?

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
for full functionality you need to install a wifi ac/bt4.0le card, while the 2011 has bt 4.0 le it doesn't have wifi ac.

Also regular texting thru continuity was pushed back till octoberish

Lastly iPhone 4s is not supported with handoff though it does send voice calls thru if you have the wifi ac/ bt 4.0le card installed.

I assure you I've been researching this for months and these are my findings.

kissmo

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
for full functionality you need to install a wifi ac/bt4.0le card, while the 2011 has bt 4.0 le it doesn't have wifi ac.

Lastly iPhone 4s is not supported with handoff though it does send voice calls thru if you have the wifi ac/ bt 4.0le card installed.

I am sorry I mixed.
Continuity works - handoff doesn't

So I can get calls on my mac - the others don't really work.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
I am sorry I mixed.
Continuity works - handoff doesn't

So I can get calls on my mac - the others don't really work.

Calls are all you are going to get with the card in the computer and an iPhone 4s. They stripped handoff out of the 4s upgrade. If you don't believe me read the bottom of apples continuity page...
Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 10.52.38 AM.png

rmercier

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
So, let me get this right...Not only do you need BT LE 0x6, you also need wifi a/b/g/c?

So, all this talk about handoff working on a mid 2011 MBA is BS?

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
So, let me get this right...Not only do you need BT LE 0x6, you also need wifi a/b/g/c?

So, all this talk about handoff working on a mid 2011 MBA is BS?

wifi a/b/g/n/ac. There is no c. The only place where they said 2011 would be fully compatible with all of handoff features was rumor sites.

hunterghutto

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014

Do you happen to have the part number for the card and any adapter it may require? I have been looking everywhere and it seems as the card from a 2012 will fit fine but i have read somewhere that an adapter is needed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.