Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NightOne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
TN
I am traveling so I didn’t get to watch the event video but just read the Macrumors live blog (thank you for that) and seen the announcement.

Has Apple lost their damn mind???

So the price of entry for an M1 Ultra chip is $3799 for 512GB SSD drive or $3999 for 1TB

FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS AND YOU GIVE ME A 1TB DRIVE!!! This is 2022 and your high end Mac debuts with a 1TB drive. Are you kidding me???

That is not even counting how overpriced it us to start with … HOLY BATBUCKS

Maxed out build is $7999 !!!

and let’s talk about the dispay you will need … not a 32” … not a 30” but a 27” 5K display for $1600 !!!

Want to adjust the height on that display then add $400 for A STAND. A FOUR HUNDRED DOLLAR MONITOR STAND.

And now I am reading 27” iMac is discontinued.

There is not an instrument made that can measure how disappointing today’s event was for me. My feeling are literally hurt. I feel like an idiot for being an Apple guy for the last 17 years.

The rest of that crap they announced in fancy new colors was total crap too.

Anyone else this upset?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Basically the low-end Mac Studio M1 Ultra = double everything of the low-end Mac Studio M1 Max... so they charge double too...
Low-end Mac Studio Max only has 512 GB.... ahum.
So, yeah.. I agree for these prices the minimum storgee should at least be doubled.

But, hey.. this is Apple. They have always done this... even putting HDD in iMacs which were NOT cheap only a few years back...

I kinda like the "better" Mac Studio M1 Max (10 Core CPU 32 Core GPU) with 64 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD.. that feels like an "okay" price / performance Mac.

kindkind

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2007
I was bummed they didnt drop the M1Pro into the mac mini, but i bought the studio for $2599 32gb 2tb. It is a little overkill for me, dont need the gpu that the max has. On second thought maybe i should cancel my order and grab the macbook pro m1Pro...

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I am traveling so I didn’t get to watch the event video but just read the Macrumors live blog (thank you for that) and seen the announcement.

So the price of entry for an M1 Ultra chip is $3799 for 512GB SSD drive or $3999 for 1TB

FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS AND YOU GIVE ME A 1TB DRIVE!!! This is 2022 and your high end Mac debuts with a 1TB drive. Are you kidding me???

and let’s talk about the dispay you will need … not a 32” … not a 30” but a 27” 5K display for $1600 !!!

Want to adjust the height on that display then add $400 for A STAND. A FOUR HUNDRED DOLLAR MONITOR STAND.

There is not an instrument made that can measure how disappointing today’s event was for me. My feeling are literally hurt. I feel like an idiot for being an Apple guy for the last 17 years.

Anyone else this upset?
Nope

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
Their $5999 Mac comes with 512GB storage.

So no, they did not lose their mind. They just did what they usually does.

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 04.19.47.png

rdavis41

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009

Anyone else this upset?
I agree with this sentiment. Thought today's Announcement was bleh. Might be a side effect of 6 months of supply chain issues. And the Mac Studio is obviously a niche product. Love the monitor though, but not at that price point.

Eliott69

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2019
There is not an instrument made that can measure how disappointing today’s event was for me.
Quite the opposite here – I find it inexpensive. I just ordered both the nano-textured monitor with adjustable stand and the maxed out Mac Studio.

Based on my experience with the transition from my maxed out 2019 16" MacBook Pro to the maxed out 2021 one, I expect a lot from Mac Studio. The maxed out 2019 16" MacBook Pro was (and is) a great machine, but the three months with the 2021 one are like I'm working on a different level. And I have that experience daily – I have a 2019 at work and a 2021 for work at home.

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
the Mac Studio is obviously a niche product
Exactly this. The Studio is a computer for pretty specific group of users - basically high-end video, animation and audio. The sort of people who don't blink at spending $3k-$15k on a new camera or $1-3k on a new lens.

High end Windows workstations for this purpose are also very expensive. (I'm sure others will provide more detailed comparisons in the coming days, but they aren't cheap.)

For almost everyone else, it's going to be overkill. That's what the Mac mini, the iMac and the laptops are for.

There is not an instrument made that can measure how disappointing today’s event was for me. My feeling are literally hurt.
I would respectfully suggest that there's no need to feel hurt. Maybe these machines are simply intended for a different audience?

Last edited:

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I was bummed they didnt drop the M1Pro into the mac mini, but i bought the studio for $2599 32gb 2tb. It is a little overkill for me, dont need the gpu that the max has. On second thought maybe i should cancel my order and grab the macbook pro m1Pro...

Price wise the MBP would cost you the same for lower specs.
Unless you actually need a laptop, I wouldn’t.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Considering the price for a Mac Studio configuration that would meet and exceed my needs, spread over a ten-year projected lifetime (like my iMac)... I can't say I was shocked. I can see how someone else might be, of course, if they upgrade more often or don't use the computer to make a living (which I don't do with my personal Mac).

Last edited:

kpluck

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2018
Sacramento
In my opinion no, they haven't but I kind feel like you have.

There is nothing about this announcement of new hardware and it's pricing that seems unusual given past Apple announcements. Just because a product doesn't make economic sense to you, doesn't mean there aren't those who will find these new offerings compelling. In fact, given Apple's sales, revenue, and profit, it seems pretty clear they know exactly what they are doing.

-kp

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
Pricing looks about right based on where the laptops are. My only disappointment is that there is no M1Pro option that would bring the higher memory options without all the cost for the graphics cores I don't really care about. So it's 16GB or a Max. I'll be curious to see what the upgraded model that will be stocked in the stores will be. For the 14" It's the Maxxed Max with 64 and 2TB so I'm guessing we will see one like that, but they offered no 16GB version of the Mini in stock in stores. Also never any iMac Pro other than Base, so who knows.

I like the form factor and I/O though I'm thinking an OWC TB3 hub is looking good right now.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016

Anyone else this upset?
drivels of a peasant. Apple says you either make the money and cough up the cash to buy our products or look at the plethora of great cheap alternatives on the PC side. Judging from my experience with macOS Monterey so far I'm actually about to jump ship.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.