Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UFGatorMel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Ever since the update to Mavericks my MacBook Pro does not recognize my external hard drive as the Time Machine drive whenever I connect it. I always have to go in and select the disk.

I do not have this same problem on my husband's iMac, it recognizes it with no problem.

Any idea why this is going on? I tried internet searches and came up with nothing or maybe I'm just not understanding what I am reading. :D

UFGatorMel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
We each have our own Mac. He has an iMac and I have a Macbook Pro. The External Hard Drive is not connected to the network. I physically connect it to each Mac to do backups. When I connect it to his iMac the drive is recognized as the Time Machine drive. When I connect it to my Macbook the drive is mounted but is not recognized as the Time Machine drive until I go into Time Machine and select it.

I did not have this issue until Mavericks. Until then the external hard drive was recognized as the Time Machine drive on both the iMac and my MacBook.

quickie14

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2012
This happens to my MBP, but only until Time Machine runs. Which only happens when the power is connected on my MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.