Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seandroid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Canada
Nqb91az.jpg

LuZJmkX.jpg

iDIe5zN.jpg

cD5s3pL.jpg

I compared this to my mini w/Retina and it's absolutely shameless... Like... Completely ridiculous, down to the ring around the camera, the chamfered edge, the aspect ratio, the placement of everything...

They even bothered to imitate the antenna and the SD card slot is where the SIM card tray is on the iPad mini...

How is this even remotely okay?

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012

I compared this to my mini w/Retina and it's absolutely shameless... Like... Completely ridiculous, down to the ring around the camera, the chamfered edge, the aspect ratio, the placement of everything...

They even bothered to imitate the antenna and the SD card slot is where the SIM card tray is on the iPad mini...

Does look very similar. But hey, if it worked for Samsung…

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Damn what is it called? If this price is good I would buy, details man!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, besides it clearly works ... You picked one up ;)

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Their website showed 4 models in that form from 149-179 but the specs they showed were all the same

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

Posted this back in January.

Link: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1692442/

khha4113

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
It's the new Bay Trail Atom (ARM) not the old Atom x86 in netbooks or cheap laptops.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Last I checked, Apple doesn't have exclusive rights to a 4:3 aspect ratio. That said, a lot of the design elements on that tablet is obviously copying the iPad's.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Of course atom exists. And it isn't bad anymore. I'm told it is actually good.
I wasn't dissing the Mighty Atom. Until last weekend I'd had several years of excellent service from a 1.66GHz Samsung N310 (aka 'Go') running 10.6.6. He was a sturdy little fellow, but my daughters finally managed to kill the charging socket.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I wasn't dissing the Mighty Atom. Until last weekend I'd had several years of excellent service from a 1.66GHz Samsung N310 (aka 'Go') running 10.6.6. He was a sturdy little fellow, but my daughters finally managed to kill the charging socket.

You should ask Spinedoc about the new atoms, he's had a lot more experience from what I'm told.

Seandroid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Canada
Last I checked, Apple doesn't have exclusive rights to a 4:3 aspect ratio. That said, a lot of the design elements on that tablet is obviously copying the iPad's.

Of course not, it's just painfully obvious why they did that. They pretty clearly only did it to rip off the iPad's design.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Commercial fail...watch the video on the acer website. The "geeky" know-it-all touts the tablet's high-res crisp display. Look at the tech specs, it has the same resolution as the iPad Mini 1st gen!

Plus I like how they're all outside looking at the tablet, yeah..I'm sure they could see perfectly!

Funny. But...the thing is intriguing for $179. I wish they had a better screen and a better battery (according to Acer it is rated for 7 hours, or based on the commercial, long enough to last "the whole party").

*sigh*

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I've seen cheaper models emulating the iPad (Archos, Prestigio) but I would have thought Acer a little more intelligent with theirs with Apple's design patents on their hardware.

multipad-4-1.jpg

The world is rife with iPad-alikes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.