Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
any of you have both the retina macbook and an ipad pro 9.7 or 10.5?

does it makes sense?

Makes perfect sense to me. I use both daily (have gone from Air 2 to 9.7 pro to 10.5 pro since getting my 2015 MacBook). I use the iPad as my notepad/folder/binder replacement or second screen for the MacBook via Duet, and I use the MacBook for word processing and other "traditional" computer tasks.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That's my combo (rMB and 10.5" iPad Pro). They are for different purposes. I use both macOS and Windows 10 on the MacBook for applications like Office 2016, Quicken, and TurboTax. The iPad is better for content viewing, note taking and light editing. Duet Display lets the iPad serve as a second monitor.

effineji

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2017
Germany
Yep. 2017 MacBook + ipad air2 here. Reading long form articles, watching videos all while lying down is so much better with an ipad, but if I'm going to be typing, opening up lots of links, moving files around, posting stuff, it's so much better with the MacBook. I really like having both.

Reactions: Neodym

Scorcher

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2017
Makes total sense.
I recently got the MacBook, and I have the iPad Air 2. they are good at different things.
the MacBook is best at data entering , writing and multitasking. the iPad is good for reading, and general media consumption.

Reactions: Neodym

nurotic

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
An iPad is a nice gap fill for situations you can't use your MacBook. I commute a lot and trying to use a MacBook on a crowded train or while waiting in a queue, walking down the street is awkward, when you think about how easy it is to whip out your iPad.

vidsmart

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2010
Makes absolute sense for me for the reasons several other posters mentioned, and they fit perfectly together in my "man-purse." Of course it depends on one's use case but for me it is hard to imagine ever changing that set-up.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Answering the OP: yes, for me and my lifestyle it makes sense. I have the 2016 12" MacBook and I also have the 9.7 iPad Pro and the first-gen 12.9 iPad Pro. Each of them gets used in various ways on various occasions to fulfill certain functions. The 12 MacBook gets used at home in the evenings and also travels with me. The 9.7 iPad Pro also travels with me, not just on trips but also is the one I pop into my bag when going out-and-about in my local area, when I'm attending meetings or getting together with friends. I also use it to read in bed from time to time. The 12.9 iPad Pro stays at home, but it's the device that goes out on my deck with me in nice weather and keeps me current with my online life even when sitting outside and just hanging out. At times it, too. has been what I use to read in bed. I'm no artist but I do have the Apple Pencil and use that as a stylus, primarily, rather than as a drawing tool.

When with friends or at a meeting I like being able to quickly pull my iPad Pro 9.7 out of my bag and look up something on the internet, add new contact info to my contacts list, new meeting dates to my calendar, etc. Both of my iPads have cellular data, shared with my iPhone, so that even if I am in a location where there is no WiFi I can still get on the internet to do what I need. For travel on public transportation (train, plane) it is much easier and less space-consuming to use the iPad rather than the MacBook. I use the MacBook when in a hotel room or at a friend's home, especially if I have a lot of typing to do or something I want to download.

If someone said to me that I could have only ONE of these devices, I probably would go with the MacBook, because I still prefer the full MacOS experience and functionality rather than iOS. (Of course that may change when we get iOS 11.) If someone said that I could have two of these devices, meaning that I would have to choose between the two iPads, I probably would go with replacing the iPad Pro 9.7 with the new 10.5, which in the long run would be more versatile for my various uses. Fortunately no one has dictated to me what I can or cannot have, so I am still mulling over whether or not I want to sell or trade in my iPad Pro 9.7 for the new 10.5. I certainly would appreciate the increased storage capacity, for one thing, along with the other new features. However, I'm waiting a little longer until the first rush is over and availability is not an issue.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I went the other way and sold my MacBook and replaced it with a 10.5. I think it totally makes sense though if you need macOS for a good amount of tasks. I had only a few and adapted my workflow to iOS 11.

borgusio

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Sure, I use both: best combination.
At the same weight and in a smaller package than a MacBook pro you have all advantages of MacOS and of iOS.

I travel a lot and I use the MacBook mostly for content creation and advanced office use.

The iPad is my companion to take notes and in general do anything I need with the stylus. Plus I use it to read magazines while travelling.

Sometimes I may leave the MacBook on the desk attached to a monitor at the client's office and go to another meeting with the iPad.

Finally, from time to time I use the iPad as second monitor for the iPad and as scanner for documents that than I archive with the MacBook.

Reactions: nexu

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
iPad isn't a computer. Don't bother if you need a computer.
TRUELALEY sister SO TRUE, Macbook Retina 12 inch as a laptop is too small especially if you have an iPad. Cuz i have Retina macbook 12 inch, it feels extremely close compared to my 10.5" iPad, or even for iPad 9.7 users. lol

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have a regular iPad 5th gen along with a 2016 rMB. If I had to give one up, it would definitely be the iPad, but I love having both of them.

My favorite use of the iPad, is as a portable external display for my MacBook! Duet Display works great for documentation or toolbars. I think having a 12.9 iPad Pro would make this an even better combo!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.