Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moel

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
There is no blu-ray inside any mac. However they will play hi def anything in a file such as an mkv etc etc

nineohtoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
SF Bay Area
Bluray rips play just fine on a 320m. I've yet to test it on a tv or monitor though since my MDP to HDMI adapter is still in the mail.

elleana

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
I believe an external bluray player would work fine in bootcamp. There is no native OSX bluray player software though.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Does anyone know if the 13"MBP can play HD movies without framerate issues?

If they are HD files with the proper h.264 encoding they should play perfectly with Quicktime, XBMC or Plex (10.6.3 or higher).

If you want to play Blu-Ray discs then you need an external drive (USB2 is sufficient), Make MKV and VLC for disc playback. Just be aware that some very high bit rate discs will have dropped frames. You also lose menus and HD audio is only 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS.

arcadehj2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2007
ah okay thanks,
so even the 13 inch mbp could run a 1080i movie without stuttering right?

moel

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
yes...as long as you aren't expecting to just pop a blu-ray in and for it to work.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
will the 13 inch or regular res 15 do 1080p? I though only the 17 could do 1080p

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
From their site:
Even though Mac OSX currently lacks software to play Blu-ray movies, you can run BootCamp off your Mac and use PowerDVD in Windows to play your Blu-ray movie. It's that easy. Lightweight and compact, this external drive can go with you anywhere and will make life easier and a lot more fun. *Note: Apple's QuickTime software does not (yet) support the decoding and playback of encrypted Blu-ray movies. Therefore you cannot watch commercial (Hollywood) Blu-ray movies using Mac OS X. However, if you have Windows XP or Vista installed on your Macintosh, you can use PowerDVD software to decrypt and watch commercial Blu-ray movies via Apple's BootCamp environment.

Therefore any Blu Ray drive put in a external enclosure would work.

DanMacApple

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Too bad OS X would not at least support blu-ray playback as I am fine with purchasing a seperate drive if that was the only option.

hypermog

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
I'm glad your asked about Bluray because it spurred me to investigate. Here's a drive that appears to be Mac compatible and affordable:

http://fastmac.com/blurayext

"*Note: Apple's QuickTime software does not (yet) support the decoding and playback of encrypted Blu-ray movies. Therefore you cannot watch commercial (Hollywood) Blu-ray movies using Mac OS X. However, if you have Windows XP or Vista installed on your Macintosh, you can use PowerDVD software to decrypt and watch commercial Blu-ray movies via Apple's BootCamp environment."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.