Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2000
So i am interested in getting a Mac Pro, may wait till quad cores come in Nov.

Does anyone know about the ability for me to stick a blu-ray drive in the optical bay?

also? what about HDCP? and HDCP compliant monitor?

I want the ability to watch movies and more on there. even author home HD movies from HD camcorder to Blu-Ray.

SO....

What is the ability there for me to do all this? and soon?

The ATI x1900 card is not HDCP.... is there one compatible with the mac that will be? or is?

Can i add an aftermarket PC x1950 card? that card is compatible with HDCP.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
You're talking about two different things.

HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) is a copy protection scheme designed to protect the transmission of HD content from being intercepted between the player and the display. This is to prevent piracy of films etc.

HDMI is simply a connector that combines digital video output and sound into a single, small connector.

HDCP works over both HDMI and DVI - the new Dell 2407 is HDCP-compliant over its DVI input and as such you can use it with a HD content delivery device.

I think that once Apple includes HD-DVD or Blu-ray interfaces in the Mac we will see HDCP-compliant DVI video cards and monitors. I'm not sure if it would be possible to retroactively apply HDCP via a firmware update for the video card, certainly not the monitors.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2000
darn ...
just hoping a way to do this. because Apple seems to be AWOL on it currently.

yeah i don't mind DVI, don't have a thing for HDMI, just whatever works.

have the cables already, so no biggie.

Just want to be able to get the HDTV working on the mac.

But i guess if i want this rig as a mac. HAVE TO WAIT LONGER

oh apple. hurry up already. Standards are here. just release hardware to work with them

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
mdntcallr said:
darn ...
just hoping a way to do this. because Apple seems to be AWOL on it currently.

yeah i don't mind DVI, don't have a thing for HDMI, just whatever works.

have the cables already, so no biggie.

Just want to be able to get the HDTV working on the mac.

But i guess if i want this rig as a mac. HAVE TO WAIT LONGER

oh apple. hurry up already. Standards are here. just release hardware to work with them

HDTV and HD downloaded content will work just fine. It's only Blu-ray/HD-DVD that requires the HDCP scheme.

HDMI is DVI. It's DVI+audio with a different plug.

But yeah, I doubt Apple will give us anything HDCP-compliant on the Mac side until they start offering Blu-ray or HD-DVD drives in the Mac.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2000
thanks for the feedback thoughts.

Yeah i know some content will work fine. but to be honest. i am a big movie person. and have a dvd collection.

want to make that a blu-ray collection. so you can understand how i just want to get the equipment to be able to do that. maybe later on get a HD camcorder. but not have to buy a mac, then later get a new vid card. or even monitor ... then have to get a different one.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I've been getting different information from different people on this. Some are saying that HDCP will be necessary for all HD disks, but other are saying that it is only essential for media with the ICT tag, which is unlikely to be used until 2010 at the earliest. Anyone know for sure?

Davod

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.