Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meowcat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
South Florida
Hi folks. I know this has been discussed to no end but I'm still not getting anywhere. I prefer to shoot and save my photos in jpeg format. In order to change the default from HEIF to jpeg, the entire internet says with iOs 11, simply go to settings>camera then select "formats", then "most compatible". Sounds simple. I have an iPhone 6s and I updated to iOs 11 a couple days ago. The problem is, none of those settings show up anywhere in any of the camera or photo settings. Current version on my phone says 11.0.3
Anybody have any idea what's going on?

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Hi folks. I know this has been discussed to no end but I'm still not getting anywhere. I prefer to shoot and save my photos in jpeg format. In order to change the default from HEIF to jpeg, the entire internet says with iOs 11, simply go to settings>camera then select "formats", then "most compatible". Sounds simple. I have an iPhone 6s and I updated to iOs 11 a couple days ago. The problem is, none of those settings show up anywhere in any of the camera or photo settings. Current version on my phone says 11.0.3
Anybody have any idea what's going on?
The 6s cannot shoot photos in HEIF. Only can view them. Must have an iPhone 7 or newer to shoot in the new format.

meowcat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
South Florida
Thanks, Chazzle. But why, since the iOs 11 update, can I no longer get my photos onto my PC? All of the photos I took before the update show up fine. All of the photos I took after the update don't show up at all. I figured it was because my PC doesn't see the HEIF format. So you're saying my 6s, even after the update, is still shooting and saving in jpeg?

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Thanks, Chazzle. But why, since the iOs 11 update, can I no longer get my photos onto my PC? All of the photos I took before the update show up fine. All of the photos I took after the update don't show up at all. I figured it was because my PC doesn't see the HEIF format. So you're saying my 6s, even after the update, is still shooting and saving in jpeg?
Not sure what’s going on with not seeing your new photos on your PC, but yes. Your iPhone 6s is still shooting and saving in the jpeg as that is all the hardware can handle. It can view HEIF photos using software decoding, but the processor cannot handle shooting and saving in the new format.
https://www.macrumors.com/guide/heif-macos-high-sierra-ios-11/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.