Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guitarmas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Hey everyone,

I have a 2010 Imac. I'm trying to reinstall High Sierra from internet recovery. It keeps telling me that "the recovery server could not be contacted."

I've tried everything. I've set the date and time correctly. My internet connection is fine. I've reset the PRAM.

What am I missing?

So frustrated.

*edit
I've also tried downloading multiple MacOs's and used Transmac to create multiple bootable USB drives. Every time I tried to boot using the option key, it never shows the USB drive.

Getting ready to throw the computer against the wall.
(Not really though. I love my Imac)

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I have a 2010 Imac. I'm trying to reinstall High Sierra from internet recovery. It keeps telling me that "the recovery server could not be contacted."

I've tried everything. I've set the date and time correctly. My internet connection is fine. I've reset the PRAM.

What am I missing?

So frustrated.

*edit
I've also tried downloading multiple MacOs's and used Transmac to create multiple bootable USB drives. Every time I tried to boot using the option key, it never shows the USB drive.

Getting ready to throw the computer against the wall.
(Not really though. I love my Imac)

My general sense from other comments by those with experience is to just skip tinkering with Transmac, as there are issues which tend to come up on the Windows end of things which render making an installer for macOS simply not work. Apple got very particular with how one can install the post-Snow Leopard builds os OS X and macOS.

A question: are you able to boot into anything on the hard drive inside your iMac, or does the hard drive have nothing it can boot into? If you can’t boot into something, then you will probably want to find somebody with a working Mac of whatever age so you can do a direct download of High Sierra.

There are a couple of ways you can then grab a standalone copy of High Sierra: 1) follow this page’s link to take you to the App Store’s direct download link for High Sierra; or 2) use a feature in dosdude1’s High Sierra Patcher utility to direct-download the macOS Installer application for High Sierra (under Tools > Download macOS High Sierra…).

From either of these, you should have the standalone application (the former should be found in the /Applications directory of the Mac onto which you downloaded it; for the latter, the patcher tool method (I’d feel more confident trying first), will download wherever you directed the download tool to save the installer application).

Several of the steps in dosdude1’s patcher instructions can be useful for helping you set up the install for High Sierra on your iMac, even though your iMac doesn’t need any kind of special patching to install High Sierra. Namely, his patcher utility is able to take that downloaded macOS Installer application for High Sierra and set it up it on a bootable USB drive from which you can then use to boot into and install High Sierra on your iMac. Your bootable USB disk needs to be set up with a GUID partition scheme (GPT/GUID) in Disk Utility, and you want to make the one partition an HFS+ with Journalling (or HFS Extended Journalled). Your USB disk/thumb drive should have at least 16GB available to use.

A third method to consider: if you lack have access to a second Mac but do have access to the original, grey DVDs which shipped with your iMac, you can re-install, then update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8, completing all updates/security updates/etc. with Software Update. Once you’re done, you should then be able to use that first link above to reach the link to High Sierra, via the App Store. From there, you should be able to download and then install High Sierra over Snow Leopard, or install to a separate partition on the iMac’s hard drive.

[A FINAL NOTE: it is possible a reason you haven’t successfully used recovery mode to get High Sierra to install might be related to an issue Apple had to address, around October 2019, when Apple re-posted several versions of the macOS installer with updated security certificates. Depending on whatever revision of the recovery partition that was on your iMac, it might be trying to grab the pre-2019 recovery installer for High Sierra.]

Reactions: TheShortTimer

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
[A FINAL NOTE: it is possible a reason you haven’t successfully used recovery mode to get High Sierra to install might be related to an issue Apple had to address, around October 2019, when Apple re-posted several versions of the macOS installer with updated security certificates. Depending on whatever revision of the recovery partition that was on your iMac, it might be trying to grab the pre-2019 recovery installer for High Sierra.]
Related to this, have you tried booting it to recovery and then changing the date in terminal to 2019, and then installing?

Guitarmas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Thanks.

I've had Kubuntu installed on it for a little while. The installer showed right up when I booted the system.

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro. I'm trying to create a bootable USB on this system. There are tutorials online but it requires me to go into Terminal. The command "sudo" isn't recognized as an actual command.

Shouldn't I be able to create a bootable USB on that system for my Imac?

Thanks.

I've had Kubuntu installed on it for a little while. The installer showed right up when I booted the system.

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro. I'm trying to create a bootable USB on this system. There are tutorials online but it requires me to go into Terminal. The command "sudo" isn't recognized as an actual command.

sudo is a prefix to the command you want to use. It informs the kernel you want to perform the command as one with root-level access.

Shouldn't I be able to create a bootable USB on that system for my Imac?

You should, yes, assuming that 2012 MacBook Pro is running some version of OS X/macOS.

Guitarmas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
sudo is a prefix to the command you want to use. It informs the kernel you want to perform the command as one with root-level access.

You should, yes, assuming that 2012 MacBook Pro is running some version of OS X/macOS.

Yes. It's running Catalina.

Shouldn't I be able to just download the DMG image and do a simple burn to a thumb drive?

Shouldn't I be able to just download the DMG image and do a simple burn to a thumb drive?

There won’t be a .dmg (as with Snow Leopard and earlier iterations of OS X). All that changed radically with Lion.

There will be a .app application which launches the installer for High Sierra, but to launch that installer, you already need to be booted into a pre-High Sierra build of OS X/macOS. The application itself isn’t its own standalone operating system — not without letting it unpack to set up the scripts within the application which handle all that in an ordinary installation setting. Those scripts are completely out of the user’s hands.

This was why I asked whether your 2010 iMac already has a working build of OS X/macOS on it. Separately, that dosdude1 High Sierra patcher utility has the ability to set up a USB thumb drive to be a bootable volume with the installer for High Sierra.

What about easy opencore?

OpenCore Legacy Patcher/Project (OCLP) is a community-based initiative which picks up where dosdude1’s patchers for unsupported Macs left off (he covered up through Catalina). OCLP covers Big Sur and above. For example, if you wanted to install Monterey on your iMac, you would want to use the OCLP patcher utility.

For what you want, High Sierra, just stick with the simplest path and let dosdude’s patcher utility prepare your USB thumb drive with a bootable HS installation.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I have a pre-owned MacBook Pro 2015 that was on Monterey when I bought it... Because of my experience with iOS 9 on iPhone 4s, I decided to use internet recovery and downgrade it to the earliest version it supports... I was able to downgrade it to High Sierra and get it fully updated with the final security update for it... However, sometime in April or May, when I tried internet recovery again to reinstall High Sierra, I get the same error as the OP is getting, recovery server could not be contacted...

After multiple attempts, it always ended up the same way, same error, so I decided to use internet recovery to get the latest version supported, which is Monterey, then download and create bootable flash drive for older macOS versions, and I had to do ut several times...

I was able to install Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey with the bootable flash drive and I was able to get the latest security update for each except High Sierra... I don't know why High Sierra cannot check for updates when I just reinstalled Yosemite and El Capitan, and I was able to get the latest security update without any issues...

Could it be that Apple found something in High Sierra or they decided to block access to it when using internet recovery and also prevent it from checking for updates? I don't know but it seems to be isolated to High Sierra only and older versions are not affected...

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021

You can download DMG versions of Lion, Mountain Lion, Yosemite, El Capitan, and Sierra from the Apple website... For High Sierra and newer, just use the App Store links from the Apple website...

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hey everyone,

The reason is quite apparent from the error message.
It's Apple fault, not yours.
I got the same issue when trying to do Internet Recovery on my iMac 2011.
Sometimes it downloaded to halfway then hang forever... very frustrating.

Finally I gave up and use the classic way of USB installer.

Guitarmas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Thanks! I'm in the process right now.

Attachments

• 20230720_172317.jpg
    20230720_172317.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: B S Magnet

Misheemee

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
My general sense from other comments by those with experience is to just skip tinkering with Transmac, as there are issues which tend to come up on the Windows end of things which render making an installer for macOS simply not work. Apple got very particular with how one can install the post-Snow Leopard builds os OS X and macOS.

A question: are you able to boot into anything on the hard drive inside your iMac, or does the hard drive have nothing it can boot into? If you can’t boot into something, then you will probably want to find somebody with a working Mac of whatever age so you can do a direct download of High Sierra.

There are a couple of ways you can then grab a standalone copy of High Sierra: 1) follow this page’s link to take you to the App Store’s direct download link for High Sierra; or 2) use a feature in dosdude1’s High Sierra Patcher utility to direct-download the macOS Installer application for High Sierra (under Tools > Download macOS High Sierra…).

From either of these, you should have the standalone application (the former should be found in the /Applications directory of the Mac onto which you downloaded it; for the latter, the patcher tool method (I’d feel more confident trying first), will download wherever you directed the download tool to save the installer application).

Several of the steps in dosdude1’s patcher instructions can be useful for helping you set up the install for High Sierra on your iMac, even though your iMac doesn’t need any kind of special patching to install High Sierra. Namely, his patcher utility is able to take that downloaded macOS Installer application for High Sierra and set it up it on a bootable USB drive from which you can then use to boot into and install High Sierra on your iMac. Your bootable USB disk needs to be set up with a GUID partition scheme (GPT/GUID) in Disk Utility, and you want to make the one partition an HFS+ with Journalling (or HFS Extended Journalled). Your USB disk/thumb drive should have at least 16GB available to use.

A third method to consider: if you lack have access to a second Mac but do have access to the original, grey DVDs which shipped with your iMac, you can re-install, then update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8, completing all updates/security updates/etc. with Software Update. Once you’re done, you should then be able to use that first link above to reach the link to High Sierra, via the App Store. From there, you should be able to download and then install High Sierra over Snow Leopard, or install to a separate partition on the iMac’s hard drive.

@B S Magnet thank you sooooo much for sharing this - I tried a million different things and this one finally made installing high sierra work!! Very gratfeul to you for highlighting it, and @dosdude1 for creating it - awesome work @dosdude1 💥💥💥

Reactions: B S Magnet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.