Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uisim151

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
Milky Way, planet Earth
Ok so coming from android I did not have to deal with new os version not being signed. Having just read the post recommending to update to 7.0.4 made me want to backup my evasi0n7 jail broken 5s in case I brick my phone as this happened quite often with android at least.

Now, when I back up through iTunes is it necessary to update app data as well, because without app data the whole backup is only 120mb and I dont understand how that would help a bricked phone? I do not care about tweaks, I just simply want to restore to a fresh phone with only the jailbreak and cydia installed. Also, are there any recommended 3rd party backups apps? In the past I had trouble restoring from iTunes and often got errors.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I got bad news for you.
If something happens and you need to restore your iphone and 7.0.4 is not signed any longer then there's nothing you can do besides restoring to the latest ios version that Apple signs and then wait for the next JB.
I know, it sucks a lot that you cant backup the state that its in now and shsh blobs are useless currently and only could work for an iphone 4 but nothing higher.

uisim151

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
Milky Way, planet Earth
I got bad news for you.
If something happens and you need to restore your iphone and 7.0.4 is not signed any longer then there's nothing you can do besides restoring to the latest ios version that Apple signs and then wait for the next JB.
I know, it sucks a lot that you cant backup the state that its in now and shsh blobs are useless currently and only could work for an iphone 4 but nothing higher.

Eh lame... looks like I just have to get more info on what tweaks I apply. Thanks for the quick reply at least I didn't waste time looking heavily into this. hopefully there aren't as many anomalies with tweaks assuming I use the recommended and confirmed working ones. My old htc one x failed too many times downloading different roms.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Yes, try to research them a little before you install anything that you come across on cydia.
There is cydia safe mode where if a package causes issues you can go in and remove it and then hope everything goes back to normal.
I'd rather avoid the risk and stick to a few well known packages that I know function right.
I stick to the basics and install stuff that I use and need only.

uisim151

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
Milky Way, planet Earth
Yes, try to research them a little before you install anything that you come across on cydia.
There is cydia safe mode where if a package causes issues you can go in and remove it and then hope everything goes back to normal.
I'd rather avoid the risk and stick to a few well known packages that I know function right.
I stick to the basics and install stuff that I use and need only.

cydia safe mode is something I was hoping for too so thanks for that.
also a bit off topic. I had a problem where safari and other stock apps force closed after a bad tweak. I uninstalled the tweak but only after someone recommended I reset all settings it finally worked. I read it can mess up the jailbreak but I still have mine, no problems, new tweaks work, root access, everything works superb. Should I be worried and restore while I can or does that not apply to evasi0n7 5s?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
cydia safe mode is something I was hoping for too so thanks for that.
also a bit off topic. I had a problem where safari and other stock apps force closed after a bad tweak. I uninstalled the tweak but only after someone recommended I reset all settings it finally worked. I read it can mess up the jailbreak but I still have mine, no problems, new tweaks work, root access, everything works superb. Should I be worried and restore while I can or does that not apply to evasi0n7 5s?

If it works now then I wouldn't bother with a restore.
Was it appsync that was giving you those issues?

uisim151

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
Milky Way, planet Earth
If it works now then I wouldn't bother with a restore.
Was it appsync that was giving you those issues?

yea, ha, i didn't want to mention it in case people automatically assume I pirate apps. just wanted a older version of app before a update i did not like. lesson learned any way tho on shady apps. Is it normal tho? Does it frequently mess up the JB on new devices? I know it may be too early to answer that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.