Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mohamed Kamal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
Can I use it with my friend’s .edu email but use my own credit card? (my friend is a school teacher that lives in another state).
Another question: if I order a keyboard in another language from apple, obviously I would get that language alongside english right? Lol
Thanks in advance!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Can I use it with my friend’s .edu email but use my own credit card? (my friend is a school teacher that lives in another state).
Another question: if I order a keyboard in another language from apple, obviously I would get that language alongside english right? Lol
Thanks in advance!
A computer will only come from Apple with one keyboard.
The educational discount is not intended to be used by someone other than the qualified person.

Ericdjensen

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield,VA
They ask for proof in store but online it doesn’t even ask you. I have a student email and was ready to enter it but I completed the order and it never asked

Reactions: mcru21

Mohamed Kamal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
The educational discount is not intended to be used by someone other than the qualified person.

thanks!

Education store: so what if I used my friend’s credit card to order but then shipped to my address. Would this cause any legal issues for my friend in the future?

keyboard: so if I order an arabic keyboard from apple it will only have arabic character symbols on the keys, and no english?
[automerge]1592634469[/automerge]
They ask for proof in store but online it doesn’t even ask you. I have a student email and was ready to enter it but I completed the order and it never asked

Thanks!
So would this not cause legal problems for me down the line? Specially given that I’m getting the offer with the free airpods. The apple document says that they can charge the extra cost to my credit card, and also, I don’t want to do anything that is illegal lol.
By the way, is there a way to contact apple support other than phone number?

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
I called Apple once about this. They were fine with me ordering an iMac with edu discount as someone in my family is a teacher. They just wanted to see their school ID by email after the purchase, and I had to put their name at my address for the delivery.
if you're not sure, call apple, they'll explain what is OK and what isn’t.

Reactions: Mohamed Kamal

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Come on, gang! The Apple Education discount has very specific conditions.

“2. Apple Education Pricing. Available to current and newly accepted college students and their parents, as well as faculty, staff, and homeschool teachers of all grade levels. Quantity limits apply. Visit Sales & Refund Policy for full terms and conditions.”

See https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/back-to-school Look for footnote 2 at the bottom of the page.

If you don't meet the conditions, you are NOT eligible. It's that simple. It doesn't matter if you can get away with it — or, that sometimes they don't ask — it's a matter of whom the program is set up for!

These questions always crack me up. “Is it OK for me to pretend to be something I’m not, so that I can save $100?!” “And, sometimes, get a free Beats headphone?”

Using someone else's email address and pretending to be an educator when you are not is unethical — no ifs, ands, or buts.

Here are more specifics at Apple's Sales & Refund Policy link.

Eligibility

Those eligible to purchase from the Apple Store for Education Individuals include faculty, staff, students and parents as follows:

K12 - Any employee of a public or private K-12 institution in the United States is eligible, including homeschool teachers. In addition, school board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members are eligible. PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers are eligible.

Higher Education - Faculty and staff of Higher Education institutions in the United States; and students attending, or accepted into a Higher Education institution in the United States are eligible to purchase. Purchases from the Apple Store for Education Individuals are not for institutional purchase or resale.

Higher Education Parents - Parents purchasing on behalf of their child, who is a student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States, are eligible to purchase.”

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
keyboard: so if I order an arabic keyboard from apple it will only have arabic character symbols on the keys, and no english?
There will also be English letters printed on the keyboard. Not all letters and characters may be in the same location or the same physical shape as a standard US keyboard. You can see pictures of the Apple Magic Keyboard on Apple's site to see what the layout might look like.

Mohamed Kamal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
I called Apple once about this. They were fine with me ordering an iMac with edu discount as someone in my family is a teacher. They just wanted to see their school ID by email after the purchase, and I had to put their name at my address for the delivery.
if you're not sure, call apple, they'll explain what is OK and what isn’t.
Thank you :)
[automerge]1592673912[/automerge]
There will also be English letters printed on the keyboard. Not all letters and characters may be in the same location or the same physical shape as a standard US keyboard. You can see pictures of the Apple Magic Keyboard on Apple's site to see what the layout might look like.
Oh okay! Thanks
[automerge]1592673954[/automerge]
If you go to the Apple Support page, you'll see all of the available contact options for your area.
I can’t seem to find another option. Maybe it’s not available in my area. Thanks
[automerge]1592674188[/automerge]
Come on, gang! The Apple Education discount has very specific conditions.

“2. Apple Education Pricing. Available to current and newly accepted college students and their parents, as well as faculty, staff, and homeschool teachers of all grade levels. Quantity limits apply. Visit Sales & Refund Policy for full terms and conditions.”

See https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/back-to-school Look for footnote 2 at the bottom of the page.

If you don't meet the conditions, you are NOT eligible. It's that simple. It doesn't matter if you can get away with it — or, that sometimes they don't ask — it's a matter of whom the program is set up for!

These questions always crack me up. “Is it OK for me to pretend to be something I’m not, so that I can save $100?!” “And, sometimes, get a free Beats headphone?”

Using someone else's email address and pretending to be an educator when you are not is unethical — no ifs, ands, or buts.

Here are more specifics at Apple's Sales & Refund Policy link.

Eligibility

Those eligible to purchase from the Apple Store for Education Individuals include faculty, staff, students and parents as follows:

K12 - Any employee of a public or private K-12 institution in the United States is eligible, including homeschool teachers. In addition, school board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members are eligible. PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers are eligible.

Higher Education - Faculty and staff of Higher Education institutions in the United States; and students attending, or accepted into a Higher Education institution in the United States are eligible to purchase. Purchases from the Apple Store for Education Individuals are not for institutional purchase or resale.

Higher Education Parents - Parents purchasing on behalf of their child, who is a student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States, are eligible to purchase.”

Thank you for your answer!
i’m not trying to do anything unethical, I just want to know what is okay and what is not. If apple doesn’t intend for the educational discount to be used in this way, then I’m not going to do it, even if I technically could. @JonnyBlaze said that apple didn’t mind him using it with a family member’s school ID, so if that was the case I think it’s ethically acceptable :) if apple tell me that it’s not, then I won’t use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: pbrey1017

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Problem with edu discount is that if your friend orders one for you with free headphones, the he won't be able to order from edu store and gain headphones for himself in 1 year period. But still he will be eligible for edu discount, but not free airpods.
I am eligible for edu discount, but now refurb prices seems to be more appealing.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
After what my fiancé went through the past five months with her third grader learning remotely, I think America’s number of teachers increased by 100 million. :)

Reactions: adrianstuartt

Fidgit

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
I mean why you seem to be suggesting is basically fraud, so knock yourself out.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
FWIW - at least some college campus stores extend EDU pricing to alumni. I've now done this twice, from two different institutions (my undergrad and grad schools). Each did validate my alumni status. No "fraud" involved.

As far as I know anyone can order from Apple's online EDU store. They apparently do audit some portion of the purchases, and if you cannot provide proof they'll charge the different to your card. So if you're good with taking a risk you needn't include your friend in your scheme.

Yes, but they also often have more than one character printed on each key.

From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201794

1592922768859.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.