Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDryCleaner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Hi All -

Last night I went into my 4 yr old's room to give her a kiss, tuck her blankets in and all...

Underneath her bed was my iPad .... my brand new wifi + 3g iPad .... which she was hiding .... because of the giant crack in the screen that was the result of her dropping it .... which she was hoping to keep her little secret, hence, hiding it under the bed.

So....my question is: Since I HAVE purchased Applecare is there ANY chance I get to just take this thing into the store and get a new one or am I screwed?

Thanks ... and Frick.

P.S. The cutest little 4 yr old girl is possibly up for adoption.

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
Hi All -

Last night I went into my 4 yr old's room to give her a kiss, tuck her blankets in and all...

Underneath her bed was my iPad .... my brand new wifi + 3g iPad .... which she was hiding .... because of the giant crack in the screen that was the result of her dropping it .... which she was hoping to keep her little secret, hence, hiding it under the bed.

So....my question is: Since I HAVE purchased Applecare is there ANY chance I get to just take this thing into the store and get a new one or am I screwed?

Thanks ... and Frick.

Sorry....you are hosed.

Just my deal.....and I don't have kids.....but small children will be lucky too see my iPad dorm a distance.... Touching it is completly out of the question.

Steve

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Hi All -

Thanks ... and Frick.

I don't think AppleCare would cover this. But I would certainly try.

My four kids absolutely love the iPad. I watch them like a hawk though when one of them is holding it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Applecare: no. It does not cover abuse.

Visa/AMEX: maybe. There are many cards (I know my AMEX has it) that has accidental damage replacement coverage for the first 90 days after purchase. Usually this is on the gold/platinum cards. So check your CC and see if it has this feature. Its one reason I only use my AMEX for major purchases.

I watch them like a hawk though when one of them is holding it.

Unless you can fly like a hawk, what good is it. They can drop it in a split second.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Please don't tell me it was the 64gb.

AppleCare may side with you. More than likely, though, you're SOL.

Thank goodness your daughter means more to you than iPad - man's supposed next best friend.

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
I havent got an iPad yet, but if this happened to me I don't know how I would react lol.

good luck with getting it repaired.

windroll

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
I think you'll get a new replacement for the price of $100 or more, I remember a member in this forum cracked his iPhone or was it iPad touch and got a replacement for a fee.

Your daughter is cute for hiding it like that, it shows that she knew she did something wrong. And you're a cool dad for letting a 4 yr old play with your iPad un-supervised, smart for purchasing AppleCare, too. :)

Edit: might cost more to repaire, but certainly won't be the cost of a new iPad.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
i got my mother one too, ill be teaching her how to use it ( and playing with it my self) but she is very happy. it didn't come in yet but my little brother let the cat out of the bag:D

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Take her to the Apple store and let her tell them what she did. When they hear her say "I bwoke my Daddy's iPad" they'll melt and give you a new one.

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
If you have personal property insurance, that might cover it...I would check into that with your insurance provider if apple care does not cover it.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Put the girl on Craigslist. You may be able to buy a new iPad then.

Skystar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I have a 8yr old boy and 4yr old girl, who both have their own ipod touches. When they want to check something out on my iPad i make sure it's on my bed surrounded by pillows! Cute little ones!

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Just out of curiosity, if they won't replace it for the OP, how much would Apple charge to replace a broken screen?

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
For any future purchases, Best Buy sells a 1yr extended warranty that covers breakage, etc for $129. Unless Apple veers from their warranty they will not cover damage. I feel sorry for your girl but ipads need supervision. maybe she took it without you knowing. hope it works out. I'm sure she feels horrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.