Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dezza.1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Hi

I have started to face a problem over the past few weeks and have no idea why. I run a windows based pc with iTunes to hold my library, connected via Ethernet to the router. I then access this via my atv 2 iPad and iPhone however over the past few weeks the home sharing has dropped out on the pc at random intervals of usage meaning that no device can access the data. To get this running again I have to disable home sharing through iTunes and active again.

This also happens if I'm half way through a movie, the movie will just stop and I can no longer access the pc.

To test that this wasn't a router issue I enabled home sharing on my MacBook and have experienced no problems with it dropping out.

Does anyone have any experience or advise to get this resolved?

Thanks

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
no clue i have an issue with home sharing on everything except the apple tv. my ipad2 ipodtouch 3gen and iphone 4 in shared tv shows it shows only 3 tvs repeating down the page were i should have more than that

WillPwr

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
Not sure if this will apply to your scenario, but I just had a home sharing issue that was due to a firewall setting on one of my PC that seemed to have changed after a windows update....so maybe look into that or your security software.

Basically in my scenario everything was sharing except this one PC that used to do it without issues. Ended up that iTunes was not selected as allowed through the firewall anymore.

Again...not sure if this applies to your case, but worth a look...

dezza.1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Not sure if this will apply to your scenario, but I just had a home sharing issue that was due to a firewall setting on one of my PC that seemed to have changed after a windows update....so maybe look into that or your security software.

Basically in my scenario everything was sharing except this one PC that used to do it without issues. Ended up that iTunes was not selected as allowed through the firewall anymore.

Again...not sure if this applies to your case, but worth a look...

Thanks for the advice, I've just checked the firewall though and iTunes is allowed through so unfortunately it can't be that.

GoodersGB

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
UK
Thanks for the advice, I've just checked the firewall though and iTunes is allowed through so unfortunately it can't be that.

Sounds like a Windows issue!! Two things I would consider is

1/ can you disable the FW for a while to test if the connection still drops. Microsoft are renowned for updating The FW with updates. If the connection is mantained thn a leat you know the route cause.
2/ check time sync on your devices. As I have read that if the devices are out with time this can cause issues with home sharing. Based on your description check the PC as for all devices to stop it would point to the Windows PC.

Failing that.... buy a Mac!! ;)

Good luck

Swiler05

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
Hi

I had the same issue where it all worked fine and then started to randomly have problems and tried everything (including disabling firewalls etc)

Eventually I realized (with apple supports help) that I had interference on the home network. The interference was being caused by my airport express which I used to connect a stereo

Once I unplugged this it all started to work normally again

Anything potentially causing interference on your network

dezza.1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Sounds like a Windows issue!! Two things I would consider is

1/ can you disable the FW for a while to test if the connection still drops. Microsoft are renowned for updating The FW with updates. If the connection is mantained thn a leat you know the route cause.
2/ check time sync on your devices. As I have read that if the devices are out with time this can cause issues with home sharing. Based on your description check the PC as for all devices to stop it would point to the Windows PC.

Failing that.... buy a Mac!! ;)

Good luck

I'll give these ideas a go to see if either can help out.

Buy a mac... I've got a MacBook pro which I find amazing but just isn't right for a media centre when I have soo much stored!

dezza.1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Just To let everyone know if they read this thread, the solution was found by backing up the library files, un installing iTunes and reinstalling it.

Once recovering the library files everything worked perfectly again, no idea what the fault was but hey it's fixed now.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I doubt if it's a Windows problem. I have all Macs in my house and since the recent Airport Utility upgrade and associated Airport and Capsule firmware update, my Apple TV does not speak to my mac mini been told to check they are on the same wifi network. Don't know why, because up until the update, the two were very happy together. And they are too far away to link with ethernet cable. My Apple TV (AT2) is upto date

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.