Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

homepod-speaker-1-250x262.jpg
A new HomePod firmware update due to be released in the fall could include some significant new features for Apple's smart speaker.

French tech blog iGeneration reports that a beta version of the software currently in internal testing enables HomePod users to make calls and answer them, ask Siri to Find My iPhone, and set multiple timers on the device.

Currently, HomePod owners who want to use the built-in speakerphone feature must make or receive a call on their iPhone and then switch the audio output to the HomePod when the call connects. With the beta software, however, the HomePod appears to have access to the user's contacts, allowing them to initiate the call directly on the speaker.

In addition to the above, the report suggests HomePod users could soon be able to listen to voicemails and search their call history over the speaker. Improvements to Siri's general knowledge are also hinted at, including specific enhancements to the virtual assistant's food and nutrition knowledge base.

Lastly, the report mentions a new Wi-Fi feature that appears to allow HomePod users to switch the speaker to another wireless network as long as a paired iPhone knows the password. As it stands, users can only choose which network to connect their HomePod to during the initial setup.

As with all beta software, these features may be changed, delayed, or removed completely by the time the firmware is officially released.

The last software update for HomePod came with iOS 11.4.1, but it was limited to stability and quality improvements. We'll know more about what's in store for HomePod in September or October, when Apple releases iOS 12, along with watchOS 5, tvOS 12, and macOS Mojave.

Article Link: HomePod OS 12 Beta Software Said to Support Multiple Timers, New Phone Call Features, and More

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Great news - calls were the biggest feature I missed after switching from the Echo, and this would make HomePod the only platform that can actually answer incoming calls. Find my iPhone I've been using a homebridge module I created for it but native support is more than welcome. Multiple timers is extremely basic functionality and it probably should have shipped with it.

I'm very happy Apple is putting work into the HomePod even though sales are supposedly not stellar. I just bought 5 for my house and replaced all of my Echos and even my sound bar with them.

Seems odd they wouldn't cover any of this at WWDC though.

Last edited:

multipasser

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2010
Question. Can you use the homepod as a speaker only via wifi/bluetooth and turn of all other 'spy' features like siri/microphones ect??

LaraCroft835

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
Please let me choose another tone or music for the alarm. Also, “hey Siri” turns off alarm (should it?).

Also, “available in the fall”... not everyone lives in northern hemisphere; why not just say “3rd quarter” or a calendar month?
should know by now that the US is the centre of the universe lol
[doublepost=1532341323][/doublepost]
You can’t even make a call with current homepod??? Why do they even call it a smart speaker?
the fact that iPad iMac and Apple Watch can all do calls what's one more device

Reactions: martyjmclean

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
You can’t even make a call with current homepod??? Why do they even call it a smart speaker?
You couldn't make voice calls on an Echo until 3 years after it came out, Google Home couldn't for nearly a year after it came out... Echo just got text messages in February, and Google Home still can't send them - a feature HomePod had at launch.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
The original French article also says OS 12 will improve Siri's general knowledge, and specifically mentions food and nutrition facts and knowledge of 'great personalities' - which I think means celebrities and historical figures.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
You couldn't make voice calls on an Echo until 3 years after it came out, Google Home couldn't for nearly a year after it came out... Echo just got text messages in February, and Google Home still can't send them - a feature HomePod had at launch.
Yes but random commenter on internet recently told me ‘Apple bad, and HomePod bad’. Surely a positive comment must therefore be untrue, mustn’t it? ;-)

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Please let me choose another tone or music for the alarm. Also, “hey Siri” turns off alarm (should it?).

Also, “available in the fall”... not everyone lives in northern hemisphere; why not just say “3rd quarter” or a calendar month?
Because the 3rd quarter in Apple Earnings parlance is April through June... and the specific month may change (see the HomePods original release...)
[doublepost=1532342815][/doublepost]Stuff like Find My iPhone doesn't make sense for anyone but HomePod owners who live alone. Until Siri starts recognizing specific voices all the personal features can cause more problems than good.

But overall I am very excited about iOS 12, etc. Big improvements

Last edited:

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Stuff like Find My iPhone doesn't make sense for anyone but HomePod owners who live alone.
Presumably you'd be able to locate other phones that are part of your family as well, since you can on the App.

Bswails

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
Presumably you'd be able to locate other phones that are part of your family as well, since you can on the App.

Family share would be the ideal way Apple introduces multi user voice support on home devices(Apple TV, iPads ,HomePod)

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

Development of features takes time. For example, the Amazon Echo came out in 2014 and didn't get this feature until September 2017, less than a year ago. Apple is moving quickly with adding features, but I would rather they take their time. Feature parity in regards to Siri is definitely lacking a bit on the HomePod, but what it's supposed to do - it does very well. I replaced 3 Echo's with 2 HomePod's and everything is better.

Reactions: sidewinder3000

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
Stuff like Find My iPhone doesn't make sense for anyone but HomePod owners who live alone. Until Siri starts recognizing specific voices all the personal features can cause more problems than good.

Do you need voice recognition for that? I would think it'd be as simple as saying 'Hey Siri, where is John's iPad?' vs 'Hey Siri, where is Jane's iPad?'

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Question. Can you use the homepod as a speaker only via wifi/bluetooth and turn of all other 'spy' features like siri/microphones ect??

HomePod cannot be used as a Bluetooth speaker, and if you want a Bluetooth speaker, there's plenty of choices for that.

You can pretty much only use HomePod as
  • an AirPlay 1/2 speaker
  • a Siri-controller speaker
There's no line-in or anything. So if you don't want Siri, maybe you should look into different AirPlay speakers.
[doublepost=1532346182][/doublepost]
Multiple timers...finally. But if it's only on the HomePod, that would be strange. Hopefully this means it'll be a 12.1 feature.

That would be my guess — that they'll roll it out as part of iOS 12.1, tvOS 12.1, watchOS 12.1, audioOS(?) 12.1. There's no rush to ship it as part of the x.0 updates.
[doublepost=1532346251][/doublepost]
Do you need voice recognition for that? I would think it'd be as simple as saying 'Hey Siri, where is John's iPad?' vs 'Hey Siri, where is Jane's iPad?'

Does Find my Device support family sharing yet? Cause otherwise, that wouldn't really work, since the devices are tied to a main iCloud account.
[doublepost=1532346459][/doublepost]
I could be wrong but I think they call it HomePod and not smart speaker?
I don't recall Apple labeling this as a smart speaker but I could be wrong.

I mean… yes and no. Their splash page does explicitly say:

HomePod is great at the things you want to know, and do, in your home. From getting the latest weather to sending messages and controlling your smart home accessories, Siri makes it easy to multitask with just your voice.

But most of the page focuses on audio, not on "smart" features. Whether this discrepancy is because some people would like it to be more of a smart speaker (meaning Apple is offering exactly what they're promising to), or because it should be more of a smart speaker (meaning Apple is lagging behind) is kind of subjective.

A lot of tech journalism seems to place it in the same realm as Amazon Echo and Google Home, and one can argue that that's not really Apple's problem to solve.

Reactions: ErikGrim

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017

Well, Apple in California does.

Saying Fall gives a window.

Reactions: G5isAlive
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.