Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
This thread will be super long but this is the experience I've had in the past five weeks.

I have been to the Hong Kong ifc mall Apple Store 11 times in five weeks just to get my early-2011 15" high-res MacBook Pro fixed. No words can describe my disappointment, anger and frustrations.

I am extremely caring, cautious and meticulous to my Macs. I wipe them with a lint-free microfiber cloth and a cleaning solution weekly. The machine has always looked completely new since the purchase in July 2011.

On January 9, 2012, I brought my machine to the Apple Store for repair because the Tab key magically fell off. Apple's policy seems to be to replace the entire top case for any keyboard or trackpad issues. Five days later, when I went back to pick up the machine, the bottom aluminum plate was not flushed. The Genius told me to come back the next day and they would finish fixing it by then. But they didn't when I came back.

I was told to wait another three days to allow them to re-order the top case and replace it again. Three days later, when I came back to pick up the machine, the aluminum lid was scratched.

The Genius was generous enough to immediately offer a display replacement, but they said that it would take two weeks. I was allowed to bring the machine back home during that time. I had never received a call since then, until I decided to call the store in the third week. The Genius told me the display was ready.

I went to the store the next day to let them replace the display. Four hours later I picked up the machine. I confirmed that there was no scratches, bought a display protector somewhere else, and went home.

After applying the protector, I proceeded to starting using the machine. I realized they replaced the wrong display - the low-res version was installed instead.

I went to the store, again, the next day and complained about it. The store manager offered a replacement MacBook Pro to me. I thought it was over. But it wasn't.

Three days later a dead pixel appeared on the screen. I called the store and confirmed that they would fix the machine, and so I went to the store. I was told that five to seven days would be required for them to order the display, and I was again allowed to continue using the computer at home until it was ready.

Three days later I received an email saying that the display was ready. I went to the store to drop off the machine the next day. I realized that the serial number of the older machine was entered, and therefore I asked the Genius about it. He told me that Apple had a complete history of repairs done to my Mac and that would not be a problem.

When I picked up the machine the next day, I discovered a scratch, again. This time on the top case. I was offered to replace the top case and talked to the manager on duty and she assured me that everything would be okay.

Hours later I went back to get the machine back again, but this time the keyboard was wrong, apparently due to the wrong serial number being entered. The Launchpad key became the Dashboard key, albeit the function remained to be to activate Launchpad.

The Genius told me that they would replace the top case again. The next day I picked up the machine and it was finally fixed, albeit a ton of fingerprints appeared on the screen. I did not complain about the fingerprints but I suspect that the display was replaced with an old, refurbished one as a revenge, as when I sent my computer in, I left the protective stickers on, but when I picked up the machine, they weren't there. The Apple logo was also scratched, which would be impossible if the sticker was left on. But I was so disappointed and I signed off.

Apple portrays itself as a company that pays extreme attention to perfection and excellence, but apparently I have yet to experience that. I just won't bring my machine to repair there ever again, instead I would just go for an authorized repair center.

Last edited:
Reactions: MANOJ91

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I did complain to the manager. But there's no phone number for customer relations in Hong Kong.

There is on this page found by a 10 second Google search.

And your thread title could be a bit more specific. I though you were going to complain about the store size or look.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I thought my Google was different than yours then? :rolleyes: There's clearly no number for customer relations.

NO Apple Store in the world has a specific number for customer relations. You speak to a manager at the store. If you don't get satisfaction, you kick it up to corporate.

MANOJ91

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
This thread will be super long but this is the experience I've had in the past five weeks.

I have been to the Hong Kong ifc mall Apple Store 11 times in five weeks just to get my early-2011 15" high-res MacBook Pro fixed. No words can describe my disappointment, anger and frustrations.

I am extremely caring, cautious and meticulous to my Macs. I wipe them with a lint-free microfiber cloth and a cleaning solution weekly. The machine has always looked completely new since the purchase in July 2011.

On January 9, 2012, I brought my machine to the Apple Store for repair because the Tab key magically fell off. Apple's policy seems to be to replace the entire top case for any keyboard or trackpad issues. Five days later, when I went back to pick up the machine, the bottom aluminum plate was not flushed. The Genius told me to come back the next day and they would finish fixing it by then. But they didn't when I came back.

I was told to wait another three days to allow them to re-order the top case and replace it again. Three days later, when I came back to pick up the machine, the aluminum lid was scratched.

The Genius was generous enough to immediately offer a display replacement, but they said that it would take two weeks. I was allowed to bring the machine back home during that time. I had never received a call since then, until I decided to call the store in the third week. The Genius told me the display was ready.

I went to the store the next day to let them replace the display. Four hours later I picked up the machine. I confirmed that there was no scratches, bought a display protector somewhere else, and went home.

After applying the protector, I proceeded to starting using the machine. I realized they replaced the wrong display - the low-res version was installed instead.

I went to the store, again, the next day and complained about it. The store manager offered a replacement MacBook Pro to me. I thought it was over. But it wasn't.

Three days later a dead pixel appeared on the screen. I called the store and confirmed that they would fix the machine, and so I went to the store. I was told that five to seven days would be required for them to order the display, and I was again allowed to continue using the computer at home until it was ready.

Three days later I received an email saying that the display was ready. I went to the store to drop off the machine the next day. I realized that the serial number of the older machine was entered, and therefore I asked the Genius about it. He told me that Apple had a complete history of repairs done to my Mac and that would not be a problem.

When I picked up the machine the next day, I discovered a scratch, again. This time on the top case. I was offered to replace the top case and talked to the manager on duty and she assured me that everything would be okay.

Hours later I went back to get the machine back again, but this time the keyboard was wrong, apparently due to the wrong serial number being entered. The Launchpad key became the Dashboard key, albeit the function remained to be to activate Launchpad.

The Genius told me that they would replace the top case again. The next day I picked up the machine and it was finally fixed, albeit a ton of fingerprints appeared on the screen. I did not complain about the fingerprints but I suspect that the display was replaced with an old, refurbished one as a revenge, as when I sent my computer in, I left the protective stickers on, but when I picked up the machine, they weren't there. The Apple logo was also scratched, which would be impossible if the sticker was left on. But I was so disappointed and I signed off.

Apple portrays itself as a company that pays extreme attention to perfection and excellence, but apparently I have yet to experience that. I just won't bring my machine to repair there ever again, instead I would just go for an authorized repair center.

that story was believable up to the 70% mark.
you lost me at 71% lol
i don't buy your story

are you kidding over reacting or exaggerating

anyway

its true i bet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.