Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Mine arrives in SF on Monday but no one will be here to receive it. I am thinking of using the will call option and picking it up at UPS. I do not have a car so will have to deal with public transit which can be pretty crowded in the evening. Is the overal box pretty small and easy to carry in one hand etc

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware

Wilbah

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
The actual shipping box is plain jane cardboard, with no exterior markings (good thing if traveling on mass transit) and is just big enough to fit the "branded" Apple box, (which has a picture of the MacPro on it). The box itself is measured at 13x13x16 on the shipping label.

Pretty small foot-print for a box, but then again the machine inside pretty small!

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
10" by 10" by 16", and they state the weight at about 12lbs with shipping materials.

So it depends on if that's something you feel comfortable carrying. Big and burly, no problem. Thin and geeky? it might get a bit awkward. But the box is just big enough that it might get uncomfortable carrying under your arm for an extended period, unless you have a good wingspan.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Thanks. The location of the UPS center in SF is pretty sketchy. Prob just take a LYFT car home. I could pay $5 and have UPS leave it at the UPS store down the street but that delays it another day and Monday is the bday so id prefer to get it then.

analog guy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Thanks. The location of the UPS center in SF is pretty sketchy. Prob just take a LYFT car home. I could pay $5 and have UPS leave it at the UPS store down the street but that delays it another day and Monday is the bday so id prefer to get it then.

it's not that sketchy. you'll be one of many people picking up brown cardboard boxes from UPS -- there aren't droves of criminals waiting to rob everyone who leaves the UPS depot, after all.

not sure where you live or what else you will be carrying but handling the box should be no problem for most able-bodied adults, and i don't think it would be a big deal on muni (it will take up space, so you'll be "that guy" on a crowded train, but people will deal).

failing that, there's always a cab or similar.

don't sweat it.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Smaller and more dense than you would expect it to be. Just like the whole machine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.