Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galaksy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
I have a MacBook, and 16GB USB. I am trying to burn the Windows ISO into the USB using Disk Utility, but don't know how. Please help me.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
In disk utility select the USB. Go to restore tab I think and it will say source and destination. Source is your ISO. Destination drag your USB into that space. Go. Gl

----------

Remember this will completely erase your USB. Disclaimer

galaksy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
When I click on Source, I can see the .iso but it's greyed out and I can't choose it.

ste0803

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Gateshead//Newcastle/UK
You dont need to mess around with all that now, just load up bootcamp assistant, have your iso file and usb ready and it will make the usb bootable for you and copy the windows files & the windows drivers.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
You dont need to mess around with all that now, just load up bootcamp assistant, have your iso file and usb ready and it will make the usb bootable for you and copy the windows files & the windows drivers.

If I recall correctly, not every Mac can do that. The ones with optical drives won't let you do that.

I remembered trying to do the same to my 15" early-2011 MBP and it wouldn't let me do that.

ste0803

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Gateshead//Newcastle/UK
If I recall correctly, not every Mac can do that. The ones with optical drives won't let you do that.

I remembered trying to do the same to my 15" early-2011 MBP and it wouldn't let me do that.

Oh, didnt realie there was a difference, i tried bootcamp on my air and it wasnt an option then (2013), i thought it must have been an option in the new OSX release.

galaksy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
I don't understand. I ejected it and it disappeared from both Finder and Disk Utility. If you eject it how can you burn the .iso on it.

galaksy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
By the way, is putting Windows into a USB on a Mac only possible with Windows 7, not Windows 8?

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
What Mac are you trying to do this on (year/size)? Also, make sure you are using a USB 2.0 flash drive, as the USB creation process (if your Mac supports it) tends not to work well with USB 3.0 models.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I don't understand. I ejected it and it disappeared from both Finder and Disk Utility. If you eject it how can you burn the .iso on it.

He meant you need to eject the ISO, not the USB drive.
It's the ISO that shouldn't be mounted.

And what exactly are you trying to do?
If you want the USB in order to install Windows onto a Mac just use Bootcamp.
If you want it just to have it then use Disk Utility because Bootcamp will modify the USB with Mac-specific instructions and drivers.

galaksy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
I'm trying to install the .iso on a new internal drive to go in my Windows laptop.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
You really should use a Windows machine if at all possible.
Some of the ISOs that are out there are not bootable so even if you did make a USB stick from it it wouldn't work.
That's the nice thing about Bootcamp and the Mac. It handles making it bootable.
There's a Windows program that makes all versions of the ISO bootable that you really should use for installation onto a Windows machine.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yes it does.
I've created bootable USB sticks for Windows 7 and Windows 8 on a laptop running XP.
You just have to have the right ISO.

galaksy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
bootable from USB? I want to install the Windows on the internal harddrive of the laptop, not boot from the USB.

galaksy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Yes it does.
I've created bootable USB sticks for Windows 7 and Windows 8 on a laptop running XP.
You just have to have the right ISO.

I don’t have a Windows computer but I could borrow someone else’s Windows running in Virtual Box on their laptop. Would that work?

I have Windows 8.1 that I torrented. Would that be problematic later? Someone said that I won’t be able to download any apps on a pirated W 8.1.

I did have free 8.1 when I got my HP Best Buy laptop, if I mention that at the Best Buy I bought it from, would they install 8.1 for free, since I have the rights to a 8.1 with the purchase of the laptop?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
A torrented Windows will work provided its genuine.
But you'll still need a genuine license key and if you use a pirated license -- that's when you'll run into trouble later.
The free 8.1 from Best Buy was likely a free upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 that you download from Microsoft.
You don't have the best buy computer any more?
You would need the 8.0 license from that computer to get the 8.1 upgrade.
The virtual Windows should work for building a bootable ISO but without a valid license key you're still going to be stuck.

galaksy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
A torrented Windows will work provided its genuine.
But you'll still need a genuine license key and if you use a pirated license -- that's when you'll run into trouble later.
what kind of trouble?

The free 8.1 from Best Buy was likely a free upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 that you download from Microsoft.
That is correct. Thanks.
You don't have the best buy computer any more?
I still have it. It’s the same laptop that I want to install a new hard drive and install a new W8 into it.

You would need the 8.0 license from that computer to get the 8.1 upgrade.
How do I know the license? Do I ask Best Buy?

The virtual Windows should work for building a bootable ISO but without a valid license key you're still going to be stuck.
Ok. Thanks.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I thought you were trying to install Windows onto your MacBook
:eek:

If you're just trying to install it onto a computer that originally came with Windows 8 then that's easier.
1) Get the ISO.
2) use the ISO to make a bootable USB installer
3) boot from the USB and install using one of the keys from this page
http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techno...zIiwid2luZG93cyA4IiwiZG93bmxvYWQgbGlua3MiXQ==
You need the correct key for the specific version of 8.0 that your computer came with. If you don't remember just do a google search for your laptops specs and it should tell you.
Those are installation keys only and will not work to activate a valid license.
Your actual license will be hard coded into the bios of the laptop and Windows will auto-detect it and auto-activate as soon as you get it connected to the internet.
Since the computer came with Windows 8.0 you can save yourself a lot of trouble by getting an ISO of 8.0 and forget about 8.1 for now.
Once you've got 8.0 installed you can then go to the Microsoft store and download the free upgrade to 8.1.

galaksy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
So where do I get the .iso for W8?
Would the torrented one be fine?
Also would I have to use the Virtual Box Windows to get W8 iso into the USB?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.