Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Last month I updated to Mojave and immediately found I had a problem opening up my Filemaker Pro files. Since I use the Filemaker for critical business information I did not want to spend any time trying to fix things which i did not have to. I used Time Machine and went back to the version of Sierra I had the day before. Although it took a very long time to go back, it did and everything worked as perfectly as before.

I do not want to update to Mojave at all. The differences in the OS were not that significant where i feel I am missing anything important. However, I am constantly reminded by a pop-up notification to install Mojave and given two options - Install or Details. The pop-up stays on the screen until I choose Details, which brings me to the APP Store upgrade page.

How do I take off all remnants of Mojave (It must still be on my computer or else it would ask me to download first)? How do I stop the incessant notification? I do not see any option on the upgrade page. I do not want to disable notification of upgrades for some of my other Apps, nor do I want to miss out on security upgrades. I definitely do not want to be bothered by Mojave again.

Thanks for your help.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Last month I updated to Mojave and immediately found I had a problem opening up my Filemaker Pro files. Since I use the Filemaker for critical business information I did not want to spend any time trying to fix things which i did not have to. I used Time Machine and went back to the version of Sierra I had the day before. Although it took a very long time to go back, it did and everything worked as perfectly as before.

I do not want to update to Mojave at all. The differences in the OS were not that significant where i feel I am missing anything important. However, I am constantly reminded by a pop-up notification to install Mojave and given two options - Install or Details. The pop-up stays on the screen until I choose Details, which brings me to the APP Store upgrade page.

How do I take off all remnants of Mojave (It must still be on my computer or else it would ask me to download first)? How do I stop the incessant notification? I do not see any option on the upgrade page. I do not want to disable notification of upgrades for some of my other Apps, nor do I want to miss out on security upgrades. I definitely do not want to be bothered by Mojave again.

Thanks for your help.
I have unfortunately no solution to suggest, but some information.
It has nothing to do with the fact that you had Mojave previously.
I get the same annoying pop ups to install Mojave in my 11 years old :eek:Macbook 4.1 which Apple intended just for 10.8 Lion and I managed with great effort (using a third part tool) to upgrade to Yosemite...and not futher:confused:
It is entirely ridiculous.
Those pop ups you mention are apparently spamming every mac without taking at all into account if it is suitable for that OS :mad: or is not.
Ed

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal

Thanks for your help.
In the upgrade page right click over the Mojave "banner" it will appear an option to hide the upgrade, or it used to, click that option

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My advice (not sure whether it will help or not):

Go to system preferences/app store.

UNCHECK EVERYTHING there -- essentially, disable all notifications about updates (of any kind).

From this point on, check for updates "manually".

I don't want ANYTHING "updating behind my back".
I don't even want to be told that "they're available".
I'll check myself now and then, thank you very much.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Go to system preferences/app store.
UNCHECK EVERYTHING there -- essentially, disable all notifications about updates (of any kind).
From this point on, check for updates "manually".
I don't want ANYTHING "updating behind my back".
I don't even want to be told that "they're available".
I'll check myself now and then, thank you very much.
Mojave works different. There is no longer an App Store System Preference. I agree, I also do not like stealth updates.

The Software Update>Advanced... System Preferences... is now the method to adjust App Store update preferences.

No_App_Store_Sys_Pref.jpg

Software_Update_pref.jpg

Software_Update_Advanced.jpg

EDIT: My mistake. The OP is no longer using Mojave. :oops:

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Coastal wrote:
"Mojave works different. There is no longer an App Store System Preference"

Yes, you're right.
But... I thought the OP said he had "moved back down" to High Sierra?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Coastal wrote:
"Mojave works different. There is no longer an App Store System Preference"

Yes, you're right.
But... I thought the OP said he had "moved back down" to High Sierra?
You are absolutely correct! :oops:
I reread the 1st post and I think they downgraded to Sierra. Regardless, they are not on Mojave anymore.
Oh well, enjoy the Mojave preference pictures everybody. :)

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Thanks for the replies. It appears that APPLE is forcing something on us. This is not unusual for Apple. One thing in the answers, which generally say I am Out Of Luck, is that Mojave is no longer on my computer. That is surprising. Usually when something new is offered the prompt asks you if you want to download it, and then to install. My prompt has an Install option. That would indicate to me that the upgrade resides somewhere on my computer just waiting for me to install it. If I am right, where is it?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
If I am right, where is it?
At least up to 10.13, the Mojave Installer will be in the Application folder.

In SysPrefs-App Store, make sure you have the settings you want. I believe that Apple may reset them with OS updates.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
AHA! In the App Folder there is an "Install macOS Mojave APP" It is 6.03Gb. Am I correct that I can safely trash that?

Also, in Sys Pref/Apps I deselected the option to download apps in the background. I assume I will still be notified if updates/upgrades are available, and simply download at that time. If all of this is correct, VOILA! I have the answer I needed.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"AHA! In the App Folder there is an "Install macOS Mojave APP" It is 6.03Gb. Am I correct that I can safely trash that?"

Yes, you can trash it.

If you ever decide to try Mojave again, you can re-download it. Better to re-download (in the future), because the newly-downloaded version will always be the latest available.

Reactions: GovtLawyer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.