Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
Everytime I want to update the iTunes library by syncing the iPhone, it back ups. I would want it to not back up anymore, as it takes way too much space.

How do I locate the backup so that I can delete it everytime I sync the iPhone?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Every time that you sync, iTunes will make a backup first in case something goes wrong or you change your mind. But there is only one backup saved at any time and that is the most current one, thus there is no space wasted. Any previous backup is overwritten.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
Every time that you sync, iTunes will make a backup first in case something goes wrong or you change your mind. But there is only one backup saved at any time and that is the most current one, thus there is no space wasted. Any previous backup is overwritten.

Wasn't there a time when backups were not overwritten and new ones were made for each sync? I remember reading something like that somewhere.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Wasn't there a time when backups were not overwritten and new ones were made for each sync? I remember reading something like that somewhere.

Yes. My 3Gs (2009) allowed for multiple backups which I always renamed to the date created. When iPhone 5 came along, the option had disappeared. (I don't recall whether or not my iPhone 4 still had that option.)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Yes. My 3Gs (2009) allowed for multiple backups which I always renamed to the date created. When iPhone 5 came along, the option had disappeared. (I don't recall whether or not my iPhone 4 still had that option.)

If no longer available, can always manual copy backup files to somewhere or via time machine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.