Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
If you’re using an iPhone and iPad, how do you separately voice command HomePod without triggering the device you have currently? I wish you can say “hey, HomePod”, but I’m sure there’s a way. Anyone know how?

Since Siri will choose to activate on the device that sees fit, it’ll likely go for the one with the device that is currently being used, yet I would like to control audio on HomePod or get information from HomePod rather than a device because it interrupts what you’re doing.

Reactions: macaronie

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Good question. I just tested it. While looking at my iPhone in my hand (but no apps open), I asked, "Hey Siri, play Mozart." It was my iPhone that answered, not my HomePod, and it offered me Shark Gordon.

Then I opened Safari on my iPhone and went to a news site. I asked. Hey Siri, play The Beatles." It was my HomePod that answered and played The Beatles.

So it could be not just wether or not you have the device in your hand, but also, what you are doing with it.

scotio200

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2015
I am finding that if I am on my phone, no matter what im doing as long as im in range of the home pod, the home pod always answers.

Sometimes I see Siri appear on my phones screen but it goes back to what im doing almost instantly and continues on the home pod.

If I raise my Apple Watch and say hey Siri then the watch answers which makes sense.

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
I am finding that if I am on my phone, no matter what im doing as long as im in range of the home pod, the home pod always answers.

Sometimes I see Siri appear on my phones screen but it goes back to what im doing almost instantly and continues on the home pod.

If I raise my Apple Watch and say hey Siri then the watch answers which makes sense.

I have had the same experience when talking on the phone, messaging, or listening to a podcast. e.g., talking to someone about a trip on the phone or by text..."Hey Siri, distance/time to XXX address?", HomePod will answer and provide a response. So it isn't mere proximity. Another example, talking on my phone using AirPods and walking upstairs, "Hey Siri, turn off the downstairs lights". Despite obvious proximity, the HomePod responds and turns off the lights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.