Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshBMR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2019
I've got a few screens laying around that i've got from dismantled macbook pros

How would i go around finding out what year of macbook pro they are from?

Cheers,
Josh

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Without connecting the screen to a MacBook, the only way I know of would be to compare the connectors (wifi, video, camera) to images on the internet since an assembled display (outer shell, LCD, frame) doesn't have a visible part number.

JoshBMR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2019
Without connecting the screen to a MacBook, the only way I know of would be to compare the connectors (wifi, video, camera) to images on the internet since an assembled display (outer shell, LCD, frame) doesn't have a visible part number.

I can connect them to a macbook pro, is there a way in the OS to see the screen part number, resolution etc?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I can connect them to a macbook pro, is there a way in the OS to see the screen part number, resolution etc?
I'm not sure if the lvds connector on an air will fit on a pro logic board and whether the contacts would line up correctly.

You can use terminal commands to find the model number. I think this is the command:

ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Look at the beginning of the second line to see which manufacturer made your display. If it starts with LP then you have an LG display. Samsung displays start with LSN

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.