Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
When I heard that the iTunes mp3 encoder was crap, I downloaded lame-3.92 and iTunes-LAME.1.0.2, but I have no idea on how to get the program to work. I read through the directions for installing LAME, and found out I need the Terminal for installing the app. I don’t want to use the program if I have to keep using the Terminal to change options, such as what rate to set mp3 bitrate, etc. I tried using the Terminal for installing, but I have no idea how to use it.

If it’s just the installation that requires using the Terminal, would someone tell me how to install the program? (The lame-3.92 folder is located right when I open the Macintosh HD.) If not, what non-Terminal program would offer the same encoding power as LAME?

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
In the iTunes-LAME Encoder folder (the folder that gets created after you unstuff iTunes-LAME.1.x.x.sit.bin), there's a file called Read Me.rtf. This file goes through the whole installation process step by step. If you use the LAME package at the URL listed in the Read Me file, I don't think you even need to touch the terminal at all, because it's a .pkg that installs everything automatically. To paraphrase the Read Me:
A LAME installer (3.92) can be downloaded from:
http://melba.vu.edu.au/~s3530650/

To have access to the script within iTunes, place this folder (or just the script) within your ~/Library/iTunes/Scripts/ folder (You may need to create this).

To use the script, simply put check marks next to tracks you want to encode in a file or CD playlist. URL tracks, if selected, will be skipped.

The script uses the iTunes track information, so be sure to either get the CDDB track info, or type it in yourself.

By default, the script will add the new MP3s to a "LAME Library" playlist.

The iTunes-LAME script will open up the terminal while it runs, but you don't need to type anything - you just close the terminal when it's finished.

Alex

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
I either got lost at this step:

>/Library/iTunes/Scripts/ folder (You may need to create this)

or this step:

>To use the script, simply put check marks next to tracks you want to encode in a file or CD playlist.

What does this [space]folder in "/Scripts/ folder" supposed to mean? I created the folder "Scripts", but what is the / folder part?

The directions listed only say that using the script requires checkmarks around the songs. When I checkmark a song, all that happens is the checkmark appears.

Also, do I need to put the iTunes-LAME folder inside the Scripts deal or the lame-3.92 folder inside it?

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by King Cobra
I either got lost at this step:

>/Library/iTunes/Scripts/ folder (You may need to create this)

or this step:

>To use the script, simply put check marks next to tracks you want to encode in a file or CD playlist.

What does this [space]folder in "/Scripts/ folder" supposed to mean? I created the folder "Scripts", but what is the / folder part?

They mean create the folder "/Library/iTunes/Scripts" and put the iTunes-LAME script in that.

I didn't do it that way, though - I put the script in /Users/myhomefolder/Library/iTunes/Scripts, for a single-user install. You can do it either way you like.
The directions listed only say that using the script requires checkmarks around the songs. When I checkmark a song, all that happens is the checkmark appears.

You just need to check all the songs on the CD that you want to encode into MP3, then go to the AppleScript menu (that little icon between Window and Help in the menu bar) and choose "Encode with LAME." The "Encode with LAME" option will only be there if you've got the script copied to your iTunes scripts folder, though.
Also, do I need to put the iTunes-LAME folder inside the Scripts deal or the lame-3.92 folder inside it?
No, just the file called "Encode with LAME (1.x.x).scpt".

Did you use the LAME package available at the URL in the iTunes-LAME Read Me file? My LAME package is on a disk image, not in a folder. "lame_3.92.dmg.gz" It doesn't matter which package your LAME came in as long as you got it installed okay, though.

Alex

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
>They mean create the folder "/Library/iTunes/Scripts" and put the iTunes-LAME script in that. I didn't do it that way, though - I put the script in /Users/myhomefolder/Library/iTunes/Scripts, for a single-user install. You can do it either way you like.

I did it the way the directions have provided it as.

>You just need to check all the songs on the CD that you want to encode into MP3, then go to the AppleScript menu (that little icon between Window and Help in the menu bar) and choose "Encode with LAME." The "Encode with LAME" option will only be there if you've got the script copied to your iTunes scripts folder, though.

When I do that I get with either a playlist or a CD I get an error. "LAME was not found. You may need to change the path in the script (The lameBasde property) or install LAME.
Are you sure you want to continue?"

When I want to continue I get another error: "zsh: command not found: lame".

I have the script "Encode with LAME (1.0.3).scpt" file inside the location provided.

>No, just the file called "Encode with LAME (1.x.x).scpt".

>Did you use the LAME package available at the URL in the iTunes-LAME Read Me file? My LAME package is on a disk image, not in a folder. "lame_3.92.dmg.gz" It doesn't matter which package your LAME came in as long as you got it installed okay, though.

I have that package: lame-3.92.tar.gz What do you mean by this installation? The Read ME says I either have to use the Developer tools to install LAME or that I need to use the terminal with the commands: ./configure, make, sudo make install. Do I need to do that with the install or is there another way to get around this?

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by King Cobra
When I do that I get with either a playlist or a CD I get an error. "LAME was not found. You may need to change the path in the script (The lameBasde property) or install LAME.
Are you sure you want to continue?"

When I want to continue I get another error: "zsh: command not found: lame".

Okay, the problem is that you haven't got LAME installed. Getting LAME encoding working in iTunes is a two-part process: Installing the LAME program and installing the iTunes script that controls the LAME program. You've got #2 done, now you need to do #1...
I have that package: lame-3.92.tar.gz What do you mean by this installation? The Read ME says I either have to use the Developer tools to install LAME or that I need to use the terminal with the commands: ./configure, make, sudo make install. Do I need to do that with the install or is there another way to get around this?
What you should do if you want to do it the easy way is delete that file (lame-3.92.tar.gz) and download this one instead: http://melba.vu.edu.au/~s3530650/download/macos10/lame_3.92.dmg.gz

Ignore everything you read in that lame-3.92.tar.gz file; that's the LAME source code.

Alex

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
This will take a while to download. [Dial-up has to work hard again. :( :rolleyes:]

I'll edit this post...already edited...

I think it works now. The Terminal windows pop up and it is showing progress.

What happened was when I first went to VT to download the iTunes-LAME encoder I also saw a little link for LAME, which, according to what I remember seeing, was necessary to use the LAME encoder. But I didn't need it.

I appreciate the help, alex. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.