Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I read up on this awhile ago but am not sure if anything has changed with the current iOS or the upcoming release.

It's my understanding that if you block someone's number now, they will still ring through and can still leave you a message, but you won't hear the call come in and you won't know they left you a message. Does that still hold true?

What I need is for the caller to know they are being blocked and for them to be stopped from leaving a message in the first place. I just need my number not to work for them anymore. How is that accomplished via iOS. Is that even possible? I'm on AT&T if that makes any difference.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
When you block a number your phone your phone will not ring. From what I understand after one ring (you will not hear) it sends them to voice mail. I assume they can leave a message.
Yeah that's what I was worried about. I am already getting their messages and ignoring them. Unfriended on FB. Still getting contacted. It is a complicated situation I can't explain too much here because we have mutual friends who likely read this forum. I think I'll just call AT&T and pay for number blocking. They are also calling my husband's phone and that is completely unacceptable as it's his work phone.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah that's what I was worried about. I am already getting their messages and ignoring them. Unfriended on FB. Still getting contacted. It is a complicated situation I can't explain too much here because we have mutual friends who likely read this forum. I think I'll just call AT&T and pay for number blocking. They are also calling my husband's phone and that is completely unacceptable as it's his work phone.

Sorry, things like this can be bad.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not sure if a message saying they are blocked would change much when it comes to someone like that. Seems like they just need to be blocked in more places (like other phones that they might be calling).

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
From what I understand, once you block a number, they should not be able to send you texts or call you. Whether or not when they call they can still leave you a voicemail is something I'm not completely sure about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Applejuiced

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
From my reading the calls work as Newtons Apple said. The phone will ring once, I won't hear it, and the caller will go to voice mail. With texts, I read that I will not see or be aware a text was sent, but the sender unfortunately will not know that. It will look like their texts are going through and I'm just ignoring them.

What I need is for a way for the other party to know without a doubt I'm through with them without me being forced to send a text saying as politely as possible that I think they and their family and mine are just mutually toxic to each other and should part. If it gets to that point I will, but I'd rather just let technology do it.

Thanks to all who have tried to help.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
From my reading the calls work as Newtons Apple said. The phone will ring once, I won't hear it, and the caller will go to voice mail. With texts, I read that I will not see or be aware a text was sent, but the sender unfortunately will not know that. It will look like their texts are going through and I'm just ignoring them.

What I need is for a way for the other party to know without a doubt I'm through with them without me being forced to send a text saying as politely as possible that I think they and their family and mine are just mutually toxic to each other and should part. If it gets to that point I will, but I'd rather just let technology do it. The person involved knows and is aware there is a rift. She's giving her phone to her child to call us. That's the problem. And I won't elaborate on why or anything else. This would turn the forum into an episode of Real Housewives of BatpoopCrazyville. o_O

Thanks to all who have tried to help.
While I understand what you are saying, an automated text replying to them saying they are blocked isn't much different than you sending a message like that once to them. Going a little further, if you are blocking them, meaning you want nothing to do with them, then generally it likely shouldn't matter whether or not they know they are blocked or think that you are ignoring them--as long as you have nothing to do with them then what you want it accomplished (no matter what they know or think).

That said, I agree that it would likely be better if there was an option as to how these things were treated--if you wanted more of a passive type of block (as it is now), or more of an active type of block that basically communicates to the person each and every time that they are blocked.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
It's just best if they get an impersonal "the call can not be completed" or something to that effect.

In trying to find a solution to my problem I see many people need a solution like I'm searching for. My husband is going to set up the AT&T block.

Last edited:
Reactions: old-wiz

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
From what I understand, once you block a number, they should not be able to send you texts or call you. Whether or not when they call they can still leave you a voicemail is something I'm completely sure about.

They can leave you a message but you will not get a notification for it and won't be able to listen it.
Its like they're knocking on a deaf persons door. :D
The phone will not even ring, texts or imessages wont come in and their voicemails will be deleted.

Reactions: nburwell
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.