Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cduron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2009
I have a mid 2010 MBP. How easy is it to take out the optical drive and throw in a SSD. Im looking for advice from people who have done this already. What SSD did you install as well.

thanks

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I would install a Samsung 830 as a first choice at least 128GB in size, or more. Other SSDs depending on price.

It is very easy. All you need to be able to is loose some screws, plug it in, fix everything back in place. Run Carbon Copy Cloner and copy the system drive.

Depending on how much data you have and how you want to have it setup there may be some stuff a little bit more complicated but there are like a thousand threads in this forum already that cover every aspect.
Just search. Some explain very detailed what should do.

I got a Sata 2 SSD in the optibay of a 2010 MBP with a 1 TB HDD in the main bay.

Just don't pay for those obscenely expensive MCE optibays. The ones on ebay cost a fraction and are just as good. There is no special magic to those things.

riptideMBP

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2011
Its relatively straightforward... just make an effort not to strip the screws that hold down the optical drive.

I don't know why people keep suggesting he try and get this screw out... mine was put in by Chinese He-Man and adamentium blue threadlock

The goal is to remove the optical drive, not the screw and that can be accomplished quite easily by just turning the bracket...

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 41

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I have a mid 2010 MBP. How easy is it to take out the optical drive and throw in a SSD. Im looking for advice from people who have done this already. What SSD did you install as well.

thanks

Pretty easy. I would HIGHLY recommend going with the OWC data doubler and an OWC SSD. A lot of people will tell you you can get cheaper SSD mounts, but that is just what they are. CHEAPER products that have cheap construction. It really doesn't matter since vibration doesn't hurt SSDs, but I started out with a cheaper no name ebay mount and found a nice deal for a data doubler...really wish I went with the data doubler to begin with. That thing is sturdy.

OWC drives are solid, carry a generous warranty from a trusted company who is vested in customer satisfaction. They are nice and speedy as well. Might as well get the set from OWC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.