Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I currently have my M1 MBP with 8GB memory hooked up to a dock driving 2 external displays (using displaylink manager) as well as the laptop screen. I typically do office work, so multiple docs open in Word, powerpoint, etc, Outlook and Mail, 5-10 tabs open at any time (including sharehopoint), Remote Desktop app, Teams and Zoom. Occasional Photos and FCP (although if doing this for any length of time, would typically close out all the other apps).

Although my computer has never felt slow or beach balled, the activity manager tends to show yellow instead of green memory pressure. Does this mean I should be using 16GB minimum? Or should I move to 32GB?

Attached is a screenshot of activity monitor, what would you do?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 7.00.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 7.00.58 PM.png
    272.8 KB · Views: 158

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Based on the above, i’d say 16GB RAM would be balance.

Also, I have noticed that if i use MS office via the web, i do see less RAM usage Vs the app. Not a huge difference, but a happy medium if you want to work on other projects.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
For what you do 16GB is suffice. If you plan on upgrading to the new Pros, and plan on keeping them for more than 3 years then I would recommend 32GB.
Any reason for the 32??

OP please dont listen to the future proofing users, 16gb is more than plenty for you. Remember more memory will be used no matter what you choose, 16gb might use more memory for the same tasks as the 8gb since it can.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Any reason for the 32??

OP please dont listen to the future proofing users, 16gb is more than plenty for you. Remember more memory will be used no matter what you choose, 16gb might use more memory for the same tasks as the 8gb since it can.
Yes this is the struggle! It just seems weird that with seemingly "light usage" Im in the orange zone. Is being in the orange zone bad? Or is it fin as long as Im not hitting the red zone?

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Yes this is the struggle! It just seems weird that with seemingly "light usage" Im in the orange zone. Is being in the orange zone bad? Or is it fin as long as Im not hitting the red zone?
I definitely think you could use the 16gb, right now with 2 different browsers open, some apps and quite a bit of tabs, my 2018 15" is using 11gb of memory. I would say 16gb is good for you.

If it isnt feeling slow, dont worry about it. However, if your Mac tells you to close some applications due to low memory (used to happen to me on 8gb of ram), then be cautious.

Reactions: smirking

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
OP is literally here because they didn't 'future proof' their computer.
32gb is way overkill, dont need to throw around "if you plan on keeping it long, get more". That is misleading, if uses might change yes but I have been fine with 16gb for years and I run intense programs at times (for analysis and simulations) and keep multiple browsers open. 8gb is not alot for what OP is using just from their description.

Also OP, close out any applications that aren't being used and/or tabs. Some like to stay and hog in the background.

Reactions: rMBP2013

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
OP is literally here because they didn't 'future proof' their computer.

Not necessarily, Im asking the question. Like I said, I have not experienced any actual slowdowns, not "out of memory" warnings, etc. So I guess the real question is if yellow memory is anything to be concerned about if I never see any performance issues?

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
32gb is way overkill, dont need to throw around "if you plan on keeping it long, get more". That is misleading, if uses might change yes but I have been fine with 16gb for years and I run intense programs at times (for analysis and simulations) and keep multiple browsers open. 8gb is not alot for what OP is using just from their description.
It's not misleading. As FCPX projects, websites and apps get bigger, memory requirements grow. Again, it depends on if OP plans on keeping their computer for more than 3 years. I replace my computers every 5 years, so I don't skimp on memory or storage.

Reactions: Acronyc and SpotOnT

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Not necessarily, Im asking the question. Like I said, I have not experienced any actual slowdowns, not "out of memory" warnings, etc. So I guess the real question is if yellow memory is anything to be concerned about if I never see any performance issues?

This should answer the question without any argument from any user.

Reactions: NewUsername

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
It's not misleading. As FCPX projects, websites and apps get bigger, memory requirements grow. Again, it depends on if OP plans on keeping their computer for more than 3 years. I replace my computers every 5 years, so I don't skimp on memory or storage.
Let us get back on topic, "future-proofing" is misleading and is just used to get more $$$ to be spent.

Reactions: Abstract

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
Its an echo chamber in here with the future proofing suggestions. Honestly I think it’s kind of dumb to buy more than I need just because I might need it in 5 years. If I need more in 5 years I’ll buy a faster computer.

Just to prove you all wrong (jk I just want to save my money) I’m going to buy a base 14” and produce music and edit 4K video on it

Scott2018Z06

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2019
Typically I would say 16GB would be perfect for your workload. The only downside here is that you cant simply just add more memory. In my specific case, I'd rather have more than not enough. The argument of what one needs vs what one has goes pretty deep. Most of us don't need 80% of the things we have however we want them.

At the end of the day get what you want/can afford.

Last edited:

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Please ignore any "future proofing" advise. Buy the specs that you need today and save yourself the money. Enjoy the new tech!

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
Honestly I think it’s kind of dumb to buy more than I need just because I might need it in 5 years. If I need more in 5 years I’ll buy a faster computer.
Why is it dumb? I'd rather pay a few hundred extra up front for more memory than realizing less than a year later like OP that I didn't buy enough memory and now I'm wasting more money and time setting up a new computer with the RAM I should've bought in the first place. But to each their own.

At the end of the day get what you want/can afford.
Agreed.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I suggest order a 16GB base MBP from Apple and try it out for 14 days. There is a very good chance there will no discernible difference in speed for your workflow, in which case you can return it and save $2000.
If you hadn't looked at the activity monitor, would you have even been aware that your M1 MBP was not fast enough to meet your needs?

Upgrading every year is just not very cost effective (your M1 MBP is presumably less than a year old).

I am replacing a 2015 MBP, and have ordered the base MBP to try out. I like to work up from the bottom config. If it doesn't meet my needs I will return it and get the next config up, and repeat if necessary. I'm tired of donating extra cash to Apple for unnecessary options due to FUD.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBigApple2006

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
Why is it dumb? I'd rather pay a few hundred extra up front for more memory than realizing less than a year later like OP that I didn't buy enough memory and now I'm wasting more money and time setting up a new computer with the RAM I should've bought in the first place. But to each their own.

Agreed.

There’s a difference between less than a year from now, and 3-5 years from now

If I’m going to need more ram in 6 months that’s something I can figure out within my 14 day trial period

If I need more ram in 4 years, there are going to be new computers out that will completely smoke it anyway. Might as well sell it and buy a new one, since I’ll get the best return on my base model compared to an upgraded model

Last edited:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I’m with the people who don’t think you should get 32GB. When it comes to computers in 2021, “futureproofing” is money poorly spent by most people.

(Note: You are most people. ?)

About RAM: OS X will try to use more RAM if it’s available. That doesn’t mean the system is struggling.

Unless you’re going to quadruple the number of Word .docs and spreadsheets you open, and you start keeping 50-60 Safari tabs at a time, or you make a career change and start editing 8K video full time, 16GB is plenty! Actually, 8GB is also OK, as you already know.

Computers, computing, and software-driven demand is fairly predictable at this point. No need to “future-proof” if you already have an established career and don’t see things changing for the next 5-10 years.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007

This should answer the question without any argument from any user.

According to this support article, I need more RAM! When I first got my M1 around this time last year, use case was the same and I was generally green. I then switched to a work laptop because they cut off onedrive access, but over the last few days started using it again using webbed Sharepoint instead because my work laptop's constant fan was killing me. Not sure why Im all of a sudden getting orange with the same usage.

Have ordered the 16" arriving on Tuesday with the base 16gb RAM, so if I stay green, but to reiterate, even in orange, I have not noticed any performance slowdown whatsoever.

On the question of how long I will keep it, Im not sure. I could easily see myself keeping it 3-5 years. but the way tech is moving, there might be some much better features down the road that compels an upgrade.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I’m with the people who don’t think you should get 32GB. When it comes to computers in 2021, “futureproofing” is money poorly spent by most people.

(Note: You are most people. ?)

About RAM: OS X will try to use more RAM if it’s available. That doesn’t mean the system is struggling.

Unless you’re going to quadruple the number of Word .docs and spreadsheets you open, and you start keeping 50-60 Safari tabs at a time, or you make a career change and start editing 8K video full time, 16GB is plenty! Actually, 8GB is also OK, as you already know.

Computers, computing, and software-driven demand is fairly predictable at this point. No need to “future-proof” if you already have an established career and don’t see things changing for the next 5-10 years.
Think this is reasonable logic; but as another poster said, websites, video formats, etc get bigger and bigger. right now the macrumors website is showing 345mb memory usage and I have an adblocker on....why is this text based forum site using so much ram???

Larabee119

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
I’m doing a lot of excel worksheet and each contains up to one million rows with macros and some complicated functions. Then some chrome tabs with outlook and music open. My M1 16GB is just enough for those.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
32gb since it’s unified. Also remember you cannot just stick another stick of ram if and when you need it.

Yes you can get by with 8gb. 32 is better than 16 and 16 is better than 8.

How much better do you want ?

Reactions: drygioni
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.