Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannywong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
This is pretty much the only thing holding me back from buying one right now..

Has anyone here owned a Vaio Z or SR? or something with a simular screen?

I used to own an SR and the screen was so flimsy that it would get dented on the back very easily, and that led to visible dents on the actual screen side.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
My 1-year-old walks on my MBA when closed, and I've had an MBA for about 4 years now (two different ones) without getting any dents on it.

I suppose I could dent it if I really tried, but short of dropping metal objects from 3 or more feet, I'm not sure how.

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
The screen has a pleasant sturdiness and rigidity to it, but like any ultraportable, of course it will crack/break if you put too much pressure on it. When it's closed, there isn't much risk unless you're piling 50lbs of books on top. When it's open...I can't think of anything that would be a problem, other than dropping it.

Last edited:

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
I'd actually say the screen has a surprising sturdiness. I was actually taken slightly aback by it the first time I 2-finger lifted the MBA open. Unless you're gonna abuse the hell out of it, the MBA is actually a solid piece of machinery.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I've got the 11" and the screen seems very sturdy. No real flex unless you try to bend it (and why, for the love of all that is holy, would anybody do that?)

Very solid feeling all the way around.

dannywong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
update: went to go check one out at best buy.. and wow it amazed me definitely more sturdy than the thin plastic Sony Vaio screens. what was even more surprising.. the Asus Zenbooks are even more rigid than the Air.

but what can i say I'm a Mac! just got myself a base 13'' Air, and won the luck of the draw with the better SSD. I think I'm in love.

still going to get a case regardless..

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
update: went to go check one out at best buy.. and wow it amazed me definitely more sturdy than the thin plastic Sony Vaio screens. what was even more surprising.. the Asus Zenbooks are even more rigid than the Air.

but what can i say I'm a Mac! just got myself a base 13'' Air, and won the luck of the draw with the better SSD. I think I'm in love.

still going to get a case regardless..

Congrats on your purchase. A case is always a good buy :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.