Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There are several reasons why you should consider using a passcode on your Apple Watch. Without one, you won't be able to use Apple Pay to make contactless transactions using the device, nor will you be able to use it to automatically unlock your Mac.

But apart from losing out on functionality, not using a passcode on your watch means that anyone who got hold of it could potentially gain access to your Health and other app data, and possibly more besides.

how-to-add-an-apple-watch-passcode-800x532.jpeg

Using a passcode on your Apple Watch isn't like having one on your iPhone or iPad, because you don't have to enter it every time you use your watch. You'll only be prompted for it if you remove your Apple Watch from your wrist or if the watch is restarted. Also unlike iOS devices, if you ever forget your Apple Watch passcode, there are steps you can take to regain access.

With those benefits in mind, here's how to set up your Apple Watch passcode.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Add a Passcode to Your Apple Watch and What to Do if You Forget it

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
If you turn off the simple passcode you can use up to 10-digit passcode. Sort of redundant to have a setting to choose between using either 4-digit or 4- to 10-digit passcode.

MacknTosh

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2015
I didn't realise I had 'unlock with iPhone' set to on, and every morning I would enter my passcode to unlock my watch, and then pick up my phone that was right beside it. Given that I have an iPhone X, all this time I could have been unlocking my watch with a quick glance at my phone. Today has been a learning day!

Reactions: Telos101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.