Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Continuing our recent how-to focus on customizing the macOS Dock, in this article we're going to share with you a method for adding a recent or favorite items stack to the right of the Dock divider.

macos-dock-recent-apps-stack-800x450.jpg

Most users are aware that you can drag any folder into the right-hand side of the Dock to turn it into a stack, but the following lesser-known trick creates a unique stack type containing your most recently opened applications, documents, or servers.

Alternatively, you can also set this unique type of stack to show the Favorite folder locations and Device links that appear in your Finder's sidebar.

favorite-finder-locations-dock-stack-800x585.jpg

Unfortunately, you can't use stacks if you have the Dock set up to show only actively running apps. With that caveat in mind, simply follow the steps below to create the stack type that best suits your workflow. Just bear in mind that Terminal is a powerful app, so make sure you enter the commands properly, especially if you're not familiar with it.

How to Create a Recent or Favorite Items Stack

1. Launch the Terminal app found in Applications/Utilities. (To quickly open the Utilities folder in Finder, select Go -> Utilities from the menu bar, or use the key shortcut Shift-Command-U.)
    Copy the following command text and paste it into Terminal at the prompt, then press Enter: defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{"tile-data" = {"list-type" = 1;}; "tile-type" = "recents-tile";}'; killall Dock
    recent-apps-stack-dock-terminal-command-800x121.jpg

Repeat the command (hit the up arrow and press Enter) to create additional recent or favorite stacks in the Dock as required.
    To choose whether a new stack contains certain types of favorite items or recent items, right-click (or Ctrl-click) the stack and select one of the options in the pop-up menu.
    select-recent-or-favorite-item-dock-stack-800x522.jpg

To change the default Grid view, right-click (or Ctrl-click) the stack and select one of the other options under View content as in the pop-up menu.
Note that you can change the number of items shown in a recent items stack in the following way: Click the Apple (?) logo in the menu bar, select System Preferences..., open the General preference pane, and choose another number from the Recent items dropdown menu.

recent-items-shown-system-preference-800x732.jpg

To remove a Recent or Favorite Items stack from your Dock, simply right-click (or Ctrl-click) it and select Remove from Dock. Alternatively, click and drag the stack out of the Dock then let go of the mouse button to delete it.

Article Link: How to Add a Recent or Favorite Items Stack to Your Mac's Dock

Reactions: east85

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Changed to Favorite items and the dock icon is horrible. Also, it expands to black and white for some reason.
Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 10.12.29.png

jimw

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2003

Continuing our recent how-to focus on customizing the macOS Dock, in this article we're going to share with you a method for adding a recent or favorite items stack to the right of the Dock divider.

macos-dock-recent-apps-stack-800x450.jpg

Most users are aware that you can drag any folder into the right-hand side of the Dock to turn it into a stack, but the following lesser-known trick creates a unique stack type containing your most recently opened applications, documents, or servers.

Alternatively, you can also set this unique type of stack to show the Favorite folder locations and Device links that appear in your Finder's sidebar.

favorite-finder-locations-dock-stack-800x585.jpg

Unfortunately, you can't use stacks if you have the Dock set up to show only actively running apps. With that caveat in mind, simply follow the steps below to create the stack type that best suits your workflow. Just bear in mind that Terminal is a powerful app, so make sure you enter the commands properly, especially if you're not familiar with it.

How to Create a Recent or Favorite Items Stack

1. Launch the Terminal app found in Applications/Utilities. (To quickly open the Utilities folder in Finder, select Go -> Utilities from the menu bar, or use the key shortcut Shift-Command-U.)
    Copy the following command text and paste it into Terminal at the prompt, then press Enter: defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{"tile-data" = {"list-type" = 1;}; "tile-type" = "recents-tile";}'; killall Dock
    recent-apps-stack-dock-terminal-command-800x121.jpg

Repeat the command (hit the up arrow and press Enter) to create additional recent or favorite stacks in the Dock as required.
    To choose whether a new stack contains certain types of favorite items or recent items, right-click (or Ctrl-click) the stack and select one of the options in the pop-up menu.
    select-recent-or-favorite-item-dock-stack-800x522.jpg

To change the default Grid view, right-click (or Ctrl-click) the stack and select one of the other options under View content as in the pop-up menu.
Note that you can change the number of items shown in a recent items stack in the following way: Click the Apple (?) logo in the menu bar, select System Preferences..., open the General preference pane, and choose another number from the Recent items dropdown menu.

recent-items-shown-system-preference-800x732.jpg

To remove a Recent or Favorite Items stack from your Dock, simply right-click (or Ctrl-click) it and select Remove from Dock. Alternatively, click and drag the stack out of the Dock then let go of the mouse button to delete it.

Article Link: How to Add a Recent or Favorite Items Stack to Your Mac's Dock
[doublepost=1522662568][/doublepost]Alternately, especially if your not a geek, you can download the 'Onyx', a free app from such sites as MacUpdate and just click a box that is listed under the 'Parameters' heading and the sub-heading 'Dock. It also allows you to put the folder on the left side. I also believe 'Tinker Tool' which is a free subset APP of 'Onyx' and just contains the 'Parameters' tool.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
[doublepost=1522662568][/doublepost]Alternately, especially if your not a geek, you can download the 'Onyx', a free app from such sites as MacUpdate and just click a box that is listed under the 'Parameters' heading and the sub-heading 'Dock. It also allows you to put the folder on the left side. I also believe 'Tinker Tool' which is a free subset APP of 'Onyx' and just contains the 'Parameters' tool.

Best to use as few apps as possible.

Thanks for the tip, Macrumors. I find that choosing 'recent servers' shows duplicates. I wonder if there's a way to prevent that.

Last edited:
Reactions: longpath

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Can you create a separate area on your page where you have a collection of all these “tips and tricks” posts?

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Is it possible to place a folder with applications (and subfolders, if required) on the left side of the Dock?

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
You can also just create a Smart Folder with a custom search, then drag that to the dock.

abelara@gmail.c

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
I upgraded my iMac to macOS 10.15 Catalina, and my recently used apps Stacks on the Dock was removed. Failed to add it back using the terminal command.

Same with my MBP. Sadly.

Anyone have a work around? Over the years I've really become used to having a stack with my recent docs. Would love a way to get it back.

Reactions: nigameash

Dan Merget

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2019
Me too - one of those features that I didn't realise I would miss until it no longer worked...
Try the instructions at https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/how-to-add-a-recent-items-folder-to-your-macs-dock. I just created a "Recent Apps" stack on my Catalina dock by setting "Kind = Application" and "Last Opened Date = within last 30 days", and the result looks pretty similar to what I used to get with the "defaults write com.apple.dock..." terminal command before Catalina. I imagine that setting "Kind = Document" would get you a comparable "Recent Docs" stack.

pward

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
Try the instructions at https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/how-to-add-a-recent-items-folder-to-your-macs-dock. I just created a "Recent Apps" stack on my Catalina dock by setting "Kind = Application" and "Last Opened Date = within last 30 days", and the result looks pretty similar to what I used to get with the "defaults write com.apple.dock..." terminal command before Catalina. I imagine that setting "Kind = Document" would get you a comparable "Recent Docs" stack.

Many thanks for this - the Smart Folder solution with "Kind = Application" does indeed produce a similar result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.