Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
I installed the Yosemite beta on my Mac Pro (late 2013). It doesn't have a built in iSight camera, so I use a Logitech webcam as my mic. When making voice calls (or using FaceTime audio for that matter) the recipient of the call hears an echo. I don't hear it, but I believe their own voice is being played through the speaker, and transmitted back to them. This doesn't happen with internal iSight cameras as often, but apparently happens with external webcams all the time.

Is there any known solution? Since the Mac Pro doesn't have an internal iSight, it would have to be a solution to prevent the problem of audio being played back from speakers and picked up by the mic. Otherwise, voice calling and FaceTime audio are almost useless for Macs without internal iSight cameras.

I'd be willing to but a new mic if it would eliminate echo. Any ideas?

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
I installed the Yosemite beta on my Mac Pro (late 2013). It doesn't have a built in iSight camera, so I use a Logitech webcam as my mic. When making voice calls (or using FaceTime audio for that matter) the recipient of the call hears an echo. I don't hear it, but I believe their own voice is being played through the speaker, and transmitted back to them. This doesn't happen with internal iSight cameras as often, but apparently happens with external webcams all the time.

Is there any known solution? Since the Mac Pro doesn't have an internal iSight, it would have to be a solution to prevent the problem of audio being played back from speakers and picked up by the mic. Otherwise, voice calling and FaceTime audio are almost useless for Macs without internal iSight cameras.

Have you submitted a bug report to apple? A software fix is needed.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007

Now that Yosemite is not in beta any longer, I wanted to revive this discussion to see if anyone else is experiencing this issue, or has any suggestions?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Now that Yosemite is not in beta any longer, I wanted to revive this discussion to see if anyone else is experiencing this issue, or has any suggestions?

Yep you have a classic problem. Your speakers are being pickup by your Mac mic. You either have to turn then off or wear headphones when calling from the Mac.

Rossthephotographer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
UK

I have this issue too, but my situation is slightly different. I want to record facetime calls with my family, but there is no option for recording (with audio both ends). I am using a screen recorder that allows me to record audio from the caller and also my voice (via usb webcam with built in mic). Trouble is, the mic also picks up the sound from my speakers and replays the caller's voice as an echo. Headphones fix this, but then their audio is not recorded my end, so I only get a one sided conversation.

I thought maybe a lav mic or a mic that is required to be close to my mouth might solve this, but I don't want to spend a load of money on a new mic if this isn't going to definitely work.

Also, I have a Rode mic with a 3.5mm jack, but that doesn't seem to work with my Mac Pro 2010 tower. I also have an adaptor so there are four sections rather than three on the mic input jack, but even with that it doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.