Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Watch is the most popular smartwatch on the market, yet battery life has never been its strong suit. That said, Apple has made improvements in this area with successive models, and while the company still only promises all-day battery life on a single charge, many Series 3 and 4 owners find they can get a lot more.

Of course, how long a given Apple Watch lasts between charges depends almost entirely on how it's used. With that in mind, this article aims to help wearers optimize their usage and get the best battery life they can reasonably expect based on their individual needs. Read on for some of our favorite power-saving tips for Apple Watch.

Apple Watch Display Settings

Always on Display (Series 5)

The latest Apple Watch Series 5 models come equipped with a new always on display feature. With the always on display function enabled, some element of the screen is always lit, even when the wrist is down. It's a handy way to keep an eye on the time or to keep track of a workout without needing to raise a wrist, but there are various reports from users that it can be a significant battery drain, at least on watches running early versions of watchOS 6.

apple-watch-series-5-studio.jpg

On the Apple Watch Series 5, battery life can be improved by disabling the always on feature. To do so, launch the Watch app on iPhone, tap the Watch tab, then tap Display & Brightness and turn off the switch next to Always On.

Wake Screen on Wrist Raise

It shouldn't come as a surprise that the Apple Watch's OLED display draws a significant amount of power. If it tends to light up when you least expect it, and you'd rather manually activate it with a button press or by tapping the display, then try turning off the automatic wake screen feature. To do so, open Settings on your Apple Watch, tap General -> Wake Screen, and toggle off Wake Screen on Wrist Raise. (You can also find this setting in the Watch app on your iPhone.)

Screen-Shot-1-1-250x398.jpg

Theater Mode

To some users, turning off the automatic wake screen feature might seem like overkill. Perhaps you only accidentally wake the screen during certain times of the day - when you're in bed, for instance.

In that case, you're better off making selective use of the Theater Mode. To enable it, swipe up from the bottom of any clock face to reveal the Control Center, and tap the symbol showing two theater masks. Note that Theater Mode also silences notifications, which is why it's best kept for bedtime or trips to the movies.

Adjust Brightness

Many Apple Watch owners find that they can easily get along with the OLED display set at its lowest and least energy-sapping brightness level. To adjust the brightness, select Settings on your Apple Watch, tap Brightness & Text Size, and alter the level to suit. (You can also find this setting in the Watch app on your iPhone.)

OLED panels don't expend energy on displaying true black colors - those pixels simply remain unlit. In other words, the more screen space your chosen clock face takes up (if it displays a photo, say) the more likely it is to drain battery whenever it's activated. For this reason, you might want to consider using a more minimalist watch face and disabling any complications you don't need to see every time you raise your wrist.

IMG_0331-2-800x600.jpg

Apple Watch Apps

Apps and Complications

Another good reason to minimize your use of complications is that many of them require frequent refreshing in order to display up-to-date information, which uses additional power. So if you rarely tap it, then turn it off using the clock face customize mode, which is activated with a single long press on the clock face screen.

The same goes for third-party apps, many of which frequently refresh in the background whether you use them or not. If you find yourself regularly reaching for your iPhone to check social media, then ask yourself, do you really need that Twitter function on your wrist? Only install apps on your Apple Watch that benefit you by being there.

It's worth extending this general policy to clock faces, too. There's anecdotal evidence that uninstalling the ones you don't use can save power by reducing background refreshes. To remove watch faces, open the Watch app on your iPhone, tap Edit next to My Faces, and tap the minus buttons in the list. The Siri watch face in particular is often cited as a battery drainer, so if you don't use it, ditch it.

Installation Creep and Refresh Management
Screen-Shot-4-250x454.jpg

These days many third-party iOS apps include an Apple Watch component which gets added automatically upon installation. To prevent this default behavior, open the Watch app on your iPhone, select General and toggle off Automatic App Install.

Another way of restricting the number of apps that draw power is to selectively control which ones refresh in the background. You can manage this on an individual basis from the Watch app on your iPhone: Select General -> Background App Refresh, and toggle the sliders for each installed app. Remember, only leave this enabled for apps with a functional dependency on up-to-date data, such as weather and calendar apps.

Notifications

Notifications come down to personal preference, but every additional alert on your wrist sucks a bit more power from your watch's battery. Look at your usage and try to assess which notifications are worthwhile, and which ones could just as easily be picked up on your iPhone at a later time.

To manage notifications on an app-by-app basis, open the iOS Watch app and select Notifications. Pay particular attention to third-party apps, listed in the second column, and turn off any pointless permissions that mirror your iPhone alerts.

With judicious use of these settings, you should be able to recognize if or when your needs change over time. For example, some app notifications have a shelf life - if they start to bug you, turn them off. That includes Activity and Breathe reminders. Be ruthless.

When it comes to email alerts, you may find they're only worth the bother if the emails come from specific addresses. So add these to your VIP list in the Mail app, and then disable all watch Mail notifications except for VIP alerts.

IMG_0342-800x529.jpg

Other Power-Saving Settings

Heart Rate

If you're only interested in tracking distance or speed (or both) during running or walking workouts, Apple recommends turning on Power Saving Mode to disable the heart rate sensor. To do this, open the Watch app on your iPhone, go to My Watch -> Workout, and toggle on Power Saving Mode. (The same setting can be found on your Apple Watch in Settings -> General -> Workout.) Note that when the heart rate sensor is off, calorie burn calculations may not be as accurate.

If you're training for a marathon or regularly participate in long-duration workouts, consider using a Bluetooth chest strap instead of the built-in heart rate sensor. To connect the Bluetooth chest strap to your watch, make sure it's in pairing mode, then open Settings on your Apple Watch, select Bluetooth, and choose from the list of Health Devices.

Hey Siri
Screen-Shot-5-250x417.jpg

Like on your iPhone, the "Hey Siri" feature on your Apple Watch allows you to use voice search and control other features without touching the device. Your watch's mic only listens for the magic phrase when the display is activated, but it does use a bit more power. So if you simply don't use the function, turn it off. To do so, open Settings on your Apple Watch, select General -> Siri, and toggle it off.

Remember, you can still activate Siri anytime by long-pressing your watch's Crown. Using the same Settings menu above, you can also make Siri respect Silent Mode when it's on, as well as limit spoken responses so you only hear them when headphones are connected.

Silent Mode and Do Not Disturb

Theater Mode, mentioned earlier, offers a middle ground between two additional settings: Silent Mode and Do Not Disturb. Silent Mode mutes audible alerts and can be turned on permanently if you're happy to rely on haptic vibrations for alerts, calls, alarms, and timers.

With Do Not Disturb enabled, your watch activates the same mode on your iPhone, silencing audible and vibration-based alerts across both devices unless they come from people in your Favorites contact list. Some Apple Watch users turn on both Theater Mode and Do Not Disturb when wearing their devices to bed, particularly if they track their sleep using a third-party app like AutoSleep.

To turn on Silent Mode on your Apple Watch, swipe up from any clock face to reveal the Control Center, and then tap the button with a bell symbol, so that the button turns red and the bell is crossed out. To activate Do Not Disturb from the Control Center, tap the button with a crescent moon so that it turns purple.

Haptics and Noise

Haptics refers to the subtle physical feedback sensations you get in response to touching the screen or rotating the Crown of your Apple Watch. You can adjust haptic strength on your watch by going to Settings -> Sounds & Haptics. Many users find the lowest haptic setting, which draws the least power, to be perfectly adequate, with or without the Prominent Haptic option turned on.

You can disable Crown haptic effects in the same Sound & Haptics menu, via the Crown Haptic switch. You should also make sure that the Taptic Time feature is disabled - in the Watch tab, tap Clock, then tap Taptic Time and toggle the switch next to the setting.

noise-app.jpg

With watchOS 6, Apple introduced a Noise app that uses the Apple Watch microphone to monitor environmental noise. When enabled, users receive a notification if the decibel level is loud enough to damage your hearing.

Whether or not you use the Noise app as a watch face complication, it continuously samples noise levels to give you real-time feedback, and some users have reported noticeable battery drain with the feature enabled. Fortunately, you can disable it in the Watch app by tapping Noise and turning off the switch next to Environmental Sound Measurements.

Walkie-Talkie

With WatchOS 5, Apple introduced Walkie-Talkie, which allows Apple Watch wearers to send quick voice messages to friends and family members by speaking into their Apple Watch, similar to real Walkie-Talkies. The person on the receiving end of a Walkie-Talkie message hears their Apple Watch beep and then they see a screen that allows them to approve a connection.

walkietalkieinuse.jpg

If you've used Walkie-Talkie then you may have noticed that the first connection attempt takes a few moments, after which voice messages to and fro are pretty much instant. That's because the feature launches a FaceTime session between the conversing parties. After the last interaction, it retains the active two-way connection for a short amount of time in case another message is recorded, and switches off again when none is forthcoming.

Anecdotally, people have reported an improvement in battery life with Walkie-Talkie off. You can disable it via the Control Center on your Apple Watch - swipe up on a watch face to reveal it, then tap the Walkie Talkie toggle so that it's no longer yellow. Note that if you turn it off and someone tries to speak to you, they'll see a message that you are unavailable, and you'll receive a notification.

best-buy-apple-watch-late-october-sale-800x305.jpg

Fixing Persistent Battery Issues

Bluetooth, Unpairing, and Hard Reset

If you've had no luck improving the battery life of your Apple Watch using the above tips, there are still a few steps you can take.

It's worth noting at this point that disabling Bluetooth on your iPhone increases the battery drain on your Apple Watch, so keep Bluetooth enabled on your phone and see if that helps.

If your watch battery drains unusually fast, try a hard reset: Hold down both side buttons for about 10 seconds until the display goes off and the device reboots. In addition, some users have found that unpairing and their Apple Watch from their iPhone can smooth out battery issues, especially after a recent software update. Make sure keep your Apple Watch and iPhone close together as you unpair them.

Open the Watch app on your iPhone, go to the My Watch tab, then tap your watch at the top of the screen. Tap next to the watch that you want to unpair, then tap Unpair Apple Watch. Once that's done, you'll need to set up your Apple Watch again and restore from a backup.

If none of the above solutions work for you, it's time to try resetting the watch to factory defaults.

Reset Apple Watch to Factory Default Settings

To do this on your Apple Watch, open Settings and select General -> Reset. (The same option lies at the bottom of the iOS Watch app's General menu.) This action erases everything off your watch, including any media, data, settings, messages, and so on. You'll also need to re-pair the watch with your iPhone after the process is complete, so treat it as a last resort.

Note that after a new pairing or update, your watch may take a few days to learn and adapt to your usage, before smoothing out into a more consistent balance between battery life and performance.

Check for Software Updates

Apple is continually refining its software for Apple Watch, and updates to the operating system sometimes come with bug fixes which can resolve related battery drain issues, so it's important to make sure your device is running the latest software.

As of writing, the latest version of the Apple Watch operating system is watchOS 6, which can be downloaded for free through the dedicated Watch app on the iPhone by tapping the My Watch tab and going to General -> Software Update. To install software updates, your Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of your iPhone.

Contact Apple Support

If none of these tips work, check to see if your Apple Watch is still under warranty. A standard one-year warranty is included with every Apple Watch (Stainless Steel, Aluminum, and Nike+) and a two-year warranty is included with Apple Watch Edition and Hermès models. All warranties include service coverage for a defective battery. If your watch is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery service, although prices may vary depending on where you live.

Article Link: How to Get More Battery Life Out of Your Apple Watch

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: amartinez1660

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
(42mm AW3 GPS) - Turning off Siri has helped me definitely. I never use it on my iPhone so I turned it off on the watch. I also have raise to wake off because of the battery savings as well. I only have 3-4 apps installed on my watch and most notifications turned off. With this setup, I can end a day at 96% from a full charge. If I do a 40 minute exercise, I'll end the day from the mid 80s to low 90s.

If I have raise to wake on, I'll end the day at 70-83% without exercise. And yes, just turning on Theater mode can save a ton of battery. I find typing at work results in a ton of screen lightups.

I can easily get to 2 days and have 50%+ charge left. But putting my watch on the charger every morning next to my bed results in a 100% battery after a quick shower so... I just charge it everynight.

My wife's AW3 GPS 38mm - all notifications on, raise to wake on, she'll end the day at 30-40% but she is a much heavier iPhone and AW user than I am.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
(42mm AW3 GPS) - Turning off Siri has helped me definitely. I never use it on my iPhone so I turned it off on the watch. I also have raise to wake off because of the battery savings as well. I only have 3-4 apps installed on my watch and most notifications turned off. With this setup, I can end a day at 96% from a full charge. If I do a 40 minute exercise, I'll end the day from the mid 80s to low 90s.

If I have raise to wake on, I'll end the day at 70-83% without exercise. And yes, just turning on Theater mode can save a ton of battery. I find typing at work results in a ton of screen lightups.

I can easily get to 2 days and have 50%+ charge left. But putting my watch on the charger every morning next to my bed results in a 100% battery after a quick shower so... I just charge it everynight.

My wife's AW3 GPS 38mm - all notifications on, raise to wake on, she'll end the day at 30-40% but she is a much heavier iPhone and AW user than I am.

Thanks for the insight! Battery has been my biggest concern with the watch but this makes it seem well above reasonable and I may pick one up now.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Or You can just replace your battery features made for the watch shouldn’t be turned off

You don't have to turn off the features, you can minimize them with the brightness, haptic feedback and volume being reduced.

I found out that "Hey Siri" actually uses significant battery life when it's using the microphone to listen for your voice. With that disabled, my battery life has increased significantly.

BrennanWDavis

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Dallas, TX
While I appreciate all of these useful tips, it feels like following through with this would just end up turning your Apple Watch into a FitBit Charge 2. I ended up ponying up the extra money for a charger by my nightstand and a charged at my desk at work so that I can use the full capabilities of my Apple Watch.

I trust that eventually Apple will increase the battery life enough that this won't be as much of a concern. Until then...

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Cant recall the last time I opened an actual app on my first gen Apple Watch lol literally only use it as a watch nowadays. The worst part is that my wrist got so used to the watch that I don’t really notice / feel any of my incoming notifications any more

ijbond

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
Funny, I am very happy with the battery life of my Apple watch. After my fancy the time duration of the display after wrist raise should even be longer.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008

What’s the point of conserving all that battery capacity if you’re not going to use any of the useful functionality of the product with that battery?

I don’t see the point of conserving battery just to say to yourself “nice, I only used 4 percent battery today.”

Sounds like your wife is actually USING the product as it should be used. If you can get easily a full days usage of the Watch without crippling it, and still have extra 1/4 battery to spare by bed time, I’d say the battery is doing it’s job.

Sorry, but I don’t understand all the battery anxiety, splitting hairs over how much capacity remains at the end of a day. As long as it doesn’t die mid-day, what does it matter?

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
I get three days out of my Series 3 if I shut it complete off at night. I don't think turning off all of its features is necessary.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
To improve the battery life of the watch; turn off the complications, turn off the notifications, turn off the watch face, turn off the haptic (wobbly) thing, turn off Siri, turn off the heart monitor, turn off the sound, take off the watch and put it back in its box and return it to the store. Buy a clockwork watch.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
What’s the point of conserving all that battery capacity if you’re not going to use any of the useful functionality of the product with that battery?

I don’t see the point of conserving battery just to say to yourself “nice, I only used 4 percent battery today.”

Sounds like your wife is actually USING the product as it should be used. If you can get easily a full days usage of the Watch without crippling it, and still have extra 1/4 battery to spare by bed time, I’d say the battery is doing it’s job.

Sorry, but I don’t understand all the battery anxiety, splitting hairs over how much capacity remains at the end of a day. As long as it doesn’t die mid-day, what does it matter?

I've never used Siri, so no functionality lost there.

I get notifications for text messages (iMessage) and calls - have actually taken quite a few calls on the watch itself.

I use the watch for sleep monitoring (autosleep) and I wear it all day, all night and use HeartWatch for very detailed heart monitoring throughout the entire day. Autosleep provides me with a very detailed chart/graph of my sleep quality (with heart rate). I also participate in the Apple Heart Study and have 331+ heart rhythm data contributions in the last 40 days. Whenever I exercise I use the Apple Activities app and have run more in the last 2.9 months than I have in my entire life because of this watch. The GPS feature is incredibly useful because I don't have to take my phone with me on the run like I did my Fitbit 2 (hr).

I have WaterMinder reminding me to take drinks throughout the day - something that has been a huge help because I work at a computer and often get so focused I forget to drink for half the day. The "Time to Stand" notifications are awesome too and have had a positive influence on my health (as someone who sits at a computer all day).

I don't know, I believe I am using the watch and I'm enjoying it. I'm not going out of my way to try to get extra battery - my post was more to show what I do and my battery life.

My wife is involved in social media (I am not) and will get 3-4 dozen notifications per hour on her watch, probably more indicative of most people's usage experience - as well as raise to wake, which I disable because I find it turns on all the time while I'm typing at work.

Definitely don't think I'm intentionally conserving battery and I think I'm using a lot of the functionality of the product. Absolutely love the custom faces and the CARROT weather app complications. :)

Last edited:

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I have a S0 and a S3+LTE, and on both watches by the time I go to bed I have around 70% of battery left. I have raise to wake on, "Hey Siri", Heart rate monitor on, highest brightness setting, and the only app that I use that refreshes and updates itself is Dark Sky. I never really open an app on my AW, and I have auto-install apps turned off. I only have about four apps installed on my S3. I also do not really use a lot of notifications. For notifications I have iMessages, ESPN (only news related to my teams and breaking news), Bleacher Report (same as ESPN settings), Fox News (breaking news), Dark Sky, and that is all I can think of right now, and I do not use email on the watch. I also have Haptic on its highest setting along with Prominent Haptic.

I honestly do not get what some of you do with your watches that you run out of battery, or even come close?!

The only time I really drain my battery is if I go out to run an errand without my iPhone X and use LTE. LTE does drain the battery quite a bit, but even then when I go to bed it is around 35-40%.

:apple:

Last edited:

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
It would be nice if they would make it so it just checks your heart rate less often during a workout instead of having the options be "none or 100 billion times a minute."

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
If you have a series 0 the best way to fix the battery issue is to sell it and use that money to buy an S1/2 lol.

When I had a S0 I tried everything several times and it didn’t make a difference, I was still getting maybe 11 hours of battery life.

Reactions: RandyHoD

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Cant recall the last time I opened an actual app on my first gen Apple Watch lol literally only use it as a watch nowadays. The worst part is that my wrist got so used to the watch that I don’t really notice / feel any of my incoming notifications any more

first gen here too and don't open apps often also. i can go home from work to 70% battery life or better. I don't need a better battery, i need it to not be as slow when opening something though for what i use it - it's fine. besides i got a stupid good deal on my 42mm SS. don't think that deal will come around again on the newer models.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
My AW2 and now AW3 I have never really encountered major issue with battery. Just one time after using the workout app for 4+ hours I end up the day with 15% battery left. For the most part working out for 1 or 2 hours, I end up the day with 50 to 60% battery juice.
Since I charge overnight while sleeping, I honestly don't think it is a big issue.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My AW2 and now AW3 I have never really encountered major issue with battery. Just one time after using the workout app for 4+ hours I end up the day with 15% battery left. For the most part working out for 1 or 2 hours, I end up the day with 50 to 60% battery juice.
Since I charge overnight while sleeping, I honestly don't think it is a big issue.

Once in a while, software glitches occur with the Apple Watch. That usually can be remedied with a hard reset by holding down the volume button and digital crown for 10 seconds.

kyykesko

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
The way to get AW battery to last: turn off all features turning it into an average watch with less than average battery life. Yay. I can barely live with charging a watch weekly. Not daily.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Sad that users have to talk about how to get a day or more out of your apple device.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I am lucky that my Apple Watch lasts about 36-48 hours without any tweaks. The only days it gives me trouble are on long runs where I listen to Bluetooth music and have the GPS working. I think if I was a marathon runner it would not last - but mostly because I am too slow. It’s does great for half marathons without recharging until night time. Lucky.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I really wish they had an option to turn raise to wake off, but still have it wake the screen for all notifications/GPS directions.

I turned raise to wake off because it was constantly turning the screen on all day long while sitting at my desk working. But now the only thing the face wakes up for automatically is phone calls. Why not wake up for text notifications and GPS directions too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.