Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Every morning I have this popup window on macOS Catalina. Running latest version.
Not sure how to disable get rid of this annoying popup. Ive searched for an uninstall but can't find one.

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 8.28.16 AM.png

Eliott69

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2019
On the main drive (usually called Macintosh HD) go to the folder Library > LaunchAgents and move the following file away (or delete it):
com.microsoft.update.agent.plist

Reactions: bernuli

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Every morning I have this popup window on macOS Catalina. Running latest version.
Not sure how to disable get rid of this annoying popup. Ive searched for an uninstall but can't find one.

View attachment 907643
I got this popup today for the first time (at least looking like that). Is Tim now taking backhanders from Microsoft to further infiltrate Apple tools?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
The app is here /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/Microsoft AutoUpdate.app
However, deleting it is useless if you still have Microsoft apps installed (Word, Edge or others) because they will require you to install it again.
Here is how I managed to stop it from launching at start-up, from Terminal
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.update.agent.plist Disabled -bool YES
sudo defaults write /Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.update.agent.plist RunAtLoad -bool NO
sudo chflags schg /Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.update.agent.plist

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
This behavior started with the last update to AutoUpdate. I'll find the app running in the dock, but it won't quit unless I hit force quit. This happens periodically even if I don't re-start my Mac. I'm still running Mojave, so this is clearly a Microsoft problem and I hope they fix it quickly.

Reactions: GIZBUG

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
One more thing, if you want to disable feedback, telemetry and starting of the Microsoft AutoUpdate app when you start another Microsoft app:
Code:
defaults write com.microsoft.autoupdate2 'MAUFeedbackEnabled' -bool FALSE
defaults write com.microsoft.autoupdate2 'SendAllTelemetryEnabled' -bool FALSE
defaults write com.microsoft.autoupdate2 'StartDaemonOnAppLaunch' -bool FALSE

ProTruckDriver

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2016
Virginia
I was getting it every morning also. Now I don't get it anymore. I booted into "Safe Mode" then after signing into Safe Mode I went to shut down (not restart) computer. After the computer shut down I started the computer up. I haven't seen this update popup after doing that. I hope it works for you, it did for me. :)

calbear92

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
I just re-downloaded Office from the Mac App Store and installed. (Originally, Office installed from MS DMG) Then, the MS Auto Update goes away and you will get "update" notifications from the Mac App Store. Much less intrusive IMO.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I had this issue also - I did the total restart of the system and it seems to not happen today - we'll see

Naranjado

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2016
The app is here /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/Microsoft AutoUpdate.app
However, deleting it is useless if you still have Microsoft apps installed (Word, Edge or others) because they will require you to install it again.
Here is how I managed to stop it from launching at start-up, from Terminal
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.update.agent.plist Disabled -bool YES
sudo defaults write /Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.update.agent.plist RunAtLoad -bool NO
sudo chflags schg /Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.update.agent.plist
Thank you for this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.