Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On the Apple TV, if you prefer not to input text using the Siri Remote you can use a nearby iPhone or iPad to type. Whenever a text field appears on the Apple TV, a notification appears on the iPhone or iPad, and after tapping the notification, you can use the on-screen keyboard on your iOS device to enter text on the Apple TV.

apple-tv-keyboard-notification-iphone-tight.jpg

It used to be the case that you could disable these notifications if you started to find them annoying (and if you have several Apple TVs in the house with kids using them or multiple paired iOS devices, you'll know what we mean), but despite advertising this option in its tvOS 15 User Guide, Apple for some reason removed this ability in iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, which quickly prompted many user complaints.

The good news is that in the Apple has reinstated the ability to turn off Apple TV keyboard notifications. If you're running iOS/iPadOS 15.1 or later, here's how to disable them.
  1. Launch Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Tap Notifications.
  3. Under "Notification Style," select Apple TV Keyboard.
  4. Toggle off the switch next to Allow Notifications.
apple-tv-keyboard-notifications.jpg

If you don't see the Apple TV Keyboard listed in the Notifications menu, you may need to connect to your Apple TV and select a text field to activate a keyboard input notification, before it will show up there.

Article Link: How to Stop Apple TV Keyboard Notifications Popping Up on Your iPhone

Last edited:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Apple surely understands that the default should be "do not annoy the user". One notification the first time you connect to an Apple TV might be ok, but doing so every time someone uses an Apple TV is ridiculous. This should never have made it through product testing.

If you need to constantly send such notifications to get users to use your feature, then you need to go back and do a better job of designing it.

alexiaa

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2020
Europe
I disagree, the notification is not to "get users to use your feature". It's more of a convenience thing to not have to swipe down from the control center and manually activate the keyboard every time. Unless you have an external keyboard (or you're just a masochist who loves struggling typing with the physical remote), it's definitely good to have for most people.

Of course, it may be problematic for some people, especially if multiple people in the house use the same Apple TV, so there definitely should be an option to disable it. But personally I find this notification very useful, as my Apple TV is the only one in the house and only my phone is paired with it.

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
This feature is very useful. I don’t understand what’s the problem with it. Does anybody actually want to type the words by the remote?

P.S. I forgot it pops up in other family members’ phones too.

Last edited:

timmyh

Contributing Editor
Mar 18, 2016
Edinburgh, UK
This feature is very useful. I don’t understand what’s the problem with it. Does anybody actually want to type the words by the remote?
Absolutely it's useful. But not universally. It can get to be an issue when you're not the one navigating the Apple TV interface.

Reactions: haruhiko

HQuest

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
I love this feature. More so as I can send random notes to others - or get a Rick Astley video playing in no time, including when I’m downstairs ?

Agit21

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
And now tell us Macrumors how to disable the annoying notifications about the loud volume and how harmful it is.

• Haha
Reactions: ohio.emt

rs-mac

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2021
Excellent! Glad Apple didn't drag their feet too long on this fix.

I guess the engineers that kept claiming this was all working as designed got scolded.

tribalflags

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2021
Scotland / Finland
Yasss! This has been the one thing that's been bugging me about iOS 15, (yeah, I know many are having various issues, but so far I love 15). But every time someone uses the Apple TV, I get slammed with notification after notification and noticed the option to shut it up was gone in 15. Glad to see it's making a return.

jjdodders

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
This is great and all but I need someone to tell me how to disable the irritating and ever-present warning on safari that certain websites (Twitter) are using significant memory (even though I have tons of unused ram). What am I supposed to do, just stop using those websites!?

I upgraded to the latest version of Big Sur and Safari since this screenshot but the message still shows up.

significant memory.png

CLS9

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
Florida
No matter what I do, I can't get Apple TV Keyboard to show up in Notifications. I have iOS 15.1, latest TVOS, I've paired them, activated Remote, selected text field, and still no Apple TV Keyboard. Lucky me. I get to continue with the annoying Apple TV Keyboard notifications with no way to turn them off. :mad:

CLS9

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
Florida
This is great and all but I need someone to tell me how to disable the irritating and ever-present warning on safari that certain websites (Twitter) are using significant memory (even though I have tons of unused ram). What am I supposed to do, just stop using those websites!?

I upgraded to the latest version of Big Sur and Safari since this screenshot but the message still shows up.

View attachment 1863784
There is no way to get rid of this message. I've just decided to ignore it. Everything still works just fine.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
On the other hand, is there a way to disable the annoying "Not your AirPods Pro" notification whenever someone around you takes them out of their case to use? ?

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Thanks; I just started noticing this a few nights ago. But now that I look, I'm on 15.0.2; 15.1 isn't out for everyone yet, right?

eelynek

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
On a semi-related note, I keep getting annoying "tips" notifications on my Apple Watch. It's not even a new Watch, but after "up"grading to iOS 15 it keeps sending me tips on how to use the Watch. Any way to disable these??

bigpoppa

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2005
Seattle, WA USA
No matter what I do, I can't get Apple TV Keyboard to show up in Notifications. I have iOS 15.1, latest TVOS, I've paired them, activated Remote, selected text field, and still no Apple TV Keyboard. Lucky me. I get to continue with the annoying Apple TV Keyboard notifications with no way to turn them off. :mad:
Do you have Bluetooth enabled?

Reactions: GregoriusM

simplyHuman

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2021
it is not annoying notification, it has a purpose and will prompt if you are in search option in ATV. I have 6 ATV and never touch a stock remote. Always use Siri on my HomePods situated all around the house and use voice command ( spectrum TV) to change the channel without having to scroll via remote app or Stocked remote, but when needing to search something, instead of scrolling through letters via stocked remote, I prefer the notification prompt to type in keywords. By the way with watch OS8 you have remote on your watch automatically appears for you to use it. so I don't need my iPhone remote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.