Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

High-resolution photography app Hydra received an update today that brings a couple of much-requested improvements to its camera support.

For those unfamiliar with the app, Hydra merges up to 60 individual images to make a single high-quality picture, effectively getting more light from the scene.

hydra-app-1.5-800x408.jpg

In this way, Hydra produces up to 32-megapixel high-resolution images (4x the 8-megapixel sensor resolution), enhanced HDR, better 2x/4x/8x zoom, and reduced camera noise in low-light scenes.

With the just-released version 1.5 update, users can now activate the telephoto camera in Zoom mode on iPhone with double lenses, as well as the front-facing camera in High Dynamic Range and Lo-Light modes.

The update means Hydra users can now take selfies with improved quality in poor lighting conditions, while the Zoom mode can be used in up to 8x for long shots.

Existing users should note that Hydra 1.5 now requires iOS 10 or later to work. The app costs $4.99 and is available to download for iPhone from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Hydra 1.5 Camera App Update Brings New Zoom and HDR Modes

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Such apps should offer a trial because some suck and others don't. Lightroom is hands down the best app for HDR images on iPhone. I've been blown away by it.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
This app is great for some things, but can’t be the only camera app you use.

Essentially, Hydra does one thing very well (usually)—combining information from many images to create a single image with less noise, better light balance, and higher resolution. Hydra adapts this one ability into several modes, including low light and digital zoom.

What it tries to do, it usually does very well in my limited experience. Low light images usually have noticeably less noise and digital zoom images are noticeably better than using the stock app, or most camera apps I’ve tried.

But Hydra doesn’t seem to take advantage of the second camera on X and Plus iPhones with dual cameras.

And pictures it takes with the front facing camera are not consistently better than the stock app. Sometimes the exposure is better but the colors are a bit off.

Lastly, please someone correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think Hydra can shoot RAW. In fact, there are relatively few options you can adjust considering everything Hydra does.

For iPhone photography enthusiasts, I think this app is worth having on your phone but won’t replace Hallide or whatever your current favorite app might be.

For people who aren’t into the nitty gritty of photography but enjoy taking pictures and want them to come out well, I think you’ll like this app pretty well.

Last edited:

mrmabry

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
I like the high quality mode but man is the HDR bad. It always comes out looking like over processed garbage. But, again, does a good job of low light shots and higher resolution shots.

Reactions: roncron

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
Hmm I wonder how this compares to cortex camera.

It works similarly in that it does image stacking to reduce noise and increase SNR.

Only thing I don't like about Cortex is that the alignment feature isn't that great for handheld images.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Granted it's been a few years, but I have not had good experiences with Creaceed in general or Hydra in particular dating back to the early pre-App-Store Mac days. Hydra was never very good at auto-aligning images and I could never find a good, subtle tone curve.

I hate pictures that scream "I've been processed to look like a bad paint-by-numbers so you can tell I'm using fancy HDR Technology in my art!".

Illumiiinati

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2015
Halide is incredible.

But you can't zoom with Halide (other than switching between 1x and 2x cameras on X and Plus iPhones). I use digital zoom to compose a shot. Without it, I have to crop after capturing the image.
Halide has in built one touch button to edit in Darkroom. I think it’s an easy way to edit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.