Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hey all, so I'm in an interesting predicament. I hope off the bat no one thinks I'm trolling seeing as I've been a member for years but my situation goes like this:

A buddy told me to tag along a public auction in the city of Los Angeles and to my surprise many interesting items were being sold. As luck would have it an iPad mini 1st gen was on the list and seeing as perhaps it was a slow Tuesday I managed to get it for $100. The issue though is that it was password protected. I then thought (considering I've done the following with previous iOS devices) to simply restore the iPad and set it up that way, but of course with iOS 7 the device is locked. I can't go to the owner considering I don't even know who the guy is, all I know is the crime he committed was some battery assault charge and the dude was already on probation and will be there for at least two years.

I don't want to admit I have a bricked iPad mini. Such a shame too cause I was so happy to get this item.

Any help in the right direction is heavily appreciated.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I think what you don't want to admit is the reality of the situation. :(

Looking at recent eBay auctions for these, looks like you might be able to resell it for more than $100 though.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Probably your best bet is selling it on ebay for parts. Otherwise you might be able to go in with proof of where you got it and get apple to help you.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Just admit you stole it

Considering he's been around here for awhile I'm pretty sure he didn't steal it. Plus most of the posts from people who come across like they stole it are from people with almost no previous posts coming in with a very vague story about how they ended up in the predicament.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well, when I first heard about activation lock, I knew it was a matter of time before someone who obtained an iDevice legitimately was locked out. If OP doesn't mind being a guinea pig, I'm curious how Apple customer support responds to a case like this.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Probably your best bet is selling it on ebay for parts. Otherwise you might be able to go in with proof of where you got it and get apple to help you.

Dunno. I'm sure Apple gets these types of requests all the time. Could be risky without an Apple ID associated with the iPad. I'd say at least try and see what they say. Get all the info you can from the police auction place you got it at. They should have documented it pretty well if they got it from the guy in jail.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Dunno. I'm sure Apple gets these types of requests all the time. Could be risky without an Apple ID associated with the iPad. I'd say at least try and see what they say. Get all the info you can from the police auction place you got it at. They should have documented it pretty well if they got it from the guy in jail.

Yeah, I'm sure Apple gets lots of requests to unlock them. I'm thinking if he has it well documented that he legitimately bought it from a police auction there is a decent chance apple might help, and if not I don't think it would hurt.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Can't he do a DFU restore?

Nope. You do a DFU restore, the device will go through the restore process, then ask you for your Apple ID password (in this case belonging to the jailed criminal) in order to start using the device.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
Nope. You do a DFU restore, the device will go through the restore process, then ask you for your Apple ID password (in this case belonging to the jailed criminal) in order to start using the device.

Does Activation Lock on iOS 7 require turning it on (iCloud) at any point or are all iOS 7 devices automatically protected at initial activation?

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Break it with a hammer, take it and get an out of warranty replacement. Other than a refund, that' she only thing I can think one should do with it.

Don't sell it to anyone else.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Does Activation Lock on iOS 7 require turning it on (iCloud) at any point or are all iOS 7 devices automatically protected at initial activation?

You need to sign in to an iCloud account, and turn on Find My iPad.

frojj

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
Take your police auction receipt to an apple store. I don't think they will give you any troubles.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Break it with a hammer, take it and get an out of warranty replacement. Other than a refund, that' she only thing I can think one should do with it.

Could this possibly work? The only info I have from the police station is a receipt for a purchase titled "electronic item" it doesn't even say tablet on it. I hugely doubt I can obtain in deeper info about the guy being jailed.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Could this possibly work? The only info I have from the police station is a receipt for a purchase titled "electronic item" it doesn't even say tablet on it. I hugely doubt I can obtain in deeper info about the guy being jailed.

It should work. You could even just drop it in water.... Straight up out of warranty replacement then. Not sure if that is the cheapest route though...

You don't need a receipt. It should be fine...

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

If there's no apple care plus he will have to pay $279 or whatever the cost of the replacement is right?

rjlawrencejr

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
LA/OC/IE
The only thing that concerns me is why the iPad was seized? Is that part of his restitution? If it was sold at a police auction, does that mean it was not stolen property?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
If it was sold at a police auction, does that mean it was not stolen property?

Exactly what I was thinking. How does the LAPD know it wasn't stolen?

That said, Apple clearly must have a way to unlock iOS7 devices because I returned a pass code locked iPad Mini last week and forgot to wipe it. They will obviously resell it somehow.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
If there's no apple care plus he will have to pay $279 or whatever the cost of the replacement is right?

Im rally curious re: this route now. Hoping it would be like a $100 fee, still being cheaper than an Mini brand new. I may go to the Apple Store tomorrow. Hell, I need to check if this thing had AppleCare on it; doubt it, but worth a try.

----------

Exactly what I was thinking. How does the LAPD know it wasn't stolen?

That said, Apple clearly must have a way to unlock iOS7 devices because I returned a pass code locked iPad Mini last week and forgot to wipe it. They will obviously resell it somehow.

Apparently a bunch of stuff was seized from whoever this person was. And a DVD player, Playstation and other items were being auctioned off. But deeper than that I haven't a clue.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Here is what you need to do in order to get activation lock lifted...

You need to call AppleCare and provide the device serial number...do what the advisor asks because the call is going to be needed to get escalated to a senior advisor.

In order for the find my iPad taken off, your case is going to be forwarded to the FWIP department. Your going to have to provide a proof of purchase and email it to a email address the advisor will provide you.

Sounds like a lot of work, but if you want to keep the device, this the only option you got.

Hope this helps

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Here is what you need to do in order to get activation lock lifted...

You need to call AppleCare and provide the device serial number...do what the advisor asks because the call is going to be needed to get escalated to a senior advisor.

In order for the find my iPad taken off, your case is going to be forwarded to the FWIP department. Your going to have to provide a proof of purchase and email it to a email address the advisor will provide you.

Sounds like a lot of work, but if you want to keep the device, this the only option you got.

Hope this helps

I believ this would be what'll most likely come of this... however i just have a stub. This sucks cause i badly want to be using an iPad. lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.