Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I have nothing but problems on Windows, especially every single major update causes problems. I am also not a fan of Microsoft just enabling features out of nowhere (News and Interests taskbar just enabled after an update).

Leave my workspace alone thanks.

Also, at work we have had issues with printers as of late, and Microsoft just released another update that causes printing issues.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Well if you are having problems perhaps there is something wrong with your computer. I run Windows on seven different systems and I have no issues at all. It is rock solid and gets out of my way and lets me work or play. The systems are on for hours at a time. I don't care one way or another myself about news and interests, but it doesn't get in my way so I am not bothered. All systems these days, to include Apple seem hell bent on provided these "extras".

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I've been using every new macOS release since Tiger with no major issues and have been using Big Sur for quite a while now with absolutely ZERO issues. So I have no idea what you're on about.
Only issue I have ever had with macOS was Catalina causing kernel panics during Sleep. Mojave did not have issues. Apple confirmed it was a Catalina issue, got resolved in one of the latest updates on Mojave (before Big Sur came out). When Big Sur came out, kernel panics came back. If I had to guess, someone forgot to cherry pick their code that fixed Mojave. Kernel panics went away in the first update to Big Sur.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Well if you are having problems perhaps there is something wrong with your computer. I run Windows on seven different systems and I have no issues at all. It is rock solid and gets out of my way and lets me work or play. The systems are on for hours at a time. I don't care one way or another myself about news and interests, but it doesn't get in my way so I am not bothered. All systems these days, to include Apple seem hell bent on provided these "extras".
I have never seen Apple shove features down my throat on the menu bar or dock. Yet Microsoft likes to change the Start menu and task bar toolbars when they feel like it and force it as enabled. Do some research, it was not just me that had that "News and Interests" toolbar on my taskbar enabled just after an update. Its actually confirmed to be set to enabled by default by update KB5001391.

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Do some research, it was not just me that had that "News and Interests" toolbar on my taskbar enabled just after an update. Its actually confirmed to be set to enabled by default by update KB5001391.

Yup - many reports by users to IT departments thinking it was malware disguised as some weather app garbage. Which it certainly resembles at first glance -- think IE toolbars.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Yup - many reports by users to IT departments thinking it was malware disguised as some weather app garbage. Which it certainly resembles at first glance -- think IE toolbars.
Not going to lie, for about 2 seconds I thought the same. But then I remembered Microsoft likes to do these things. Then I had to research how to turn it off as it wasn't as obvious to me.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
I have never seen Apple shove features down my throat on the menu bar or dock. Yet Microsoft likes to change the Start menu and task bar toolbars when they feel like it and force it as enabled. Do some research, it was not just me that had that "News and Interests" toolbar on my taskbar enabled just after an update. Its actually confirmed to be set to enabled by default by update KB5001391.
Well, I have no interest in the Mac news app, but there it is. I don't use imessage either, nor Apple music. I could go on and on. The days when you could just get a basic operating system and choose only what you want are long gone. I also have no interest in Apple TV or games arcade.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Well, I have no interest in the Mac news app, but there it is. I don't use imessage either, nor Apple music. I could go on and on. The days when you could just get a basic operating system and choose only what you want are long gone. I also have no interest in Apple TV or games arcade.
Not sure why you are comparing what I am saying with programs. I don't use Your Phone, Weather, Voice Recorder, Video Editor and more on Windows. I am talking about things actually impacting my day to day work. When that News and Interests was on my taskbar, it shifted my pinned apps and caused some weird visual glitches. Seriously, look it up if you don't know what it is, Its an actual item in your taskbar and quite large.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
I don't have to look it up. I use Windows. I am looking at it right now. It is showing the weather, which I admit is kind of convenient. It I click on it it will show the latest news. If I ignore it, it does nothing. It does not in any other way affect my task bar. So again maybe there is something wrong with your computer.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I don't have to look it up. I use Windows. I am looking at it right now. It is showing the weather, which I admit is kind of convenient. It I click on it it will show the latest news. If I ignore it, it does nothing. It does not in any other way affect my task bar. So again maybe there is something wrong with your computer.
So you are not going to look up issues then huh? I am NOT alone when I had weird graphical glitches, so it is NOT my computer. But I guess anyone has anything negative to say about Windows is just "their computer is the problem"?

I encountered this, I am not alone.

Also, this was a MAJOR issue at our work as there is a Ricoh printer.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Well I read the article. It states that the problem is caused by disabling the news and info widget. Since I never bothered with it and it didn't bother me, I don't have the problem. There are however two solutions. 1. Re enable it. 2. uninstall the update. What is the point of making such a big deal out of a simple issue? You might not care for the feature, but there are those that do like it. Just like I don't use iMessage, but I realize there are those that do. Pick the solution that works for you and move on. You are using systems that are in use by over a billion people, it cannot cater to just what you want. If you want that kind of system... Use Linux. Otherwise realize that just because you don't like something, does not mean that others are not enjoying it.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Well I read the article. It states that the problem is caused by disabling the news and info widget. Since I never bothered with it and it didn't bother me, I don't have the problem. There are however two solutions. 1. Re enable it. 2. uninstall the update. What is the point of making such a big deal out of a simple issue? You might not care for the feature, but there are those that do like it. Just like I don't use iMessage, but I realize there are those that do. Pick the solution that works for you and move on. You are using systems that are in use by over a billion people, it cannot cater to just what you want. If you want that kind of system... Use Linux. Otherwise realize that just because you don't like something, does not mean that others are not enjoying it.
Why am I making a big deal out of it, because it was a monthly cumulative update that you typically need to apply for security? And it introduced that feature without my consent? And caused some visual anomalies? Seriously, why don't you get that people can be upset about this? And several months ago we had a mess of stuff to deal with a work because Microsoft decided to release an update that causes blue screens when you print to some printers, which we had.

These aren't just some optional updates, they are the patch Tuesday updates you should apply. Again, I am not here complaining that Windows includes Voice Recorder that I don't use, I am talking about a required update via Windows Update that forced a feature down my throat without asking and caused issues and time away from my work to research how to turn off.

I would have NO PROBLEM AT ALL if that feature rolled out silently and you OPT-IN. But it was FORCED.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
And Microsoft adds features that they think people will like. My Uncle loves the task bar feature. He is a news junky. He also likes having the weather at a glance. For him, not having to go and search for programs and widgets works well as he doesn't know that much about computers. So again, this is not just about what you want. If you want to have things your way with total control, the best option is Linux. Now there is a death of programs, but you can't have everything. I am sorry, but I cannot take such hyperbole seriously. If you were to tell me that the system is crashing and freezing... Okay that is a problem... But to complain about a widget?! No life is too short. All you had to do was note the update and keep going... We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I only get upset when systems are unstable, not because a simple feature that I don't use was added.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
And Microsoft adds features that they think people will like. My Uncle loves the task bar feature. He is a news junky. He also likes having the weather at a glance. For him, not having to go and search for programs and widgets works well as he doesn't know that much about computers. So again, this is not just about what you want. If you want to have things your way with total control, the best option is Linux. Now there is a death of programs, but you can't have everything. I am sorry, but I cannot take such hyperbole seriously. If you were to tell me that they system is crashing and freezing... Okay that is a problem... But to complain about a widget?! No life is too short. All you had to do was not the update and keep going... We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I only get upset when systems are unstable, not because a simple feature that I don't use was added.
You are not understanding. That feature rolled out and was forced enabled by default which was buggy and caused issues. I have stated I would be fine with the feature if it was an opt-in feature. What are you not understanding here? Of course people can like the feature. Am I saying otherwise? Not really sure what you are arguing here. You can like apps I don't. I never stated Microsoft should remove that feature, just have it be opt-in instead of forcing it down people's throats.

IT....WAS unstable for me via that graphical glitch.

And like I said, back in March Microsoft released an update that caused blue screens printing to some printers, which our office had. So that was another issue that fits your "crashing and freezing" criteria. I guess we can NEVER EVER say anything bad about something unless it crashes or freezes our system? Then why are you complaining about iMessage?

Reactions: ikir and 09872738

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
You are not understanding. That feature rolled out and was forced enabled by default which was buggy and caused issues. I have stated I would be fine with the feature if it was an opt-in feature. What are you not understanding here? Of course people can like the feature. Am I saying otherwise? Not really sure what you are arguing here. You can like apps I don't. I never stated Microsoft should remove that feature, just have it be opt-in instead of forcing it down people's throats.

IT....WAS unstable for me via that graphical glitch.
How would your "opt in" work? Because neither Apple nor Microsoft have an "opt in" option. Do you think most people would want to read a lengthy list of what an update is and have to interact with a yes or no? Really? Yes well I don't think that is what most people would want. But again if that is your cup of tea... Linux does that.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
How would your "opt in" work? Because neither Apple nor Microsoft have an "opt in" option. Do you think most people would want to read a lengthy list of what an update is and have to interact with a yes or no? Really? Yes well I don't think that is what most people would want. But again if that is your cup of tea... Linux does that.

Uhhhhh perhaps by prompting you? Saying somewhere there is a new feature, just right click the task bar and enable it? Done. Saved IT costs of people calling in helpdesk thinking its just some random malware (many PUP malware act similar to this) because it sure looks like it if it randomly pops up out of nowhere.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Most people are not calling in to any help desk (I work in IT in the support department) because most people are not digging around looking to uninstall such a simple feature. And most people don't want the computer interrupting them to ask inane questions. Most people want the updates to install without bothering them. Again, you are not most of the uses of Windows. Your comments remind me of the people complaining about the new features in MacOS, saying that it is too much like IOS, and not what they want a mobile OS on their work computers, yadda yadda yadda. Again, they like you fail to understand that the OS is for millions of people and many like the IOS type features.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Most people are not calling in to any help desk (I work in IT in the support department) because most people are not digging around looking to uninstall such a simple feature. And most people don't want the computer interrupting them to ask inane questions. Most people want the updates to install without bothering them. Again, you are not most of the uses of Windows. Your comments remind me of the people complaining about the new features in MacOS, saying that it is too much like IOS, and not what they want a mobile OS on their work computers, yadda yadda yadda. Again, they like you fail to understand that the OS is for millions of people and many like the IOS type features.
Are you able to read what I am saying? How many times do I need to repeat it? IT....CAUSED....ISSUES..... My taskbar was messed up, so I had to spend some time researching, found out it was introduced in the latest Windows update and found out how to disable it (which caused the bug referenced earlier so I needed to keep the feature enabled and I didn't want that on my taskbar).

I DON'T CARE if the feature is there. In fact, I can right click my taskbar and re-enable it. I don't care!!!!! What I do care about is having it be enabled by default and caused issues. I don't want it enabled. I don't care if its there, you like it great, enable it. I don't like it, I don't want it. But NOWHERE did I complain that the feature is on Windows at all. Like I said, I don't care that Windows includes Voice Recorder that I don't use.

I am NOT complaining about Windows having something I don't use. Please read what I am saying. You are seriously misunderstanding the issue.

Last edited:

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
I have read your posts. The issue was that you removed the feature (which most people did not) and it had an unexpected consequence. The feature is not life threating to your system and so you could just leave it alone. You are choosing to obsess over it as some sort of control issue. If you need that much control you can use Linux. If that won't do than accept that using a more widely used operating system means you have to comprise in terms of control. There are things added to Windows and MacOS that I don't particularly use or care for. I just ignore them. That is all you need to do here. You have created a problem that really is not a problem.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I have read what your posts. The issue was that you removed the feature (which most people did not) and it had an unexpected consequence. The feature is not life threating to your system and so you could just leave it alone. You are choosing to obsess over it as some sort or control issue. If you need that much control you can use Linux. If that won't do than accept that using a more widely used operating system means you have to comprise in terms of control. There are things added to Windows and MacOS that I don't particularly use or care for. I just ignore them. That is all you need to do here. You have created a problem that really is not a problem.
If its impacting my ability to use the taskbar effectively and do my job, its an issue. It was common enough for Microsoft to issue a fix in the next cumulative update.

You clearly are misunderstanding the issue entirely. I don't care that it is there.

I don't use Cortana, but I am not sitting here complaining that Cortana is included with Windows. You are NOT understanding AT ALL. I DON'T CARE if that feature is there or not. But when it causes graphical issues because it was enabled by default THEN its a problem.

I am done, you are not understanding. Cortana existing in Windows, I don't like it. I am not sitting here complaining about feature in Windows that I don't like. If that feature rolled out silently OR not created an issue on my task bar this would not be a problem. BUT it did. You just don't understand the issue I am having and think I am just "having an issue for a feature I don't want to use" which is NOT what I am saying AT ALL. Again, I am not complaining that Windows has things like Cortana. I don't like it, but I don't care that its there. You might like it, great.

Also, move to linux instead of disabling the taskbar option, really? This is all it takes. But you are saying if I want "that much control" I should move to Linux?

Screenshot 2021-07-27 000913.png

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
According to your article it only caused an issue if it was uninstalled. If left alone it does not have the problem, you described. As for Linux, given that you are so upset that you don't have the "control" you want from Microsoft, that is an option that will provide much more control.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
According to your article it only caused an issue if it was uninstalled. If left alone it does not have the problem, you described. As for Linux, given that you are so upset that you don't have the "control" you want from Microsoft, that is an option that will provide much more control.
Yes, which required me to leave a feature on I did NOT want on until that was fixed.

I have the control from Microsoft. I can right-click the taskbar, go to News and Interests and disable. But disabling the feature I don't want was causing the graphical issue. Thus, my issues with the way they handled this feature rollout. I don't care if you use it, feel free. But I can still have problems with something if it impacts my workflow.

Reactions: 09872738
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.