Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
Depends.

The 25,000 limit is for uploaded song. If you have bought music on iTunes, or if iTunes matches songs in your library, it won't count toward the limit.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Right. I'm just thinking that even not counting the music I've bought through iTunes (which is a lot!) I'll be over the 25k. What happens if I'm over the limit and I try to sign up I wonder?

Depends.

The 25,000 limit is for uploaded song. If you have bought music on iTunes, or if iTunes matches songs in your library, it won't count toward the limit.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
If you try, you'll get a message stating your library is too large and you cannot use iTunes Match. You won't be charged if that is the case.

There are several workarounds involving creating additional libraries, although it won't enable you to match all your music, so you'd have to pick and choose.

jW

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Got it. thank you. Is there a way to see how many songs in your library are itunes purchases?

If you try, you'll get a message stating your library is too large and you cannot use iTunes Match. You won't be charged if that is the case.

There are several workarounds involving creating additional libraries, although it won't enable you to match all your music, so you'd have to pick and choose.

jW

Gilj

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
Got it. thank you. Is there a way to see how many songs in your library are itunes purchases?

Edit:
Ops NVM :
iTunes --> File --> New Smart Playlist:
Purchased --> is False

iTunes -->File --> New Smart Playlist:
iCloud status --> is not --> Purchased

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
IDK if it works, there is no iTunes store in my country but try this:

iTunes -->File --> New Smart Playlist:
iCloud status --> is not --> Purchased

I don't know if this works without iTunes Match enabled, but you can also instead do a Smart Playlist and use Kind -> contains -> "Purchased". If you might have older purchased music I would add another criteria for Kind -> contains -> "Protected" as well, because that's how the old stuff shows up.

jW

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Thanks guys. I added a playlist that had two criteria, kind contains protected, and kind contains purchased, but got nothing there, I guess there's no crossover...?

Created two separate lists, each with one of those critera, and got one with about 1k songs, and the other about 2700. The 'Purchased icon under the STORE icon says about 2k.

From all this it seems like I only have about 3k tunes purchased. That means 62,000 ripped. yeesh.

I don't know if this works without iTunes Match enabled, but you can also instead do a Smart Playlist and use Kind -> contains -> "Purchased". If you might have older purchased music I would add another criteria for Kind -> contains -> "Protected" as well, because that's how the old stuff shows up.

jW

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I just made a smart playlist that says iCloud status contains uploaded, and 1698 of 9139 songs were uploaded. If you were to have a match:upload ratio close to my song list, you'd have about 12,000 or less that were uploaded, which is way below the 25,000 max. I think you'll be safe, personally.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
Depends.

Incorrect. Matched songs do count towards the 25k limit, it is only purchased songs which do not.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Thanks guys. I added a playlist that had two criteria, kind contains protected, and kind contains purchased, but got nothing there, I guess there's no crossover...?

Created two separate lists, each with one of those critera, and got one with about 1k songs, and the other about 2700. The 'Purchased icon under the STORE icon says about 2k.

From all this it seems like I only have about 3k tunes purchased. That means 62,000 ripped. yeesh.

Yeah, you have to make sure it's set to show either one, not both. It's the little dropdown for "Any" or "All" at the top of the Smart Playlist setup screen.

That's a ton of songs. Wow.

jW

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Ah, I see! Thanks. Smart playlists are cool, I have some uses for that right off!

And yeah, the library is ridiculously big. I'm sure there's a lot of bloat in there, but nowhere near enough to get me to 25k.

Yeah, you have to make sure it's set to show either one, not both. It's the little dropdown for "Any" or "All" at the top of the Smart Playlist setup screen.

That's a ton of songs. Wow.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.