Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
IMG_0827.jpeg

The previous magic keyboard did not tip over like that when used on a couch or bed. I’m not going to return the keyboard over it but it is quite annoying.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
It was already an issue with the previous MK but even more now as it tilts back a bit more.

That said, when I’m in bed I use my tablet without the MK.

That’s the advantage of a tablet. You can adapt it. Using a laptop in bed is also not a great experience,

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The previous version was not much better.

Agree here. I have the previous version and while I use my MKB on my home desk, I have used it on my lap and it is prone to tipping over. So this really isn’t a surprise the new one does the same. But again, it’s a nonissue for me as I’m mainly using the MKB on my desk.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Agree here. I have the previous version and while I use my MKB on my home desk, I have used it on my lap and it is prone to tipping over. So this really isn’t a surprise the new one does the same. But again, it’s a nonissue for me as I’m mainly using the MKB on my desk.
I liked the reasoning behind the previous version IPP/ MKB setup but, when it came to actual use beyond a flat desk, it failed. My thought process in getting the iPP 2020 with MKB at the time was to use it as my main device in bed, on the couch, on the go, around the house mindset. I found that the MKB easily tipped and if I didn't actively push down with my wrist on the MKB when typing, it would tip. It would tip at the slightest movement as well. This became frustrating. I used the setup at work at times and it did fine on a desk. My work flow has changed so, I don't need an iPad at work anymore and at home, I wouldn't need a MKB. I do carry my iPad mini outside the house almost every day and I do fine without a keyboard. If I did get the new model, I wouldn't bother with the MKB. It is a lot of money to spend on casual use.

Last edited:

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
Just got my MKB and 13” M4 yesterday and it’s true that the balance of the combo is different than the previous version and can certainly tip backwards more easily. But that’s only when you’re not typing / working with your hands on the keyboard, as god intended. I’m guessing that for consumption purposes, it might be best to get a folio cover of some type that offers better balance options. In normal work use, on my lap, I’m totally fine with how it behaves. The new aluminum keyboard cover feels great and the trackpad is way more responsive, plus having the iPad pushed further away helps with typing, where my fingers don’t have a tendency to hit the iPad.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Apparently the hinge is now rectangular instead of round and thus the very rear of the iPad doesn't actually sit flat on a table! This makes it much easier to get it to start tipping over.

Reactions: Rogifan

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
It was like that with the previous one too. I always found it very annoying when using it in bed when staying at a hotel (the only time I would use an iPad in bed, due to lack of a sofa with a table in front of it in some cases), and I find this new one just as annoying.

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
View attachment 2381879

The previous magic keyboard did not tip over like that when used on a couch or bed. I’m not going to return the keyboard over it but it is quite annoying.
Probably because it’s sitting on uneven soft bed sheets. 🤷‍♂️ The new magic keyboard is no worse than the older MK in this regard. In many ways..the new MK improves greatly on the older one.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
If you’re using it with the Magic Keyboard in bed you might as well just get a MacBook. The appeal of this combo is you can take it off the keyboard for when you’re in bed or lying back.
I used the previous one in bed all the time. This one definitely tips back more easily.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Probably because it’s sitting on uneven soft bed sheets. 🤷‍♂️ The new magic keyboard is no worse than the older MK in this regard. In many ways..the new MK improves greatly on the older one.
Oh for sure it does. But mine does tip backwards more easily than the previous MK did.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Have been using a 13” iPad Pro fairly intensively for a while now, a couple of observations:
  • these issues with a keyboard tend to be more pronounced with a 13” vs 11” (obviously, different weights & distribution);
  • yes the new magic keyboard tends to be more overbalanced than the last one becuase on the now more extreme angle, but also can be made a little less steep;
  • am presently typing on an new ESR Rebound Keyboard 360 for the 13” and and found this superior to the Magic Keyboard in this particular balancing respect;
  • ’looks like a macboook air’, sure, yadda yadda, vastly overpriced & for something which does not adequately replace a laptop because of this overbalancing issue, ie, actually ‘on the lap’, bed, whatever;
  • finally I find the ‘pull’ about the new, giant trackpad to be disingenuous /silly, the trackpad of Apple macbooks is really there to make up for the lack of a touch screen on a macos that is still not available (ditto the macbook pro touchbar); I hardly need this with an iPad which indeed does have a touch OS; in tandem with the ESR keyboard & smaller track pad, I find myself using it exactly like my daily driver Asus touch screen laptop, ie: the keyboard for typing of course, but so many other simple tasks used on the screen vs trackpad, eg: swiping, closing windows, opening & closing applications, responding to text box prompts & alerts etc etc. just like the Asus, the track pad is rarely used.
The only gap I’ve personally found about all of this: I also want to use the iPad without keyboard for Netflix etc, laying on the couch, in bed etc. I also want the ipad in a sleeve with protected sides. Fine, there are options for that both in Magic keyboard compatibility (eg Pitaka etc) or with ESR (the keyboard comes with magnetic sleeve). But the thing is, I now really miss a light kickstand for bed, couch & hands-off viewing. There doesn’t appear to be an interchangeable solution yet, ie a magnetic kick stand where I could swap back & forth between keyboard & kick. BTW, all of ESR’s magnetic options ar not compatible with each other. Weird. I’d go with a Magic Keyboard is someone could sell such a kick stand.

Reactions: steve217

shadowboi

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Hopefully I have a MacBook for that. And my ancient iPad is still ok for lying in bed and doing some casual gaming rarely when I got some time.

Back in the days when I was in uni I have just been connecting the wired keyboard (generic, cheap 5$ keyboard that STILL works good) with Apple Lightning connector and that’s how I made all of my essays. But I had no MacBook back then because it was butterfly-keyboard era and I abstained from playing this russian roulette until M1 came out

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive

Ettepetje

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
More important than all the tipping-over stuff: getting any scratchy, sand-like, grainy stuff between the ipad and this new metal keyboard. A horrible combination, seeing there is zero distance as Apple wanted to go all-in on the thinnest, lightest solution for the IPP+MKB combo. An accident waiting to happen soon, if not on day one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.