Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I had a leftover remote from a Fire Stick and decided to see if I could fit an AirTag inside. I figured if people are drilling holes through these things, there was no DIY project too stupid to pass on.

Cracking into the remote was a bit like removing the front from a gen 1–5 iPod, but with a lot more plastic tabs to prize apart. I had to cut away a bit of the support inside near the IR transceiver to make room for the AirTag.

tempImagepOVVzs.png

The AirTag was similar; no screws and a lot of time spent working a razor back and forth between the gap in the plastic. The speaker is kinda structurally integral to the AirTag, so it came apart as soon as I got the circuitboard exposed.

I briefly toyed with the idea of repurposing a dead EarPod for a speaker but couldn't make room in the remote.

There wasn't any room for a battery either, so I wired it in parallel with the remote since they're both 3v. This had the added benefit of making it so I don't need to take the whole thing apart to replace the batteries.

tempImagewbh6NJ.png

Interestingly, the AirTag wont turn on unless there are three points of contact with the battery, so I had to bridge the outermost contact points.

tempImageBWXls2.png

Putting the remote back together was the biggest PITA, but all in all, it was a pretty fun DIY project for someone with an Amazon device for television and Apple devices for… literally everything else. :)

PS: Yes, I know and am sorry about how bad I am at soldering. I'm a good person and have many other redeeming qualities, I swear.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
No fancy AngerDanger CGI animation to accompany this project so unfortunately I'm going to have to -1. Sorry.

Jokes aside, this is a decent idea and if anything makes me irritated that the new Apple TV remote doesn't have AirTag tracking built into it.

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
No fancy AngerDanger CGI animation to accompany this project so unfortunately I'm going to have to -1. Sorry.

Jokes aside, this is a decent idea and if anything makes me irritated that the new Apple TV remote doesn't have AirTag tracking built into it.

Apple will release a new remote with AirTag built inside later this year so everyone can rush out to buy it after they just bought the new AppleTv lol

Tenkaykev

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020
I had a leftover remote from a Fire Stick and decided to see if I could fit an AirTag inside. I figured if people are drilling holes through these things, there was no DIY project too stupid to pass on.

Cracking into the remote was a bit like removing the front from a gen 1–5 iPod, but with a lot more plastic tabs to prize apart. I had to cut away a bit of the support inside near the IR transceiver to make room for the AirTag.

View attachment 1772095

The AirTag was similar; no screws and a lot of time spent working a razor back and forth between the gap in the plastic. The speaker is kinda structurally integral to the AirTag, so it came apart as soon as I got the circuitboard exposed.

I briefly toyed with the idea of repurposing a dead EarPod for a speaker but couldn't make room in the remote.

There wasn't any room for a battery either, so I wired it in parallel with the remote since they're both 3v. This had the added benefit of making it so I don't need to take the whole thing apart to replace the batteries.

View attachment 1772098

Interestingly, the AirTag wont turn on unless there are three points of contact with the battery, so I had to bridge the outermost contact points.

View attachment 1772099

Putting the remote back together was the biggest PITA, but all in all, it was a pretty fun DIY project for someone with an Amazon device for television and Apple devices for… literally everything else. :)

View attachment 1772094

PS: Yes, I know and am sorry about how bad I am at soldering. I'm a good person and have many other redeeming qualities, I swear.
Bravo sir! Top tinkering ?

Reactions: AngerDanger

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Wow, now I am inspired to put it in my Harmony remote and run it off the rechargeable battery.

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021

View attachment 1772095

View attachment 1772098

View attachment 1772099

View attachment 1772094

Dang... nice! Apple TV remote next?

• Haha

waigx

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2014
Amazing work, just i assume the “play sound” stops working because the airtag’s case acts as the diaphragm
oh you’ve mentioned that

legatoboy

macrumors member
May 12, 2007
Why not just buy a second remote?
Save the environment, create less waste,in fact I think we should create less gadget and try to build product that lasts longer (generations). Use our brain more to remember where we it our remote and develop good habits of putting things where they belong. Unfortunately that’s nothing the world we live in.

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
Save the environment, create less waste,in fact I think we should create less gadget and try to build product that lasts longer (generations). Use our brain more to remember where we it our remote and develop good habits of putting things where they belong. Unfortunately that’s nothing the world we live in.
Then by your words we don't need Airtags either. No reason to buy them. You know, cuz they create waste and people should remember where they put things. ?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
who even looses a remote its only gonna be in the room
Not to sound cliché, I think anyone can lose a remote given enough practice.

I started off small, losing things like Tic Tacs and coins until I worked my way up to matchbooks and wallets. From there, it only took a few weeks to perfect the remote.

If you find it especially difficult, don't be discouraged; you'll get there soon. :)

I put an AirTag up my butt, and now I can easily tell the difference between my ass and a hole in the ground.
Awesome, dude! Really looking forward to your thread!

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002

I was wondering that too, but look at the hysteria of the well known tracker AirTag itself to the stalker fantasy fetishist. How would that amplify if it could be an AirPod case or an AppleTV remote doing the same thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.