Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drifty_Child

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
USA
I currently have a mid-2012 Macbook Pro, 1TB HDD, quad-core 2.6Ghz, 8GB. I use my computer for game design, from coding and running in Unity to making 3D graphics in Maya. I also do the Adobe creative cloud.

Over a week ago, a stranger spilled a whole soda on my laptop on the bus, then upon realizing what happened, he fled out of sight. Now it will turn on and function, but the keyboard is barely useable. In addition, it was already showing signs of age anyway, with wifi randomly refusing to be enabled without a restart, and drag-and-drop occasionally breaking without a restart, a USB port flat-out not working, the battery being long overdue for replacement, and the whole system being slow in general. I need a new laptop.

However, from what I'm reading on this forum, is sounds like the mid-2018 model is controversial and prone to awful issues, like frequent kernel panics, restarting in its sleep, heating up inside bags, etc.

So I'm asking, what should I buy? Should I risk approaching obsoleteness and buy another mid-2012? Should I go for a different old model? Should I chance it with the 2016 or 2017 fragile keyboards? Should I chance it with a 2018 model? Should try to somehow chug along with my current soda-ruined MBP until 2020? Settle for a PC?

(Also, just how big of a power difference is the base 2018 model from my 2012 model?)

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
You will, by and large, only hear about problems on this forum. Mainly because no-one posts just to say "I bought a MacBook Pro and nothing went wrong with it". My 2018 13" has been flawless so far. I even like the butterfly keyboard ( shocking I know!).
If its a concern then add AppleCare if your budget will allow it but I would go for the 2018. I'm really enjoying it as a solid upgrade to my 2015 13".

I`m not saying that no-one has any issues with them, just that issues are pretty much the only thing you'll hear about on here.
The majority are, I'm quite sure, just using their machines and getting on with life.
No offence to anyone just my 2 cents.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
However, from what I'm reading on this forum, is sounds like the mid-2018 model is controversial and prone to awful issues

The 2018 MBP has its share of issues like every other laptop on the market. Are they awful? That, in my opinion, is a mild exaggeration.

like frequent kernel panics, restarting in its sleep, heating up inside bags, etc.

Yes, there is an issue with the newer T2 chip that has been plaguing some of the machines. Conservatively, I'd estimate that around 10-20% are affected. The symptoms are random crashes. We have one affected machine at work, so far it crashed twice in October and November.

restarting in its sleep, heating up inside bags, etc.

Now those are issues I never heard about... where did you get this from?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
However, from what I'm reading on this forum, is sounds like the mid-2018 model is controversial and prone to awful issues, like frequent kernel panics, restarting in its sleep, heating up inside bags, etc.
I have to say that the 2018 rollout has been problem plagued and very un-apple like. I see complaints about coil whine, speaker crackle, and the biggest issue so far the T2/Bridge OS crashing. I'm not incurring any of those issues, but since these laptops cost almost (if not more) then 3,000 it would give me pause. I bought my MBP before these issues came to light, but with that said I do think those folks are in the minority.

Now those are issues I never heard about... where did you get this from?
I've had this occur with other (non-apple) laptops. I wouldn't say this is an issue with apple. See this thread Scary incident - Macbook Pro spun up in bag

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I've had this occur with other (non-apple) laptops. I wouldn't say this is an issue with apple. See this thread Scary incident - Macbook Pro spun up in bag

Yeah, I remember that thread, but it was a single report and the poster was also doing some unconventional stuff, like booting from external ssd. Nothing about 2018 models systematically waking up from sleep. Not to mention that it wasn’t even a 2018 model...

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I currently have a mid-2012 Macbook Pro, 1TB HDD, quad-core 2.6Ghz, 8GB.

(Also, just how big of a power difference is the base 2018 model from my 2012 model?)

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012)
Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 6.25.33 AM.png

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2018)

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 6.26.25 AM.png

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
The Apple store now shows $1699 as the price for the base 2018 MBP. Maybe it's special holiday pricing. It looks like most of their computers are anywhere from $50-$100 off.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
The Apple store now shows $1699 as the price for the base 2018 MBP. Maybe it's special holiday pricing. It looks like most of their computers are anywhere from $50-$100 off.

You sure you're not on the education site? Still shows $1799 for me.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Whatever laptop you decide on...

... I wouldn't be using it on the bus no mo'...!

Drifty_Child

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
USA
Thank you to everyone for their responses. And thanks for the benchmark scores.

So if I'm reading you right, are you saying getting the 2018 model is a safe bet, and I should buy it without significant worry?

How do I add Apple Care now? I recall when I last bought a Macbook, the option was right on the customization page. Now it's not there. I've never used Apple Care before. If one of the known issues comes up, will Apple Care replace the machine?

Last edited:

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
I picked up the Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
  • 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-Core
  • 16GB of 2133 MHz RAM | 512GB SSD
  • 15.4" 2880 x 1800 Retina Display
  • AMD Radeon Pro 560 Graphics (4GB GGDR5)
Never looked back.

For $1300, that laptop was a really awesome deal.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Thank you to everyone for their responses. And thanks for the benchmark scores.

So if I'm reading you right, are you saying getting the 2018 model is a safe bet, and I should buy it without significant worry?

I have one and am quite happy with. I've had no issues other than I have to learn not to rest mu hand on the left side since I keep hitting escape by accident.

How do I add Apple Care now? I recall when I last bought a Macbook, the option was right on the customization page. Now it's not there. I've never used Apple Care before. If one of the known issues comes up, will Apple Care replace the machine?

You can buy it when you buy the machine, or add it on later. For AC+ you no longer have 1 year to buy it, the new limit is 60 days IIRC. They have an educational price for it that saves about $20 or $30.

As for replacing the machine, it depends. My experience is they first will try to fix it but if issues persist replace it with the same or newer model; but it depends on the circumstances.

BTW: Apple offers discounts equal to the education one for military, federal, state and local employees at their government site.

Last edited:

gollum

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
NKY
You can buy it when you buy the machine, or add it on later. For AC+ you no longer have 1 year to buy it, the new limit is 60 days IIRC. They have an educational price for it that saves about $20 or $30.

BTW: Apple offers discounts equal to the education one for military, federal, state and local employees at their government site.

Big companies have them too, I work for major airline and I can get $25 off AC+ for my 2018 Air.

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
Go with the 2018 if anything. The 2016 keyboard, which I was a big defender of, will fail at some point. Mine just did and I have 4 other friends and colleagues with the same model and same issue.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Big companies have them too, I work for major airline and I can get $25 off AC+ for my 2018 Air.
I forgot about that; even though I could also get the discount through a previous employer. Never hurts to ask at a the Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.