Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wonga1127

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
Wishing for a magic bus.
I'd have to agree, but the problem is putting the revolution in an appealing package, ie price, learning curve, and software. There needs to be something completly unique about the revolution, something that will make people drop loads in their pants and max out their credit cards. The problem is now is that there is no more room for startups, so there's no one to make new ideas happen.

PS: Matte touchscreens rarely show fingerprints, just try it with yours.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
I'd love to see more "different" things from Apple. These days, however, it appears to be a major feat of technical and creative engineering to get things to work together without breaking.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
cwright said:
Family Guy movie quote? hehe :D
Hahaha, nice! Oooh yeah!

"Hi. I'm Tom Tucker. Do me a favor and fill this bag with a sampling of motion pictures featuring women on women or anything with an Amputee."

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
thejadedmonkey said:
Am I the only one who wishes Apple would think different? I mean...lets look at their lineup. Laptops, desktops. Look at Dell...Laptops, desktops.

What ever happened to thinking different?
What ever happened to the media center (iHome) idea?

and why in G-d's name am I still using the same archaic input devices that were being used 20 years ago. the monitor is the same shape...the mouse doesn't have blocky corners, but it's still a mouse.

Right now I'm sitting on my chair, facing a 6 year old monitor. I don't want an LCD, because it would mean spending more money for a useless 6" of space. Why can't apple make touch screen LCD's for the masses. If I want to do something, I use my fingers on the screen, or say what it is that I want to appear.

Dashboard is a step in the right direction, because it is another layer to the OS, but it's just that- a step.

What I really want is a revolution. We've had 20+ years of evolution, isn't it time we had a computing revolution?

Sorry, this has just been bugging me...and now seemed like a good of a time as any to say it.

because all that tech is clumsy and slower than a good mouse and keyboard.

apple does not often do things different just for the heck of it, it has to work better for it, either aesthetically or practically.

Soton Speed

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2006
UK
baleensavage said:
I think that you have a very interesting point here. If, for example, you look at all those scifi movies, they've got computers that talk to them, interactive holograms and so on. Some of this stuff is actually possible now, but where is it?....

...And besides, if you think computers haven't changed, take a look at cars. Where are those floating plastic cars that drive for you and run on garbage?

I thought we were all meant to be going to work in helicopters by now?!

knackroller

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
I agree, we could all do with better input devices than the mouse. How about that translucent screen in MINORITY REPORT (Tom Cruise)? Anyone know if a real prototype of that is on the cards?

pacman7331

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2006
thejadedmonkey said:
What ever happened to thinking different?
What ever happened to the media center (iHome) idea?

and why in G-d's name am I still using the same archaic input devices that were being used 20 years ago. the monitor is the same shape...the mouse doesn't have blocky corners, but it's still a mouse.

Right now I'm sitting on my chair, facing a 6 year old monitor. I don't want an LCD, because it would mean spending more money for a useless 6" of space. Why can't apple make touch screen LCD's for the masses. If I want to do something, I use my fingers on the screen, or say what it is that I want to appear.

Dashboard is a step in the right direction, because it is another layer to the OS, but it's just that- a step.

What I really want is a revolution. We've had 20+ years of evolution, isn't it time we had a computing revolution?

Sorry, this has just been bugging me...and now seemed like a good of a time as any to say it.

It is becuase Apple Is not a insitution. Therefore they have insitutionalized everything that they ever first thought up. Nothing is really changing... It's just becomming more refined.

So... This is what happens to insitutions... They resist changes of the underlying founding principle. The Mouse, The HD screen the graphics interface is all a idea of the late 70s... I don't think apple will be the ones "thinking diffrent" ever again.

the only real jump in progress is the half-step decision to put one foot in open source and one foot out. So even this is superficial and completly habitual behavior, the habit of resisting profound change... come to think of it... it's not just apple's it's monkeys and sapians as well. ;)

ejb190

macrumors 65816
A revolution in computers comes back to throwing away all preconceived notions about what a computer is and how it works. The problem is we have become accustomed to the way a computer screen looks, how icons function, and how we interact with the computer.

Imagine if we were to take a car, get rid of the steering wheel and replace it with a track ball (or a stick or whatever). The "purists" will scream that we are destroying automotive tradition, the car companies will need to invest millions on the technology and knowledge base to change the cars, and the consumers, no matter how much better the new system is, will resist the change simply because it is different then what they are used to. And that is why cars haven't changed much in the last 50 years. Seems to me that computers are following the same path...

Another side to this is the compatability issue. We refuse to give up what we have now in order to move the technology forward. So we have Windows XP, which will still run software written for Win 3.1. To make the next leap forward, both in sofware and hardware, we have to be willing to give up the "comfortable" to find the "revolutionary".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.