Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
the hard drive in my ibook has gone bad and i wanted to know the efforts required to replace that hard drive. I did a lil homework and found that the ibook im using (dual usb, 500 mhz G3 2001) uses ata-66. i went looking around newegg and found some great prices for hard drives that were ata-6. would those hard drives at ata-6 work or do i need to be very specific with the 66?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Any ATA-6 drive should be OK. I think the Toshiba that I have is an ATA-6 drive. Just make sure you get a 2.5" drive, 9.5 mm height MAX.

While you're inside the iBook, there are a couple of things you need to be really careful with.

1. Use the right sized screwdrivers. You don't want to strip the wrong ones.

2. Be extremely careful when disconnecting the trackpad ribbon. The connector that the ribbon sits in is connected to the motherboard and can be very fragile. You don't want to snap that connector off like I did. Otherwise you'll be using a mouse all the time.

3. Get a good take-apart guide (try pbfixit.com) and keep track of all your screws.

4. Be patient when trying to take the bottom casing off. You don't want to crack that case.

5. Lastly, when putting everything back together, don't forget the magnet that sits on the right side of the case, just below the optical drive.

Good Luck. With a little patience, you'll be able to swap the drive out.

ft

EDIT - check out xlr8yourmac.com and the Drive Compatibility chart. You'll see other people who have swapped out their hard drives and their opinions and tips.

ddekker

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2006
Michigan
drive in an iBook

anyone know if the iBook (G4 1.04) has any firmware issues with larger drives? I want to replace the drive with a 100 gig and I remember back on my old old imac that the first partition had to be less than 10 gig and it even took my mac guru some time to figure that out..lol.. I have been switching over to mac for quite some time (still use PC's at work all day) .. you can read the rest of my switching trials at the site below..

thanks,

DD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.