Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Now that H.264 is available for PC and they have enough experience programming for x86 Apple should really step up and bring iChat to Windows.

They should add some SIP compliant VoIP function and really try to steal some of MSN's and Skype's user base.
The only reason why they might not be doing this is because they are currently relying on AIM more or less and may have a contract that forbids them to enter the Windows market.
I guess although Apple has just introduced new functions to iChat, I don't think they suffice. The problem I currently see is, that with all the new apps emerging that support VoIP, which all bring a new text protocoll, the IM world is getting spread out more and more.
I am all pro choice and competition but interoperability would not only be nice but I think a necessesity. Multi-protocoll clients cannot keep up with the current speed of new protocols and you end up using more than 1 or 2 clients, which is just annoying.
I think Apple has the power to actually become a defacto standard like MSN and Skype is looking to be and end this crazyness.

What do you guys think?

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2005
Uhh no. If they add anything it should be combining multiple lists into one and making video chat faster.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't think Apple will release a Windows iChat. Remember, they've gotta make the switch enticing and supplying Windows users with more and more of our (OSX) software is not necessarily a good start.

Will the Windows clients be able to use the codec from Quicktime 7.0?

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
mad jew said:
I don't think Apple will release a Windows iChat. Remember, they've gotta make the switch enticing and supplying Windows users with more and more of our (OSX) software is not necessarily a good start.

Will the Windows clients be able to use the codec from Quicktime 7.0?

Why wouldn't it be able to?

I agree that more software for Windows is bad but in the case of software that needs market share, like IM clients I think it is necessary.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
mad jew said:
I mean that any Windows client will be able to use the codec so there'd be no real need for an explicitly Apple client. Reckon that's possible?

I wouldn't think so, I mean I don't think Apple has an open API for that. I guess it'd be possible if Apple opened it up but I doubt they would.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Why? PC users get AIM and AIM has video support. If Apple had their own proprietary service then it could be an argument - but iChat doesn't offer anything new to the Windows crowd - only a non-standard Windows UI.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Diatribe said:
I wouldn't think so, I mean I don't think Apple has an open API for that. I guess it'd be possible if Apple opened it up but I doubt they would.
Apple has a QuickTime SDK for Windows available for QuickTime version 6. I would not be surprised if Apple decided to release the QuickTime 7 SDK for Windows as soon as the Windows version leaves Public Preview status.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.