Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucansmiles

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Vienna, Austria
Ok, I get the idea Apple has in mind with iCloud Photo Library, a uniform library synced across all your devices containing all your precious photos, and when something is changed, it's being changed everywhere, I do get it.

The question I'm asking myself is when the Mac Photos app is released next year, I guess you will be able to transfer your photos from Aperture and iPhoto to the new app, right? Currently, my Aperture library's size is 38GB and I will be refusing to upgrade my iCloud storage since I don't want to be dependent on yet another company asking me to pay on a monthly basis. That means I will only have a maximum of 5GB of iCloud storage available for all my photos.

At this point the idea of that uniform library is shattered. To solve this problem, I guess one device (which would be your Mac) would be acting as some kind of "central" that keeps the complete library, and either the user can decide which photos to push to the cloud or the app automatically pushes the latest 5GB to the cloud. This is utterly confusing... What are your thoughts on how Apple will handle these kinds of situations?

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
my Aperture library's size is 38GB and I will be refusing to upgrade my iCloud storage since I don't want to be dependent on yet another company asking me to pay on a monthly basis.

Everything will basicially stop working/syncing after 5GB. The idea that a company gives you free space is nuts. I pay $3.99/month for 200GB of space. That's an incredible deal, considered it's not ad supported.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
My attitude to it would be put your hand in your pocket or don't use it. I wouldn't expect to have my entire photo library stored in the cloud without paying a bit for it. Apples new storage prices are outrageously cheap and I'm more than happy to pay £2.99 a month to have my entire photo library stored and synced over iCloud. It's something I've been desperate for for a long time.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Their storage prices are much more expensive than their competitors, many of which don't count photos toward the limit. So, "outrageously cheap" may be an overstatement.

My attitude to it would be put your hand in your pocket or don't use it. I wouldn't expect to have my entire photo library stored in the cloud without paying a bit for it. Apples new storage prices are outrageously cheap and I'm more than happy to pay £2.99 a month to have my entire photo library stored and synced over iCloud. It's something I've been desperate for for a long time.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Their storage prices are much more expensive than their competitors, many of which don't count photos toward the limit. So, "outrageously cheap" may be an overstatement.

I didn't look at competitors prices as cloud storage for my photos with another service would be useless as they don't fit in with the Apple ecosystem, if I can't access the photos directly from iPhoto and the photos apps on my iOS devices then it's no use to me. £2.99 a month for my photo library in the cloud is outrageously cheap for me regardless of what competitors are charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.