Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhalandrew

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
i was thinking about why Apple would make the iphone screen taller not wider, and one main reason i could think of was that the keyboard would stay the same. Then i thought, what about in landscape mode, would the keyboard just be spread out? would there just be grey bars on the side? not that anyone here would know i just thought it was something interesting to think about

Catdogchicken

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
Sheffield UK
I really don't think the keyboard is a deciding factor for Apple 'apparently releasing' a stretched 4S. I'd imagine it would be straight forward to space the keys out a little to the side if it was to be wider.

If it does (all pointing to probable now) turn out to be a long 4S, I just hope they explain why in the keynote, what reason they didn't do wider (non developer reasons, as going wider is easier for them than going retina was for the iPhone 4)

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
This is a good point, that keyboard is going to be wide!! I can barely use it as it is :p

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
I actually like the 4s just as a phone to put in your pocket.

I would buy one now but curiosity about Sept 12 stops me!! :D

If its taller I wont buy.

If its taller and wider I might buy.

If I don't like I buy a 4s cheaper than now. :D

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
i was thinking about why Apple would make the iphone screen taller not wider, and one main reason i could think of was that the keyboard would stay the same. Then i thought, what about in landscape mode, would the keyboard just be spread out? would there just be grey bars on the side? not that anyone here would know i just thought it was something interesting to think about

We're all trying to figure out why Apple would only go taller on such a tiny screen. 16:9 is fine on a larger screen, but something as tiny as the iPhone screen will still be just as painful to use as ever.

I think it's: "let's play it as safe as possible while still hitting the 4" target screen".

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
I really hate using the iphone's small screen, and to make it longer, it's still tiny because the width is the same.

I really jealous looking at android, especially the nexus prime and galaxy s3, i tried to convert but i just can't. I kept coming back to iPhone because iOS and all the polished third party apps are my preference.

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Perhaps I am in the minority, but I like the iPhone as is. Works perfect for me. Longer may be helpful. Otherwise, I am good.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Perhaps I am in the minority, but I like the iPhone as is. Works perfect for me. Longer may be helpful. Otherwise, I am good.

I'm in the same boat. The size is great, and a little longer would be perfect. I never use the phone in Landscape except when watching a youtube video. Mostly using the phone in portrait mode, the length will be welcomed for web browsing. I don't want it wider b.c I hate the direction smartphones are going with 4.5+ screens....just to big to hold with one hand IMO.

4" is a safe move on apple's part. For as many people that want bigger than are tons who still want small. Going too big would definitely cause me to not upgrade, and I would use the 4S until it stopped getting support.

pad07

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2007
I actually like the 4s just as a phone to put in your pocket.

I would buy one now but curiosity about Sept 12 stops me!! :D

If its taller I wont buy.

If its taller and wider I might buy.

If I don't like I buy a 4s cheaper than now. :D

I bet you by Christmas you have the next iPhone, which is taller and not wider.

subrar08

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
I think the screen should not be bigger than iPhone 4, i love it as a standard for phone, as phone must not be a tablet.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It would be pretty easy for Apple to allow us to optionally split the keyboard, much like on the iPad, while in landscape mode. If this is the new iPhone we have been seeing, I'd bet my money that they do that.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010

The deciding factor to switch to 16:9 1136 X 640 is so more content is able to be seen. Scaling up a 3:2 screen just makes things bigger but still doesn't display more content.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Increase the resolution, as other phones (and displays) have done for years. Problem solved.

Yes but that wouldn't be as clean and easy as just adding pixels lengthwise (in portrait). With the way they're doing it, the @2X graphics will work just fine.

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2012
I'm in the same boat. The size is great, and a little longer would be perfect. I never use the phone in Landscape except when watching a youtube video. Mostly using the phone in portrait mode, the length will be welcomed for web browsing. I don't want it wider b.c I hate the direction smartphones are going with 4.5+ screens....just to big to hold with one hand IMO.

4" is a safe move on apple's part. For as many people that want bigger than are tons who still want small. Going too big would definitely cause me to not upgrade, and I would use the 4S until it stopped getting support.

You're going to be very disappointed then in the future because I don't see phones going back to small screens for a while.

These things go around in cycles (for years)...the iPhone needs to be bigger to keep up.

And I highly doubt that going .5" wider would not allow you to hold the phone anymore...

yegon

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
While I think we're likely nailed on for just a taller phone (sadly imo), imagine how utterly utterly awesome it'd be if Apple revealed a 4"-4.3" screen with a doubled res of 1920x1280 and tiny bezel! Absolutely is NOT going to happen, we'd have had a tonne of leaks from the screen manufacturer, but that would be mindblowing nonetheless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.