Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iFixit today announced that its do-it-yourself iPhone battery replacement kits will remain $29.99 until the end of 2019.

ifixit-iphone-6-800x476.jpg

The repair website lowered the price of its kits in late 2017 to match Apple's discounted iPhone battery replacement fee of $29, which ended on December 31, 2018. Apple now charges $49 to replace the battery in the iPhone 6 through iPhone 8 Plus and $69 for the iPhone X and newer outside of warranty.

Apple had lowered its battery replacement fee after controversy erupted about a performance management feature it quietly introduced in iOS 10.2.1. The feature, when enabled, has the potential of slowing down older iPhone models with degraded batteries when necessary to prevent unexpected shutdowns.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said Apple replaced 11 million iPhones in 2018, up from a usual one to two million per year, according to John Gruber.

iFixit's kits include all of the tools necessary to open up an iPhone and swap in a new battery for those willing to give it a try. If the idea of opening up your iPhone sounds uncomfortable to you, it is probably best to stick to the Genius Bar.

Note that do-it-yourself iPhone battery replacements can have warranty implications.

Article Link: iFixit's Do-it-Yourself iPhone Battery Replacement Kits to Remain $29.99 Until End of 2019

Reactions: Vanilla35

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Kit price is quite high. You can get a battery for $10 that includes basic tools. Separating the lid is the hardest part so invest in a good iOpener.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Kit price is quite high. You can get a battery for $10 that includes basic tools. Separating the lid is the hardest part so invest in a good iOpener.
Didn't think it was too bad. Apple charge $79 right and you don't get to keep the tools either.

BaccaBossMC

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2016
NC, USA
I used an iFixit battery kit on my mom's dying iPhone 6. Great instructions and high quality tools. For $5 over the price of just the battery and adhesive strips, you can get a pretty solid set of tools that I have used on several repairs, from my pocket knives to my macbook. I can't emphasize this enough: excellent quality parts and tools!

Last edited:

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
I have a hard time believing a $10 battery is safe. Batteries and acdc adapters are the most suseptible to seriously dangerous failure if cheaply made. Do not skimp on these.

The reviews on Cooliggs are very good - 4.5 stars. You think spending more equals better quality but look at where that has gotten Apple recently.

Reactions: WiiDSmoker

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Didn't think it was too bad. Apple charge $79 right and you don't get to keep the tools either.

The article you are commenting states Apple charges 49 untile iPhone 8+ and 69 for X and newer. That said, I don't understand the comparison, the user you are replying to says the kit is expensive in his opinion, it's not talking about a batter without kit.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I got a genuine Apple battery and strips that came with a cheaper, generic toolkit that was sufficient to do the repair to my 6s+. Cost me £15 after a battery swap was refused on my phone because the water sensors had been triggered. Removing and replacing the sticky strips was by far the trickiest part of the job.

Generic batteries may do the job just as well but probably won't be recognised by the battery health app in iOS 12.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
very nice price from ifixit, at $49 apple is not that far off

but what is important, this battery fiasco created Battery replacement awareness ... I replaced my wife's iPhone 7 battery for $30 in third party vendor store (since living outside USA now), within 10 minutes they replaced just like that. walk in and walk out with new battery.

If not for this battery replacement awareness, we might have ended up buying the new iPhone, not buying the iPhone every two years... may be every three or four years depending on what is new ...

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
The most interesting part of this to me is Apple is still keeping their battery replacement costs ($49 or $6) lower than they were previously ($79)... does open my eyes a bit to Apple's pricing policies.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Generic batteries may do the job just as well but probably won't be recognised by the battery health app in iOS 12.
yup, we have seen this issue, even with apple battery but replaced by third party, not sure if the battery health app works ONLY if reset the iPhone or not. currently it says 79% (same like the old battery) even though it is new battery and it works like new battery ...

Ultramove69

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2017
Columbus Ohio, USA
Does this kit include the adhesive seal that maintains water resistance around the display? I don’t plan on swimming with my iPhone but would like to maintain my water resistance rating if possible.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
My original iPhone 6 battery still is working good and was not under the $29 Apple replacement.
I would rather not replace it myself just in case it gets broke and then I have to buy another. I want a service that would replace it if they brake it.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Does this kit include the adhesive seal that maintains water resistance around the display? I don’t plan on swimming with my iPhone but would like to maintain my water resistance rating if possible.
Best bet would be to contact iFixit directly. I have dealt with them while repairing my sons iP 5. Great customer service and they will know the answer to your question.

Reactions: Shanpdx

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
My original iPhone 6 battery still is working good and was not under the $29 Apple replacement.
I would rather not replace it myself just in case it gets broke and then I have to buy another. I want a service that would replace it if they brake it.

This is a good point, although I love iFixit. Had batteries replaced in 2 6s's and an SE last year at Apple. They hosed the screen in the 1st 6s in the process and gave me a new one. (Asked for the same guy when I came back with the other 6s and SE but no luck...)

I'd lean towards to the $49 Apple option at this point because of that.

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
Apple should just put decent quality batteries in the phones in the first place we should get better quality for what we pay for the phones.

Reactions: HJM.NL

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
God bless iFixit. Their service has pumped life into several iDevices over the years. They are a vocal savior in the Right To Repair cause. If not for third party vendors like iFixit, none of us would even be able to have phones older than the iPhone X unless Apple sold you another every two years. Think about it.

Is this a typo? Shouldn't it say 11 million batteries? Maybe not. Apple's in-Store repair services are an illusion. The so-called technicians are just diagnosticians. Software guesses the problem for them. They rarely open a device except to inspect for water damage. Logistically, it's more realistic to give you a unit replacement rather than attempt a repair on the premises (Fans think Apple is being generous).

I got a genuine Apple battery... Generic batteries may do the job just as well but probably won't be recognised by the battery health app in iOS 12.
How did you acquire an OEM battery? Apple refuses to sell them to third parties and customers.

You're right that the phone's Battery Health monitor won't recognize non-OEM batteries. Fortunately, properly-spec'd aftermarket batteries still perform as well. That won't be possible much longer. Apple's so-called T2 security chip that is appearing in newer products, will prohibit the use of non-OEM replacement parts, even in out-of-warranty devices. Yet Apple won't sell those parts to other vendors. (And we're supposed to feel empathy for Apple in their contest with Qualcomm?)

Reactions: HJM.NL

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I have a hard time believing a $10 battery is safe. Batteries and acdc adapters are the most suseptible to seriously dangerous failure if cheaply made. Do not skimp on these.

I have the same concerns. I notice there are no regulatory approvals on the face of the battery in the above photo. Are they on the back? If not there, that would be a no-go for me.

Ditto with battery chargers.
[doublepost=1548861037][/doublepost]
Is this a typo? Shouldn't it say 11 million batteries? Maybe not. Apple's in-Store repair services are an illusion. The so-called technicians are just diagnosticians. Software guesses the problem for them. They rarely open a device except to inspect for water damage. Logistically, it's more realistic to give you a unit replacement rather than attempt a repair on the premises (Fans think Apple is being generous).

Yes, it is 11 million battery replacements in 2019 - up from 1-2 million battery replacements in previous years.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
It's actually not $29.99 for the iFixit kit, it's $34.99 because they charge for shipping (unless you spend $100).

$49.99 vs $34.99 so only $15 difference.

Reactions: TGM85

kylewiens

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2015

Yes, the kit comes with replacement a adhesive gasket in an protective sleeve that makes alignment straightforward.

The waterproofing gasket wears out over time, so it's actually a good idea to open the phone up every so often and replace it. I wouldn't do that more often than you replace the battery, which should probably be about every eighteen months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.