Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ikea this week added to its line of HomeKit-connected smart home products with the launch of the Kadrilj and Fyrtur smart roller blinds, which are now available for purchase in Germany.

Both of the smart blind products are powered via a battery that allows users to raise or lower them through an included remote control, a smartphone app, or through Alexa, Google Assistant, or HomeKit.

Demo video via Zatz Not Funny

The blinds come in six different sizes to fit a variety of windows, ranging from 80x195cm to 140x195cm. Both are a gray shade, but the Kadrilj is a darker gray than the Fyrtur and less transparent.

ikeablinds1.jpg

Ikea's website says that the blinds are available in some German Ikea stores, and will be available online starting on February 2. Pricing starts at 99 euros for Kadrilj and 199 euros for Fyrtur.

ikeablinds2.jpg

It's not yet clear if the February 2 online rollout will include availability in the United States, but with the blinds available in Germany, a U.S. launch is not likely to be too far behind.

Update: Ikea's HomeKit-enabled smart blinds will be available in the United States starting on April 1. Ikea plans to sell the Fyrtur model in the U.S., with the Kadrilj model limited to other countries.

Article Link: Ikea's HomeKit-Enabled Smart Blinds Launch in Germany, U.S. Launch Coming April 1 [Updated]

pixelrogue

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2012
So interested in these, yet it appears the outside of the blinds are also gray making these a deal breaker when you association laws state white only on the outside. White inly on the outside is actually required at most associations. Shame.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
The blinds...

Not trying to be overly picky, but these look like smart shades, not smart blinds, where blinds are generally understood to have slats--and for me the distinction is important with "smart" products because I'm looking for something affordable that can tilt the slats, not just open/close or raise/lower an entire shade (or curtain). I'm still waiting. MoveZ looks like the most promising should it ever actually be released (not the "regular" Move, since I don't want something that can't be integrated with any other system--and speaking of integration, these blinds are nice since they integrate with Tradfri and would presumably also be able to be able to be made usable on other ZigBee networks).

Killbill2

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2017
It would be nice if Ikea would spend some time keeping their hub usable... I’ve tossed all my Ikea “HomeKit” gear because of having to restart the device every couple of days while Philips Hue has never had a problem... other than the price.

Last edited:

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
I've always wanted motorized sun shades but they've always been a prohibitively expensive upgrade. Now they're slightly less so. Cool.

Reactions: bketchum

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Now I’d be up for some motorised curtain versions but not these.

I have floor to ceiling windows and pulling curtains is never fun due to inability to move them fully open. I also like the ability to open them to wake naturally but also have blackout at night because of powerful street lighting that keep us awake.

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
Very cool. Also, I've got the feeling it will be relatively easy to swap out the fabrics in these.

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Very interested in these.

Do we have an info on how long that battery in the video that powers the motor lasts?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It would be nice if Ikea would spend some time keeping their hub usable... I’ve tossed all my Ikea “HomeKit” gear because of having to restart the device every couple of days while Philips Hue has never had a problem... other than the price.

For you, had/have lots of trouble with mine.

Very cool. Also, I've got the feeling it will be relatively easy to swap out the fabrics in these.

Hopefully, I want them to be opaque.

So now we’re so lazy we need smart blinds? What a waste of money.

What about less or difficult accessible places!

I tend to be lazy when I'm sleeping yes, so it would be cool to wake up with natural light via automation of smart blinds.

Exactly.

Very interested in these.

Do we have an info on how long that battery in the video that powers the motor lasts?

It seems to use Lithium cells, if you use them twice daily I bet they will last weeks if not months.

Also interested in hardwiring. Another battery I'll have to remember to change is very unappealing.

Not always easy to run cables, most of the time it's a major job.

Reactions: Stargher

RC Mike

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2015

I've got something like 25 sets of blinds. If I lived in an apartment with two windows, sure, I'd ask why, too.

Wish some good retrofit stuff would actually come out. Can't put up something as cheap as the Ikea stuff, and the nice stuff is pretty pricey.

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
These would be perfect for my living room, so glad I held off on buying new curtains.

I’m loving HomeKit, it’s so accessible

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Energy saving. Money saving.

In winter, they can open a sunny day to heat your house for free. In summer, they can close to deflect heat outside and cut your air conditioning bill.

With a bit of automation and integration (with a smart thermostat) they can do all the above while you're out at work.

That's where this is headed.
[doublepost=1546913644][/doublepost]
Why do no smart blinds / shades have solar power installed? Doesn’t that make sense
To charge the batteries? Makes perfect sense.

Reactions: MDF314159265

MDF314159265

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Temecula, CA
Hopefully available in feet/inches in America. This "centimeter" nonsense is insane! 10 mm = 1cm; 100cm=1m; 1000m=1km... Pfff! Who makes this stuff up!? Next thing you know they'll say 1 inch is equal to 2.54cm or 25.4mm.

12 inches = 1 foot - now THAT, is urithmatick!

:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.