Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
My iMac seems to attract dust. How often do you dust yours,and what do you use to dust the screen. I don't want to scratch the screen

Also Is dust getting under the screen a problem with iMacs?

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
My iMac seems to attract dust. How often do you dust yours,and what do you use to dust the screen. I don't want to scratch the screen

Microfiber cloth with glasses/iklear cleaning solution.

Yes. Dust under the glass is a major issue.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

On the previous generations it was, you mean. The 2012 models can't have any dust issues due to their sealed design. If there was no dust inside at the time of build, it won't develop over time. Of course, that means if you get some factory dust, you can't get it out. :(

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Old iMacs (24 and 27 inch) suffer from in-the-panel dust. That has nothing to do with the sealing, but with the heat as the panels are not vented normally. I expect this to happen on the new ones too as the panel is essentially the same. Really horrible one, never saw it this extreme:
Traces_iMac.jpg

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
It has been. Apple replaced the display and glass on my iMac under AppleCare slightly over a year ago and dust hasn't been an issue since then.

I suspect Apple has adjusted the display and glass such that dust is less of an issue with the 2012 design.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Old iMacs (24 and 27 inch) suffer from in-the-panel dust. That has nothing to do with the sealing, but with the heat as the panels are not vented normally. I expect this to happen on the new ones too as the panel is essentially the same. Really horrible one, never saw it this extreme:

Not all of them did this. My 3 year old 27" 2009 i7 iMac never did. It was on 24/7, too.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012

Microfibre cloths are good, but I just use whatever is around. I think the screen is pretty hardy.

computerstar

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009

You can buy a cleaning liquid that is available for computer and laptop screens.
Catching dust is normal. You cannot block the area because it will get hot. Just keep the window closed when possible.

Thanks.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010

I have this issue with my 2012 iMac and wanted to know if you apply the glasses/Iklear cleaning solution directly onto the screen? Thanks!

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Sure why not? Well, actually now that I think about it be careful not to spray on the edge of the glass, hairlines cracks are enough to seep the water behind the glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.