Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hong Kong-based designer Philip Lee turns Apple's Macs into figurines, and his latest project, the iBot G3, brings the iMac G3 to life in the form of an adorable robot.

ibotg31.jpg

The iBot G3, available in either Bondi Blue or Tangerine, takes the classic iMac G3 design and anthropomorphizes it with a little face, arms, and legs.

ibotg32.jpg

Apple's iMac G3 is one of its most iconic products, and the iBot G3 has been recreated faithfully with the teardrop-shaped enclosure made from translucent plastic and incredible detail like the CRT tube, ethernet ports, and ventilation fan, created through injection molding techniques.

ibotg33.jpg

These little bots are figurines and are not functional, but each one ships with a matching keyboard and mouse. The arms, which are attached to the iBot G3 via magnets, can be removed if you want an iBot that looks more like a classic Mac.

ibotg34.jpg

There is no Apple branding or Apple logos on the iBot G3, as Cult of Mac points out, which prevents Lee from running into legal troubles. The design of the iBot G3 is being finalized, but work on the toy is nearing completion.

Just got a test print from the factory. We still need to fine-tune him, but we are really happy about him.#classicbot #ibotg3 #ibot #playsometoys #designertoys #designertoy #designtoyart #designertoynation #arttoy #artyculture #arttoys #arttoyz #hongkongtoys #hongkongtoy #imacg3 pic.twitter.com/oe4i9777Aw - Philip lee (@Classicbot_toy) November 5, 2018

The iBot G3 comes in Bondi Blue or Tangerine and it is priced at $39. Orders placed now are set to ship out in December 2018.

Article Link: Designer Brings iMac G3 to Life With Cute iBot G3 Toy

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
Slot loading design would have been better but cute none-the-less.

So by robot, what are we talking about here, it talks? Moves? Controllable?

EDIT:
Read more of the article. They don't do anything. So they are not robots :( lol

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
So cool, only $40, could totally get one of these, or a Raspberry PI, or a bluetooth speaker, or a echo dot, or a quadcopter, or a chromecast...

fribhey

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2005

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
Cute, though the naming scheme is off. The blue one is referred to as ‘Bondi Blue’. However, where’s the IR port of the Rev A and B models? To my eyes, this is actually a Rev C/D ‘Blueberry’ model. Rev C/D did away with the IR port and Bondi Blue was no longer available as a colour option. It’s also with this revision (C/D) that Tangerine was first made available.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Cute, though the naming scheme is off. The blue one is referred to as ‘Bondi Blue’. However, where’s the IR port of the Rev A and B models? To my eyes, this is actually a Rev C/D ‘Blueberry’ model. Rev C/D did away with the IR port and Bondi Blue was no longer available as a colour option. It’s also with this revision (C/D) that Tangerine was first made available.

Yes. Thank you. At least someone here knows their history.

That’s Blueberry, not Bondi. And Bondi wasn’t contemporaneous with Tangerine anyways, as you note. Blueberry and Bondi are totally different colors. Might as well be night and day. #robotmacsculpturefail

Reactions: 2499723

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
It doesn’t have a slot loading drive though, but a tray like the original iMac G3.

Reactions: Gravydog316

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
FOOLS!!
Now I have the impetus to turn my old iMac into a God instead of an aquarium!!
MU WA HA HAAAAA!!!

[doublepost=1542017036][/doublepost]...anyone know how I can turn my iMac into an aquarium...?
i want to, but somehow it got a piece of case broken.
would it be glueable??

( i dug out my old Indigo iMac out a few months ago, & OH MY GOD IT WEIGHS A TON!!)
I am seriously wanting to turn it into a cool aquarium
[doublepost=1542017102][/doublepost]
No idea. I was literally only a toddler when these came out...

man i miss my colorful clear plastic childhood.

even our toaster was Bondi Blue lol

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.